Super Boost.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Re: Super Boost.

Post by boxelder »

Some technical explanation from Surly here: https://surlybikes.com/bikes/krampus, though I'm gnot sure my maths is up to it :smile:
Last edited by boxelder on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Is Super Boost rear paving the way for 14 and 15 speed? Need to get those wider rear ends established. :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:44 pm
The newer Krampus' with (gnot) boost seem to fit max 34t (which is what I'm running on mine, MY2017, and it's already tight), have a simpler yoke (surely quite a bit cheaper to make) and the boost front still asks for some tyre wiggling.
No idea if the chain stay became shorter though.
I forgot to add that the 36t ring is spaced to a Rohloff chain line. I thought boots chainline was pretty similar though.

The picture shows an oval 36t ring at it widest point and lots of room to spare.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0nou2KI ... d_Hospital
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 am
Alpinum wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:44 pm
The newer Krampus' with (gnot) boost seem to fit max 34t (which is what I'm running on mine, MY2017, and it's already tight), have a simpler yoke (surely quite a bit cheaper to make) and the boost front still asks for some tyre wiggling.
No idea if the chain stay became shorter though.
I forgot to add that the 36t ring is spaced to a Rohloff chain line. I thought boots chainline was pretty similar though.

The picture shows an oval 36t ring at it widest point and lots of room to spare.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0nou2KI ... d_Hospital
Oh... no idea, but good point. I don't even know if my chain ring is 6 or 3 mm (boost) offset. think it's 6 mm, since I took it over from a non boost frame. I ride ssp on my Krampus, so I just make sure to get a straight line.
But of course, putting the chain line slightly outwards would give option to a larger front ring (and thus a larger rear cog for the equivalent gear when ssp'ing, which helps in two ways).
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Harder to give carbon frames those thin, 'plates' chain stays though I guess?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:30 am

Ooh cbx 550 Steve? One of my all time most despised bikes :-bd

Edit: no, can't be, you said v4, although I can't think which. Did the 500 have inboard discs?
IIRC it was the VF 400 that had inboard discs.
I had a CBX550, Honda said the inboard discs were so that they could use cast iron rotors for better wet weather braking but the brakes were crap anyway and when you took them to bits to change pads everything was a rusty mess inside (like car brakes). It was when Honda went through their "we do everything differently cos we're so clever" phase but they weren't clever enough to make a functioning cam chain tensioner! At least it didn't have 16" wheels though. :roll: :lol:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Biscuit Boost is my fave :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think a few Hondas did - 550 and the first VF's (although that was the least of their problems according to my Honda dealer employed mate....) I think the later cx 650's did for a bit as well.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

htrider wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:55 pm I think a few Hondas did - 550 and the first VF's (although that was the least of their problems according to my Honda dealer employed mate....) I think the later cx 650's did for a bit as well.
VF400, thankfully one of the problem free V4,s gear driven cams....Was a pain to service however, setting valve clearances involved, removing tank, air box, coils and tray,radiator and draining coolant then removing a section of the frame then it was possible to remove the valve covers and then you had 16 tiny valves buried deep within. Took most of a day.
Love a V4 though, the VF 750 (pre-vtech) is in my opinion one of the nicest bike engines ever, that sound when you ‘accidentally’ enter a corner a gear too high and use the midrange grunt to pull it out...sublime.

Edit: yes it had a 16” front wheel, tyre choice was Avon roadrunner, I actually got used to the front drifting.
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:20 pm VF400, thankfully one of the problem free V4,s gear driven cams....Was a pain to service however, setting valve clearances involved, removing tank, air box, coils and tray, draining coolant then removing a section of the frame then it was possible to remove the valve covers and then you had 16 tiny valves buried deep within. Took most of a day.
Love a V4 though, the VF 750 (pre-vtech) is in my opinion one of the nicest bike engines ever, that sound when you ‘accidentally’ enter a corner a gear too high and use the midrange grunt to pull it out...sublime.
:-bd I owned a rat VFR 750 for a bit (first single sided swing arm one) and it did indeed have a lovely engine. The bodywork was horrible as it consisted of multiple bits and mine had been down the road on both sides which didn't help. I contemplated removing it all but its a plumbers mess underneath the plastic. Sold it a mate who still runs it round Edinburgh as his hack.
Mart

Post by Mart »

my Salsa Spearfish is Superboost
it’s a far better bike than i am rider
(and please no cheeky comments of ..... That wouldn’t be hard :lol: )
2924 miles per Gallon