SRAM supply issues

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

donaldbmcintosh

SRAM supply issues

Post by donaldbmcintosh »

Anyone else struggling to buy SRAM kit? I've been trying for several weeks now to get a hold of new derailleur, cranks, chain... anything basically... and all my usual sites are completely sold out e.g. Wiggle, ChainReaction, Tredz, Decathlon. Not sure if it is SRAM specific or a Brexit thing or Suez Canal (!) or COVID or huge increase in bike sales or what. I've bought from bike-components.de before and they've been excellent but even they seem to have absolutely nothing.

Just wondered if others were finding the same or knew the whole story.
UnderTheRadars

Re: SRAM supply issues

Post by UnderTheRadars »

It’s been like it for nearly 18 months now. A perfect combination of vastly reduced supply and a huge demand spike. Covid mainly affecting supplies of raw materials, manufacturing and shipping. Can’t really blame Brexshit or Suez as the issue is worldwide, but they’ve certainly made the issue slightly worse (and made it impossible to buy from Europe in some instances). Add that to everyone suddenly wanting to ride bikes or spend the cash they’ve saved by not travelling/working on bike stuff equals scarcity of stuff
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A recent update from Moore Large (importer/distributor) said that they don't expect supply problems to be resolved until 2024.

Covid (supply /raw materials/ manufacturing), incresed demand for bicycles and the Shimano factory fire mostly.
donaldbmcintosh

Wow - 2024! That's bonkers.

I think I'm going to have change tack, focus more on maintaining what I have got rather than trashing stuff and replacing. Which is no bad thing actually.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I found local bike shops had some good stock compared to online when getting new 3 x 9 cassette, chain rings, chain and BB recently.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I finally managed to get a rear mech for my new build, having been slowly collecting stuff for over a year now!!
It’s due for arrival today. Fortunately it’s just a few small bits that are fairly easily available left to get building (rotors/chain etc)
donaldbmcintosh

Well done - good luck with the build. Given how hard it is get a hold of a new bike, doing your own build could be best option.

Re: local shops, yes good point. I just automatically go online because of the price/convenience/delivery but that is no longer a given.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Out of interest, what is it you’re after?
donaldbmcintosh

It was a full SRAM NX Eagle groupset. Everything was trashed thanks to being left in the shed wet all winter after each outing (and letting the chain stretch... rookie error). I've managed to get it now actually, from a place in Spain but I have to pay import tax ... Thanks Brexit.