Plus or Fat

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Plus or Fat

Post by ootini »

I'm looking at N+1 and fancy a proper chunky machine to compliment my Arkose.
Id like a bit of a tank really, but not necessarily slow, just something capable of rolling well on rougher terrain.
The thought of hitting the local beaches appeals too.
Question is, do I want a 27.5/29+ bike, or a full fat? And I don't know the answer.
Current options include a Fargo, Bombtrack Beyond, ECR, Wednesday, Vir Fortis.....
Anyone have opinions or thoughts on this?
Charliecres

Re: Plus or Fat

Post by Charliecres »

If you want something that feels fat get a fat bike. They’re surprisingly versatile and if you’re after a contrast to a normal bike then that’s what you need.

If you’re after something practical for getting the miles in then 29+ is a marginally more sensible option IMHO.

I have both, love both and ride both regularly. So really the obvious answer is - get both. :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

It seems like plus tyres are being phased out. 3.0" choices are certainly less than they were. The Fargo is no longer listed on Salsa's website and I've read the ECR is being discontinued. I'd be tempted to go full fat.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Personally, I'm not a fan of full fat as I dislike the draggy nature ... however, many people love it and I fully respect their right to be wrong :wink: What some fat bikes do give you though is the ability to fit numerous wheel / tyre sizes, so if fat doesn't float your boat, you can swap to plus. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:47 pm The Fargo is no longer listed on Salsa's website
:shock: It’s the end of the world as we know it. :((
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Charliecres wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:43 pm If you want something that feels fat get a fat bike. They’re surprisingly versatile and if you’re after a contrast to a normal bike then that’s what you need.
This.

You could always build a second, B+, wheelset and that'll run in the same frame.

FWIW I have both. If I was made to choose, and assuming I also had access to a "normal" MTB too, I'd give up the B+ and keep the Fat
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Full fat with Jumbo jims rolls very well. 29+ is a way of making a rigid mountainbike easier to live with. + does float better over boggy ground and is much better than normal 29ers on rocky stuff but full fat is a big step better over both terrain types.

If you have access to beaches or snow go full fat. If not go plus.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I too have been pondering this question lately. The answer is always full fat...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:47 pm It seems like plus tyres are being phased out. 3.0" choices are certainly less than they were. The Fargo is no longer listed on Salsa's website and I've read the ECR is being discontinued. I'd be tempted to go full fat.
https://salsacycles.com/culture/see_it_with_steel

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/2021_fargo_apex_1

Regarding the ECR, is the Krampus going away? Could be like the moonlander and pugsley. When the ICT and Wednesday have all the expedition braze ons and handle as well on long rides and better on trails, why have two?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As people have said above, true 29 and 650 plus bikes (3” tyres on 50mm rims) are a rapidly disappearing phenomenon, or so it would appear.
I absolutely love riding my 29+ Krampus. For the moorland and mountain riding I like it works very well indeed.
I’m not so sure I’d want to risk investing in a plus bike in the current climate. If you have another MTB or gravel bike I reckon a full fat would be the way to go, especially as you mentioned beach riding. I’m certainly fatty-curious and if the right sized 135mm rear spaced frame landed in the classifieds (c’mon you XL Pugsley and 9zero7 owners!) I could be tempted to part with some loot…
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:06 am
woodsmith wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:47 pm It seems like plus tyres are being phased out. 3.0" choices are certainly less than they were. The Fargo is no longer listed on Salsa's website and I've read the ECR is being discontinued. I'd be tempted to go full fat.

Regarding the ECR, is the Krampus going away? Could be like the moonlander and pugsley. When the ICT and Wednesday have all the expedition braze ons and handle as well on long rides and better on trails, why have two?
They’ve been selling the Krampus with 2.6” tyres and i30 rims for a while now… it’s hardly a plus bike now IMO :sad:
WSC
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:14 am
johnnystorm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:06 am

They’ve been selling the Krampus with 2.6” tyres and i30 rims for a while now… it’s hardly a plus bike now IMO :sad:
Oh, that is disappointing. :| My Sonder Evol is a 29+ full susser by those standards... :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:14 am
[/quote]

They still do a rigid version with 3"??
Rumour has it that Surly are about to launch a Fargo-alike which will take 'plus'
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:02 am Rumour has it that Surly are about to launch a Fargo-alike which will take 'plus'
You might get one for Christmas... :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another thought...

The original fatbikes were very much aimed at snow, sand, long-distance, no-gnarr and got picked up as ideal for bikepacking in some terrains. Plus offered a compromise. Something to handle much of that but without the (perceived?) downsides of added weight and drag.

The introduction of more "trail focussed" fatbikes, including the use of suspension and of faster rolling tyres closed the gap between fat and standard quite a bit. I certainly view my newer Cube Nutrail as more of a chunky trail bike than my previous 9ZERO7 ever was.

Again, if you already have a standard MTB then it probably makes more sense to go fat as a N+1
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Just had loads of fun doing 400+ miles in Scotland on 4.4 Jims. Yeah bit slower on road but smashing it down everything makes up for that. Everybody loves seeing a fatty too.

Didnt even notice the 7kgs of stuff I had on it.

For a frameset I've had an Ican SN01 for about 5 years now with modern trail geo plus a dropper, rigid fork and high up OG bars. It is supremely comfy, like riding a cloud :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

If you have access to beaches or snow go full fat. If not go plus
THIS

Fat bike if the terrain warrants it + if not
gairym

Post by gairym »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:56 am
If you have access to beaches or snow go full fat. If not go plus
THIS

Fat bike if the terrain warrants it + if not
Pretty much this.

I've got a lovely 29+ (rigid, 52mm rims and 3" tyres) and an equally lovely fatbike (lauf form, 4.8" tyres on 90mm rims) and I just don't use the fatbike other than in winter, it's just not as fast or chuckable on the trails.

I would add that I've never been even slightly tempted by B+ as it's a bit of a compromise imho (unless you're too short for 29").

All the ones I've ridden felt more like a less agile trail bike than a true + tyred monster truck beast.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:02 am
They still do a rigid version with 3"??
Rumour has it that Surly are about to launch a Fargo-alike which will take 'plus'
Phew! Though I just looked and it’s ‘only’ an i40 rim - no more Rabbit Holes by the look of things.
Glad they’re still spec’ ing some 3” tyres so some may be around for a bit longer. Mind you, I bought around 4 years worth of tyres a while back just in case!
WSC
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I have a full fat (4.8") and a 650B+ (3"). I tend to ride them mostly on the same terrain (except the beach where it's always fat). I tend to grab the plus bike if I feel like I want to go faster. Fat bike if I'm just bimbling. Truth is, I'm probably as fast on the fatbike, it just feels slower. If I had to keep just one, it would be the fatbike no question.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I bought a fat bike frame and then got sidetracked and built up some 29+ wheels for it because It was probably more what I was after. I never got round to building the proper fatbike ones as I'm so happy with it the way it is. Has seen a fair bit of snow and sand too:

If you get the right fat bike frame then you it doesn't have to be an either/or question!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've three set of wheels for my OO Fatty - 26x3.8 Nates, 29x2.4 and 27.5+x3 ... the most fun are the big fellas. The other wheelsets are lighter and faster, but I really don't give a rats about going fast anymore. I just love the way the fat tyres suck up the bumps, make me work for my dinner and keep me on my toes by going in their own direction every now and then.

Sub-optimal for sure. But I just don't care. It's just fun.

Go fat. You won't look back.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Go fat. You won't look back.
You won't be able to. You'll be too busy concentrating as the thing tries to steer itself into the nearest ditch :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Rumour has it that Surly are about to launch a Fargo-alike which will take 'plus'..... :shock:

Where be this rumour ?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Fat tyre kicker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:10 pm Rumour has it that Surly are about to launch a Fargo-alike which will take 'plus'..... :shock:

Where be this rumour ?
https://bikepacking.com/gear/ortlieb-ha ... qr-review/
If you look at the bike its got Surly written on it. There are links to the 'leak' in the comments bit

Re self steer - fat bikes don't self steer with the right tyres. JJ's and bud = no self steer (even at 1psi). Maxxis mammoths quite a bit of self steer below 10psi. Vee buldozers - as per the name - they go wherever they want to!