Coldest driest climate?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Coldest driest climate?

Post by ton »

We have had 2 days of sunshine and it is enough for me.
So which country has the coldest driest climate?
Because that is where we are heading.
Al

Re: Coldest driest climate?

Post by Al »

Antarctica.

Windiest too...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Move to the east coast. Nice and sunny here today, but there's an easterly breeze, as there usually is in the afternoon, keeping things a bit cooler.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

ton wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:23 pm We have had 2 days of sunshine and it is enough for me.
Oh god, me too. I took the dog for a walk at lunchtime - was only 25 degrees but I lasted all of 15 minutes.
I'm just going outside ...
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Totally agree. I can’t understand those who look forward to riding in the summer. It’s so uncomfortable.

A few years ago, I went on holiday to Majorca, it was 40 degrees, the pool was too warm, ditto the sea. The humidity was horrendous and still people were cycling up mountains. Give me the cold and rain any day (but not the wind)!
May satan walk with you
ton

Post by ton »

cna you imagine getting up on a morning to a dry bright day, about minus 2. bloody perfect for riding.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Zanskar, Ladakh, Baltistan, the Altiplano, Salar de Uyuni, Tibet, the Taklamakan... all areas of high altitude desert worth an explore by bike. I’m quite excited just writing down the names.
Last edited by lune ranger on Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

South America high altitude desert.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:18 pm Zanskar, Ladakh, Baltistan, the Altiplano, Tibet, the Taklamakan... all areas of high altitude desert worth an explore by bike. I’m quite excited just writing down the names.
True, all high altitude deserts/arid landscapes but in the 'wrong' season far from cold.
I tried :lol:
Tibet (Nyainqentanglha Shan) in September and October, Puna de Atacama in November and December, Ladakh and Upper Mustang in January to March.
Cold (about -5 to -35 °C) nights above 4000 m, but rather warm when sunny, even in deep winter in Ladakh, thanks to the intensity of the high altitude sun and mostly sunny weather in such places. In the Puna I crossed the Tropic of Capricorn at the beginning of the trip and only then realised that I might get roasted, since the sun stood nearly vertical at noon at this time of year in this area. Travelling through this area at that time of year was a mistake.
During daytime it would become a real challenge since the sun was nearly unbearably intense (40 °C in the sun and high powered UV rays, the highest ever measured on Earth). No shade for weeks, no water for days, despite covering ground efficiently. Bleurgh. Discusting. F*cking high alt desert. Thankfully there are reliable winds in the afternoon in all high alt deserts I've been, which would help cool down a bit. I always looked forwards to clouds and going beyond 5000 m where at least the temperature was bearable. Once in the tent and out of the wind I often relaxed just wearing my underpants (still sweating) as long as the sun was still out.

I too prefer cold climates, so it wasn't easy and the hardest part of the trip. After about three weeks I had adapted to it and got my head around it, but gosh I didn't like it in the beginning.
ton wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:30 pm cna you imagine getting up on a morning to a dry bright day, about minus 2. bloody perfect for riding.
That's what I thought and was looking forward to before heading into the Puna. I was wrong. As above, once in the afternoon I was wearing a slightly wind proof top and celebrated the wind many travellers dislike.
Hardly ever wore my helmet. Wide brim sun hat. The risk to crack my skull during a crash seemed less likely than roasting my head.

One tends to forget such things after a while, so thanks for this discussion. I shall always check on how high the sun stands when heading off to such places in future and better know what to expect.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve no experience of the places in South America but have cycled through those mentioned in Asia. Admittedly hot at the wrong time of day throughout a lot of the year. I did spend most of my time in the Taklamakan and Tibet either freezing my balls off or boiling hot depending on whether it was dark or light.
WSC
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:14 pm I did spend most of my time in the Taklamakan and Tibet either freezing my balls off or boiling hot depending on whether it was dark or light.
:lol:
:-bd
Can't beat frozen undies.

What time of year did you travel through the Taklamakan and Tibet?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Alpinum wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:22 pm
lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:14 pm I did spend most of my time in the Taklamakan and Tibet either freezing my balls off or boiling hot depending on whether it was dark or light.
:lol:
:-bd
Can't beat frozen undies.

What time of year did you travel through the Taklamakan and Tibet?
Too late in the year but it was the back end of a long trip so it was then or never. I just looked and the stamp in my passport for the Nepali border at Kodari shows 20th November.
Had some pretty deep snow after Lhasa on the Karo La (iirc) and definitely on Pang La. This was more than 20years ago so the road wasn’t so good then and didn’t see so many trucks. There was more than a bit of post holing through snow at times.
WSC
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I lived in Bolivia for years. I quite enjoyed the climate but hell, I was so glad to see some clouds at the end of the dry season. Every day you wake up and it’s sunny and clear. When you do that in the UK you get that I mustn’t waste the day feeling. In Bolivia I had that every day and it makes you quite agitated after a while... especially when you have to go in to the office (luckily I had to do lots of field work too).

The arrival of rains after months of dry weather was so exciting. And suddenly you could sit down and enjoy a morning coffee without the I mustn’t waste the day feeling. The hills also went green for a while and the rivers filled with water. Mind you the roads...