EBB's in PF30

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

EBB's in PF30

Post by fatbikephil »

Anyone tried one of those eccentric bottom bracket conversions for a PF30 BB shell? Niner and 'Beer Components' (nee White Industries) seem to be the only ones going. I'm idly contemplating a frame with a PF30 shell for a singlespeed thing... (No Press fit BB chit chat please :grin: )
stevenshand

Re: EBB's in PF30

Post by stevenshand »

htrider wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:27 am Anyone tried one of those eccentric bottom bracket conversions for a PF30 BB shell? Niner and 'Beer Components' (nee White Industries) seem to be the only ones going. I'm idly contemplating a frame with a PF30 shell for a singlespeed thing... (No Press fit BB chit chat please :grin: )
I'd stay away from the Niner, Wheels Manufacturing and the Problem Solvers ones. The Beer components one used to be pretty good when it was actually Beer Components, no idea what it is now. All of these suffer from the same issue which is keeping the 2 cups in phase. If they're not in phase the bearings will wear out really fast. the PS and WM ones were using very cheap radial bearings when I last looked at them.

At Shand we used literally hundreds of these and became aware of all the issues. This led me to designing one that was able to stay properly in phase and was easily adjustable. We had them made by Paul at Rideworks and he uses very high quality bearings (angular contact) and more importantly his own seals which make a massive difference.

https://rideworks.cc/shop/ebb/

They're not cheap but they really do last. When we switched to these at Shand, the issues around premature bering wear disappeared overnight. I have 3 of these on my bikes right now (2 X Rohloff and 1 SS) and I would pay full price for the Rideworks unit if I need to replace any of them. Standard size bearings too if you need to replace them.

If they're out of stock at Rideworks, I'm pretty sure the guys at Shand will sell you the Shand branded ones.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thanks Steve, very helpful. I'd not seen the Rideworks one - it does look a better engineered thing that the others.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I've been looking for the same thanks. Ride Works one looks ace, never had a problem with the EBB in my Singular bikes, but bought the Problem Solves one to convert an old Roubaix road frame for commuting to SS, and it did nothing but cause problems instead of solve them! Literally had to constantly fettle it to run well, overtighten it way past recommended torque etc, load of rubbish.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Shame that wasn't mentioned to me Steven when I found my original one was poor show in my stoater and I was told the niner was better and sold that from yourselves, and alas that also turned out to be poor show
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Edit.. obviously poor show is an auto substitute for what I actually described it as
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

firestarter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 am Shame that wasn't mentioned to me Steven when I found my original one was poor show in my stoater and I was told the niner was better and sold that from yourselves, and alas that also turned out to be poor show
I'm not sure when that was, if we were supplying the Niner one, then the Rideworks one wouldn't have been in existence yet so I couldn't have recommended it. The Niner one was better than the earlier Problem Solvers one which is why we shifted to that. I did think it could have been improved on which is what we did. None of them were junk and I wouldn't have supplied them if I thought they were. I know of original ones that are still out there with thousands of miles on them but as we progressed to better units, the instances of premature bearing wear definitely reduced. I'm not sure what else we could have done. What would you have rather we'd done in your specific circumstances?
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Id have rather have been told the one we supplied was poor but this one isn't much better so id just change the bearings rather than shell out for the same thing in a different basket, no matter now the bikes long gone
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Ok, but that wasn't really the case. I think it was much better.

The PS one I assume you had to start with suffered because the only thing keeping the 2 shells in phase were the bolts that pulled the 2 shells together. If the BB was tensioned by rotating both cups at the same time, my experience was that it worked fine. If the chain/belt/bb was tensioned by just rotating one side, then there was enough slop in the bolts to mean the bearings went out of phase. As a consumer adjustable unit, it's impossible to say how people will adjust it. That was enough for me to look for alternatives. The Niner unit was much better as it had a much more solid piece joining the 2 shells meaning it was a lot less likely to go out of phase. It wasn't perfect but it was a lot better. At least in my experience, obviously not yours.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

No it wasn't
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

stevenshand wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:12 pm
https://rideworks.cc/shop/ebb/

They're not cheap but they really do last. When we switched to these at Shand, the issues around premature bering wear disappeared overnight. I have 3 of these on my bikes right now (2 X Rohloff and 1 SS) and I would pay full price for the Rideworks unit if I need to replace any of them. Standard size bearings too if you need to replace them.

If they're out of stock at Rideworks, I'm pretty sure the guys at Shand will sell you the Shand branded ones.
Hi Steven, who do I speak to at Shand to see if they have any of the Rideworks available please? I have a Sir9 I want to run singlespeed and was interested in the Rideworks ebb, but they seem to have been on back order for ages
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Hi Steven, who do I speak to at Shand to see if they have any of the Rideworks available please?
Give them a call on 01506 435 400 and ask for either Dean or Saul. If Rideworks are low on stock or out of stock or have long leadtimes then they might be less inclined to sell them as they'll need stock for existing bikes but it's worth a shot.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Thanks!