Tour of the Cairngorms

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Tour of the Cairngorms

Post by Dan_K »

Well, i've managed to catch up on some sleep so thought i'd post a few pictures and a bit of a report about my recent trip.

The trip started with an overnight coach from London Victoria. I put my bike in a plastic CTC bag and asked the drivers nicely if they'd take it. There was a bit of a fuss but I think it was more that they were trying to assert a bit of authority than anything else and when offered to load it myself, there was no problem. The 12 hour coach trip was as long and boring as you'd expect so I was keen to get off at the other end. For £50 return, it was a pretty easy and cheap was to get a trip in. The nice folk at Nevis Sports looked after the plastic bag for me until I came back.

IMG_0639 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

I did the standard route but opted to finish on the road back to Aviemore rather than the forest as my legs had given up on me. Think the ride could have been made easier if i'd used gears and suspension.

In terms of kit, my POE Peak Elite mat was a bit cold but the temperatures were around freezing overnight. My Enlightened Equipment quilt was spot on though. Lunar Solo tent worked well, especially on the second night in the forest. The carbon pole I took was a bit long so on the first night on the hill, the tent was trying to flatten itself. I had to improvise with a bike lock as a guy line. It wasn't the best spot anyway as I was sliding about on the uneven pitch. Second night in the forest was much more relaxed and an effort to get up in the morning - especially to put wet riding kit back on.

The route and scenery were incredible and humbling. I'm not a great rider so there was a fair amount of hiking involved and a few low points where I had to drag the bike over a snowy bog when the bridge had been washed away and I had to use a footbridge. The river fords were interesting and fortunately not too deep. I made the mistake of misjudging a throw of one of my boots and nearly lost it in the current. Could have been a very costly (and dangerous) mistake as I didn't have any other footwear with me.

I'm glad I took a proper mountain jacket with me as the Scottish weather threw absolutely everything at me in one day!

Was nice to meet Gari in Aviemore when I finished, thanks for making the effort to say hello.

Total distance was around 130 miles in two and a half days so not bad and probably at about the limit of what I can manage. Finished a day ahead of schedule so jumped on an earlier coach home. The kind receptionist at the SYHA let me use their shower so I didn't stink the coach out!

I'll stop waffling anyway, here are some more pictures.....

IMG_0610 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0594 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0595 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0599 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0605 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0617 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0618 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0635 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

IMG_0637 by DKNWHY, on Flickr
Ray Young

Re: Tour of the Cairngorms

Post by Ray Young »

Superb effort, well done Dan. Looks worth the bus journey, nice pics too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Excellent. One for the to-do list I think, though I reckon I'll do it anti-clockwise.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Looks great, well done 8-)

Just asking (and not going all STW about it) but what made you throw your boots over? Or was it just one of those things that when it nearly goes wrong you think - that's a crazy idea ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Looks great, well done 8-)

Just asking (and not going all STW about it) but what made you throw your boots over? Or was it just one of those things that when it nearly goes wrong you think - that's a crazy idea ;)
Just tiredness and a lapse of concentration I think. The river looked pretty fast and was about thigh deep. I thought it could be a struggle to hold onto my boots and the bike and had read a story about a girl trekking in Iceland and dropping her boots in the river. I thought that throwing them across could be a safe bet but with hindsight it was stupid. The first one fell short, hit the bank and bounced in. Luckily, it snagged on some shallower rocks. I shudder when I think about it now as I had nothing else to wear on my feet and was miles from anywhere in cold conditions. After that, I clipped them onto my pack with a carabiner through the ankle loops. I guess we learn from our mistakes.....
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Just tiredness and a lapse of concentration I think
Been there, done that. Glad it resulted in a lesson not an epic (or worse) 8-)
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Looks amazing, I can't wait to get up there!
Gari

Post by Gari »

Nice pics Dan, liking that shelter.....
Mart

Post by Mart »

Nice trip Dan, inspirational photos. Roll on the summer :)
2924 miles per Gallon
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Nice photos, I particularly like the one with the dirt road leading into the distance.