Bikepacking tent

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

kvragu

Re: Bikepacking tent

Post by kvragu »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:10 pm
woodsmith wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:11 pm spent several hours trying to get an acceptable pitch on a perfectley flat lawn.
I've got a Deschutes, basically the Lunar Solo without the sewn in floor. I must have tried dozens of times to get a good pitch on my lawn and I'm never happy with it. For example, pitched in the daylight at home for a lock-down BAM, back to close to the ground and doors to high off the ground and flappy.

However, when out I always seem to get it right first time :???: Pitched in the dark in Scotland after a days riding at the first flat-ish bit of ground I spotted

or even the first time I used it, pitched in the wind of the night before

I've no idea why I can pitch it on a ride but fail in the garden, I'm sure I'm following the same procedure :???:
I thought I must be mad, not managing to pitch mine properly, but I guess I'm not the only one! I had the same issue, the back skirt would be flappy and low, the front flappy and high. I could only get one of the doors tight, the other would flap. Nothing I did fixed the back.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've measured mine and drawn it on the CAD to make a reduced sized version for Ralph.

Having looked at the cardboard test version I think the rear guy needs to be longer so it can be pegged out further away and the angle of the guy is in line with the slope of the rear of the tarp. I've yet to try this, I'll just extend the existing guy with a loop of line.

This might explain why I get a good pitch in the wilds as if the ground isn't flat (like my lawn) the rear guy could be on a higher part which alters the angle.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've had much the same hassles with my Deschutes - the key seems to be to leave the rear guy very loose when you first peg it out. When you peg out the front guy from the pole top actually pull the pole over the vertical slightly towards you. Sort out the four side pegs and then tension the rear. I set the front two side guys to half their length and peg out with a bit of tension across the width of the tarp. I then pull the rear out and push the peg in right at the end of the fabric (does that make sense??) I then loosen off the two side guys, shove the pole in place and peg out the front guy.

I still often end up pulling out the front two side pegs and having to reposition to get it all tensioned....Bit out of practice with the Deschutes after all this flat tarp stuff.