great service

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dr Nick

great service

Post by Dr Nick »

just wanted to share 2 examples of really good customer service I experienced this week.

the first was TF Tuned.

I sent them my fattie's lefty fork for a service, after sign teir really straightforward booing service.

Got a really cheery phone call explaining what they'd done, asking if I'd worked on it previously, because there were tool marks on the top nut, and they were worried I'd think they'd caused them if I hadn't - I'd not - we concluded they were from assembly.

and then I was given some handy hints about dropping in 10ml of 5w fork oil mixed 50/50with 80w gearbox oil in the top twice a year - which should lengthen the time between services.

Hang on - you're telling me what to do to reduce the amount of work you get?! vaguely exciting!

And I'd emailed mudhugger, wanting a fatty version of their lefty front guard.

I got a reply by return saying we can send you a fatty guard and lefty fitting kit but your have to trim the right leg of the guard and work out where the hole to mount it goes, if you're happy to DIY it. Yes, was the answer and £6 for the starnut and spacer kit seemed more than fair.

Excellent service all round and nice to deal with people who are clearly bothered about giving good service.
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Mariner

Re: great service

Post by Mariner »

In the same vain I needed a new strap for an SKS X-Blade.
The fabric strap was leaving marks on a ti frame so must really chew up a painted frame.
The grippy surface inside goes hard with age and causes the marking.
The only place I could find spares in the UK was SJS but they did not have the part I needed.
They manged to get a complete clamp assembly foc plus postage.
So well done SJS they could just have said we don't stock this.

European suppliers had the assembly at £4 plus £5 postage.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

By way of balance, I wanted a paper gasket for my Rohloff shifter box, 40mm in diameter and paper thin. It was listed on the SJS website at £2.99 postage to Spain was £38 I rang them to discuss and they were totally inflexible. It would have been cheaper to fly to Bristol and pick it up in person.
slarge

Post by slarge »

My recent interactions with TF Tuned was also really positive - I messed up the servicing of my DT Swiss forks - their tech fella told me how to fix it over the phone, so I had a go at that (and cancelled the service I had booked at TFT), then messed it up even more (in a different way), so booked the service, sent the forks, (which arrived a day late at TFT and missed the booking slot), but the next morning had a call to say "all good - just watch the thread on this bit which is a damper replacement etc etc)". Got the forks back all fixed with a report and some helpful hints the next day. Pretty pleased with the service, and am more inclined to use them more frequently (as servicing forks is like bleeding brakes - one of those jobs I don't enjoy).
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:17 am
By way of balance, I wanted a paper gasket for my Rohloff shifter box, 40mm in diameter and paper thin. It was listed on the SJS website at £2.99 postage to Spain was £38 I rang them to discuss and they were totally inflexible. It would have been cheaper to fly to Bristol and pick it up in person.
Want me to buy it and post it to you?
arkay

Post by arkay »

slarge wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:53 am My recent interactions with TF Tuned was also really positive - I messed up the servicing of my DT Swiss forks - their tech fella told me how to fix it over the phone, so I had a go at that (and cancelled the service I had booked at TFT), then messed it up even more (in a different way), so booked the service, sent the forks, (which arrived a day late at TFT and missed the booking slot), but the next morning had a call to say "all good - just watch the thread on this bit which is a damper replacement etc etc)". Got the forks back all fixed with a report and some helpful hints the next day. Pretty pleased with the service, and am more inclined to use them more frequently (as servicing forks is like bleeding brakes - one of those jobs I don't enjoy).
I always hear good things about TF Tuned. I haven't had a chance to use them yet - I removed my forks and shock all ready to send off to them the other week and in doing so discovered the rear triangle of my frame had a crack in it, so decided to hold off spending money on servicing the suspension until I know whether it's new bike time! :sad:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Want me to buy it and post it to you?
Thanks for the offer Bridget but this was nearly a year ago (but still the case today) and the positive thing that came out of it was that I found the local Rohloff importer who is based in Barcelona. They were happy to post it to me, I think the whole thing was about €6 as I bought a new drain plug at the same time.
I realise SJS are much revered on here due to their massive stock of oddball items but this experience as well as their blatant profiteering when Middleburn went bust (their prices doubled overnight when there was a worry that spares would become scarce) has turned me from fanboy to never darkening their door. Don't expect they'll lose much sleep.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

My recent interactions with TF Tuned was also really positive - I messed up the servicing of my DT Swiss forks - their tech fella told me how to fix it over the phone, so I had a go at that (and cancelled the service I had booked at TFT), then messed it up even more (in a different way), so booked the service, sent the forks, (which arrived a day late at TFT and missed the booking slot), but the next morning had a call to say "all good - just watch the thread on this bit which is a damper replacement etc etc)". Got the forks back all fixed with a report and some helpful hints the next day. Pretty pleased with the service, and am more inclined to use them more frequently (as servicing forks is like bleeding brakes - one of those jobs I don't enjoy).
I always hear good things about TF Tuned. I haven't had a chance to use them yet - I removed my forks and shock all ready to send off to them the other week and in doing so discovered the rear triangle of my frame had a crack in it, so decided to hold off spending money on servicing the suspension until I know whether it's new bike time! :sad:
[/quote]

May I please add a 'Plus 1' about TF being ace... Always been helpful and my main source of fork service...
ton

Post by ton »

I realise SJS are much revered on here due to their massive stock of oddball items but this experience as well as their blatant profiteering when Middleburn went bust (their prices doubled overnight when there was a worry that spares would become scarce) has turned me from fanboy to never darkening their door. Don't expect they'll lose much sleep.

100% agree with this. used them twice for stuff that was far more expensive than anywhere else. 2nd item came wrong and they refused to take it back as i had opened the box.
Spa cycles can get most of the stuff sjsc stock. and cheaper.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

ton wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:53 pm

100% agree with this. used them twice for stuff that was far more expensive than anywhere else. 2nd item came wrong and they refused to take it back as i had opened the box.
Spa cycles can get most of the stuff sjsc stock. and cheaper.
Quite sorry to hear about that. They can be slow on delivery but having recently gone through them to build a new rear wheel for my Brompton to run a 5 speed hub, they were pretty good, replying to emails, good advice in good time, and the one thing I did send back, which I'd fitted and tested, they were fine to refund.

I've also had wheels built from them, and a full build bike back in 2006 - it was a Thorn Audax 853 and it's the only road bike I've ever had that I wish I hadn't sold.

But, yeah, SJS can be quirky. And Spa Cycles are brilliant.
I'm just going outside ...
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

just another example of great service.

I called Carradice at the end of last week, asking to buy a replacement leather strap for my Brompton bag after I'd lost one.

During the call I mentioned to the person that I'd been passed over to, that I was a repeat customer, and that it was nice to have the phone answered by someone who'd made at least 2 of my bags - Carradice have the person who makes the bag write their name on a label in each bag.

We'll take your details and call you back wth a price they said.

I was wondering why they'd not called me back, in their usually efficient manner, when 2 replacement leather straps arrived FOC in the post today. :-bd
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...