Anyone know any decent bivy spots along this stretch (between Ashby Le Zuch + Lieghton B)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Anyone know any decent bivy spots along this stretch (between Ashby Le Zuch + Lieghton B)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Somewhere that's a bit secluded, not far from the road etc etc. PM me if that works better. Very much appreciated

Please, thanks :smile:

jameso

Re: Anyone know any decent bivy spots along this stretch (between Ashby Le Zuch + Lieghton B)

Post by jameso »

There's a few of us around the Leighton B end if you wanted tips but I guess you're looking for a halfway spot?
I'm just down the road from Tring if you've time for coffee outside.
MuddyPete

Re: Anyone know any decent bivy spots along this stretch (between Ashby Le Zuch + Lieghton B)

Post by MuddyPete »

^ Indeed there are :-).
When are you travelling, Shaf?
May you always have tail wind.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Reg and I bivvied at a spot near Ashby last year. Seemed quiet but turned out to be under the flight path for East Mids airport..... Nice spot but I'd go a bit nearer the LB end if you actually like sleep!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If you’re looking at around the Banbury area there are a ton of options, if you still have my number give me a bell or PM me, obviously I can’t put you up at the moment but I can recommend a Bivvy site or I have a tiny patch of garden, a bog and coffee.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
slarge

Post by slarge »

Hi Shaf,
no bivvy spots however I would stay off the Fosse Way (the road on your map south of Stretton on Dunsmore. Instead I would head down to Southam and then work your way to Banbury.
The Fosse Way is long, straight (boring) and you get too many drivers who go far too fast on that stretch.

And if you want to bypass Hinckley then you'll probably have a nicer trip. Nothing wrong with Hinckley, just a bit Neanderthal
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Nothing wrong with Hinckley, just a bit Neanderthal
Racist :wink: Unless you're suggesting those in Hinckley have different genitalia?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0853185
Last edited by boxelder on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Good point about the fosse, horrible road. As a bonus the southam route avoids sun rising hill which is a challenge after a long ride, I remember it destroying me after a 130 mile day on the dummy.

slarge

Post by slarge »

boxelder wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 am
Nothing wrong with Hinckley, just a bit Neanderthal
Racist :wink: Unless you're suggesting those in Hinckley have different genitalia?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0853185
Was describing the place not the people. Clubs have a different meaning there! :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I like Hinckley, it makes me feel better about living in Banbury :lol:

redefined_cycles

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 am Good point about the fosse, horrible road. As a bonus the southam route avoids sun rising hill which is a challenge after a long ride, I remember it destroying me after a 130 mile day on the dummy.
Aha... Sunrise hill... you must be talking of Edge Hill. Thats dialled firmly into the route (and it'll be my 5th or 6th attempt at it but this time without restricting myself to 24H) so I'll have to ride the horrible road after all. Builds character :smile:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Yeah the edge hill climb, the steep section is sun rising hill, you’ll be fine, climbed it on the dummy a few times :-bd

redefined_cycles

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:33 am Yeah the edge hill climb, the steep section is sun rising hill, you’ll be fine, climbed it on the dummy a few times :-bd
I was meaning 5th or 6th at the full route. Edge is one of the milder climbs (I think)... :o
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’d still go via southam, cut across at Fenny compton and the mileage will be the same but it’s a nice route, you could cut across at Bishops Itchington but that route can be busy at the wrong time of day. Definitely avoid the fosse, it’s where I was attacked last year, I’d rather ride a lot of dual carriageways around here.

boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Fenny Compton is one of my favourite place names. I daren't visit, in case it won't live up to it.
Clubs have a different meaning there! :lol:
Ever been clubbing in Whitehaven :shock:
redefined_cycles

Thanks. Steve and SLarge.. Yes, I'll see about editing the Fosse out of there. Must have not noticed due to having maybe been riding it late eve (or soemthing like that)
redefined_cycles

Just been looking a the Foss Way stretch. I believe I've ridden it at least 5 times and always been a lovely stretch of road for me ( :o )... good points though and some food for thought... Steve, I shall text ya regards some Bivy spots mate
Owen

Post by Owen »

I'm not sure you actually wanted route advice, but here goes anyway!

I've ridden Banbury to Bosworth area a few times, I used to live in Nuneaton when I was a kid and have friends/family around there. Last time going up there I went via Southam and round the edge of Cov to Bedworth, Nuneaton Mkt Bosworth. Coming back I went through Cov and out via the airport, mostly quiet roads apart from a green lane that was a few miles long. Hard work on a roadbike but easier with wider tyres. Not sure about bivy spots buts lots of canals so easy to get off the road into a field. Maybe sleep up on the Burton Dasset hills?

Banbury to Leighton B, usually when I'm cycling that way it's to family down near St Albans, I tend to go Banbury to Buckingham as it's about 1/2 way and got plenty of choices for food if I need it. Back lanes from there to Milton Keynes and cycleway/canal to Leighton Buzzard. Though that might be a bit out of your way. Can't really comment on bivy spots along that route, but there's not a lot of housing so if it's just somewhere to get your head down you should be able to get out of sight quite easily.
vdubber67

Post by vdubber67 »

It's very near to the top of your route, but Robin Wood near Ticknall would be good. Also, Anchor Church isn't far from your route.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Church
redefined_cycles

vdubber67 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:39 pm It's very near to the top of your route, but Robin Wood near Ticknall would be good. Also, Anchor Church isn't far from your route.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Church
Quite possibly, this being what the doctor ordered. Thanks :-bd...

[Edit: the church caves thing might be a bit too aoon on the route but its good to know of and leaves me another option earlier in thw route...
redefined_cycles

Quick update on Fosse Way... I went and had a look through my strava and can confirm that I've attempted some sort of iteration of this route 5 times (all failed off course) and 4 of them had the Fosse Way section on em.

I've AFAIR actually enjoyed every one of them. I'll b3 sure I keep my Bontrager (see me from a couple of KM) light flashing. May Allah keep it this way for me (and the rest of the cyclists travelling that)...

Hinckley, hmm... the bit I get slightly concerned on is near Chesterfield called Stavely... But only after I'd mentioned it someone and they were a bit 'ooooh... really' at it. God Willing I stay safe this time round too...

Thanks for all the tips everyone :smile:
redefined_cycles

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:32 am ^ Indeed there are :-).
When are you travelling, Shaf?
In the morning... In protest at the Sarah Everard murder, black lives matter, the UK and USA rendition and torture programmes, the racism from the monarchy against Meghan Markle, Piers Morgan being a nasty piece of work, the Dodgy Dossiers of Dirty Blair, and all the rest of the abuses against humans worldwide (including the sloppy pay situations and the latest craze of banning the muslim ladies from dressing how they'd like)... oh... and the police officer who refused to allow me through on a country road when the motorway was closed... despite me showing him my ID, proof of being booked at an ICU where I was desperately needed...

Right, I'll stop there. But yeah, tomorrows the big day. Won't be kissing or cuddling anyone, got my mask and plenty of food and milk to last the 24/36 hours hopefully. Not sure how I'm gonna advertise it but you could argue this note was the initiation...

:-bd