Lightweight Base Layers?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Lightweight Base Layers?

Post by Richard G »

Can anyone point me in the direction of good, lightweight base layers? I had an excellent Gore base layer that was like a second skin, but I've worn it to death and I can't find a replacement.

I'm specifically not looking for fleecy / particularly warm stuff... rather something that can pretty much be worn as an additional layer in essentially any weather.

This is a bit like it, but sadly isn't the same material as the original: https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/m-bas ... color=9900
ScotRoutes

Re: Lightweight Base Layers?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have 4 Gore Singlets. I think they were/are called the Select baselayer. Almost like a mesh. They're 5-6 years old so I've no idea if you can still get them.

The lightest non-mesh I've come across is the RAB Aeon. Again, no idea if they're still available.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Helly Hansen used to do some very thin ones. About as much use as Colin 😉
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I bought a couple of DHB mesh singlet things last year to try and I quite like them. They're pretty much a high-tech string vest. I've found that they're good for wearing under a cycling top in warmer conditions when a conventional base layer would be too warm. I think I'm going to get a couple of short sleeved tee shirt versions if I can get them on special offer.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-lightweigh ... -baselayer
HUX

Post by HUX »

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a Craft mesh vest, as above, pretty much a modern(?) string vest. I'll wear it under anything from a light summer top to near winter jackets like Gore Windstopper. On its own it's very much a Rab C. Nesbitt look :lol:

There's a few makes/styles to go at here - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/road/base-layers
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm a bit hesitant to buy any more Craft stuff as I've found the quality of the stuff I've got so far to be, well, shocking.

I could try the DHB one as at least I have free delivery / returns.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Richard G wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:45 pm I'm a bit hesitant to buy any more Craft stuff as I've found the quality of the stuff I've got so far to be, well, shocking.

I could try the DHB one as at least I have free delivery / returns.
As I mentioned I'm quite pleased with the DHB vests but playing devil's advocate the fabric is quite snaggy. I think it'd be worth keeping them clear of any kind of Velcro contact (including in the washing machine) or they'd end up getting pulled. Just a thought.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have a Carnac string vest thing from Planet X. It works well but is *very* snaggy and has torn quite quickly. It is also obscene when snugged around my ageing blubber.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I guess I could try to remember to stick them in a wash bag.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I bought a Craft Cool Mesh Superlight Short Sleeve Base Layer this month from Merlin, currently 21% off. Liking it so far, super lightweight, to the point where you think you'll damage it just by handling it with rough skin; I'd buy another.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've got a couple of the pervert style ones, I find they're really only of any use in the summer. I'm looking for light, but still of use for layering on cooler days.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

The offerings from Lusso are worth checking out, particularly the Dryline.
Made in Manchester too :-bd
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

shutuplegs wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:17 am The offerings from Lusso are worth checking out, particularly the Dryline.
Made in Manchester too :-bd
The "Pain Cave" one looks like it could work. I'm trying to avoid the sleeved ones as you need to be VERY lucky to get a comfortable fit (another downer about the original Gore one as it fitted me perfectly).
ton

Post by ton »

i asked about this a while back . i wanted a very thin and very light base layer, like a northface one i have had years. it is almost like the material womens tights are made from. screws up into a apple size bundle.

i have still not found one. i bought a rab one, which is ok but still too thick. i bought a couple of t shirts from mountain warehouse which are the nearest so far. £7 each.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Altura Thermacool is great if you want thin and light/packable, very warm for what it is.
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

Another vote for the dhb mesh ones. I use the tshirt style one year round, unless it's properly hot. They're very fragile though so wash and wear carefully
yeha

Post by yeha »

I have one of these, https://fdxsports.co.uk/collections/men ... -top-black. Well worth the £9 it owes me.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S.Eliot.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I had some DHB ones turn up today. Will give them a blast after my workout later.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Christ... that DHB feels like it would snag / tear just from looking at it. Really not a patch on my old Gore. :(