WRT Routes sorted yet ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Re: WRT Routes sorted yet ?

Post by restlessshawn »

restlessnative wrote:Think I have finalised route now 87.5 miles, 13 checkpoints (all of them except #13)

This is pretty organised for me :lol:

Backup paper maps now printed from memory map and garmin loaded with track and waypoints :geek:
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Does anyone know the grid reference for the bothy, we want to pop in to say hello :)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote:
Ray Young wrote:85 miles and 11 check points including a trip to the seaside :D .
I have revised this as I realized there was not a lot of single track on it, now 98 miles but with bail out options.
This is so annoying, I see something new each time I look at my map :roll: , now 88 miles and every check point covered.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Still not sorted any kind of a route out!!! :o hopefully ill come up with something this evening which isnt too taxing for me!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I still haven't sorted anything. Work has been mental. I think as long as I reach Aber I'll be fine. :)
Nick

Post by Nick »

We're homing in on a route, circa 82 miles, all checkpoints, but a distinct lack of pubs on Sunday night, so we might drop down into Mach, either way we have a fairly nice short Monday to contend with, which will be nice.

Anyone else sleeping on the beach at Aber on Saturday night?
Matt

Post by Matt »

rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Just compiled my route on Bikehike and it's about 95 miles which takes in some of Route 81 south of the Rheidol Trail (thanks to Restlessnative for that) to Aberystwyth and back to Devils Bridge. I'm still fine tuning it, trying to work out where my overnight stops are going to be and being realistic about daily mileage etc. Got all checkpoints in but I'm sure on the day my plans may change as things are always different in real life to what they look like on a map. :)
Chew

Post by Chew »

rocklobstercat wrote:trying to work out where my overnight stops are going to be and being realistic about daily mileage etc. Got all checkpoints in but I'm sure on the day my plans may change as things are always different in real life to what they look like on a map. :)
Ydon't know how far you'll get each day so i wouldnt worry about preplanning overnight stops. Something will turn up, its just a case of an hour before you think you may want to stop, start looking for options until you find somewhere suitable. Wendy House anyone?

Daily milage you can probably work out based on an average speed. I'll often plan about 5mph (which allows for openning gates, taking pictures, tea & cake) and then you can have an idea in your head.

So 90 miles = 18 hours on the bike
Say 6 hours/30 miles Saturday
8 hours/40 miles Sunday
4 hours/20 miles Monday

Dont worry about sticking to a route, mine always go out of the window at some point. You may spot something that looks interesting, or you find its a waist deep bog and you need to reroute.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Thanks Chew, I totally agree with you there. You can only plan so much but the rest is down to the adventure, that's what it's all about.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

83 miles taking all the GRs in (nearly missed the 14th out!). Learnt lesson from El-an back, just because its on the map doesn't mean it's there so followed advice from here to double check on aerial photos. :lol:

Have chopped the route into stages between each GR so if I bail on one the garmin won't have a total fit.