East Devon local recommendations and tarp questions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

methers27

East Devon local recommendations and tarp questions

Post by methers27 »

Hello all, been lurking around here a lot, but not posting too often.

My first question, I am based near Exeter in Devon and looking for some local spots to get out a bit more regularly. I've spent a few nights out on Dartmoor, but looking for some more local spots that are more in keeping with the current restrictions and suitable for a quick evening out. I was thinking of somewhere around Woodbury or out to the north of Exeter. Any recommendations would be gladly received.

Secondly, I'm looking to add a tarp to my kit for when the weather is a little less than ideal. I've been reading others opinions, but just wondering what the consensus was. I've looked at flat and cat cut tarp, I think I prefer a flat tarp for the versatility, but do people find that a cat cut tarp is much easier to pitch? and do you regularly use a flat tarp in different configurations? or mainly just the one? I also looked at the use of a micro tarp, which would work very well with my hooped bivvy (my go to shelter), allowing more ventilation even in worse weather, but doesn't offer much space if I wanted to sit up, or use it for shelter at stops during the day. I read this, http://scramblekit.uk/review/index.php? ... dular-tent and found there points about wider shorter tarps being better for ground sleepers interesting, but was wondering what people's real world experience was?

hopefully this isn't too incoherent. Thanks for any help with either question :smile:
Last edited by methers27 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Re: Local recommendations and tarp questions

Post by ScotRoutes »

In "Reasons To Go Modular" we pointed out that outdoor manufacturers of ultralight tarps have either tended to hedge their bets and make a single product for both bivvy and hammock users (two distinctly different use-cases) or have somehow missed the glaringly obvious - that bivvies are waterproof!
Well, some are and some aren't. The non waterproof ones tend to have better breathability and are lighter. (FWIW I have one of each). I'm afraid that such a basic mistake colours my view of the whole advert.

A waterproof bivvy bag certainly opens up the idea of a micro-tarp and I've actually taken that option extensively this past 12 months or so. I use it in a flying-V setup with the point into the wind. That gives enough shelter for my head not to be in the bag, to place some stuff I want to keep dry (like my boots) and also some shelter to cook. Of course, it's too low to sit up in but I usually get into my bag when I stop anyway.

Oh - micro-tarp is in this photo

ImageBAM by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
methers27

Post by methers27 »

Very true, that does seem like a basic oversight.

Thank you, useful to know that a micro tarp can be useful
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:03 pm
Oh - micro-tarp is in this photo
That looks like a very sheltered set up for a small tarp. What size is it?
Last edited by methers27 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think I prefer a flat tarp for the versatility, but do people find that a cat cut tarp is much easier to pitch? and do you regularly use a flat tarp in different configurations? or mainly just the one?
You're right that a flat tarp is more versatile, cat' cut tends to make a taut pitch easier but it's not that hard to achieve without. I use a tarp 95% of the time and generally the same set-up.
I read this, http://scramblekit.uk/review/index.php? ... dular-tent and found there points about wider shorter tarps being better for ground sleepers interesting, but was wondering what people's real world experience was?
The tarp in the link appears to be nothing special at all. I'm not really sure I understand the point about wider / shorter because that'll depend which way round you have your tarp.

I always struggle to see the benefit to a hooped bivvy when using a tarp. It always seems like additional weight for little gain. However, that's a personal view and other people may disagree :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
methers27

Post by methers27 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:08 pm You're right that a flat tarp is more versatile, cat' cut tends to make a taut pitch easier but it's not that hard to achieve without. I use a tarp 95% of the time and generally the same set-up.
Ok, glad to know I’m not missing a really obvious point then

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:08 pm The tarp in the link appears to be nothing special at all. I'm not really sure I understand the point about wider / shorter because that'll depend which way round you have your tarp.

I always struggle to see the benefit to a hooped bivvy when using a tarp. It always seems like additional weight for little gain. However, that's a personal view and other people may disagree :wink:
I think the point was that if you compare their design with say the alpkit bicycle 3.5, the shorter but wider tarp is the same weight, but provides more head room as a shelter.

I take your point about a hopped bivvy. Maybe I’ll try leaving the pole at home once I have the tarp, and then going for a lighter bivvy in the future if that works out
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This is the micro-tarp I bought last year.

ImageIMG_20201018_103231_950 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

It's from Marc at Trekkertent (he will do custom sizes/tie-outs) and this one is made of DCF. It weighs 135g.

I have a nylon micro-tarp to sell (The one in my first photo). Let me know if you are interested.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think the point was that if you compare their design with say the alpkit bicycle 3.5, the shorter but wider tarp is the same weight, but provides more head room as a shelter.
Surely headroom is governed many other factors. I'd consider support / pole height to be the main one. :wink:
methers27

Post by methers27 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:33 pm Surely headroom is governed many other factors. I'd consider support / pole height to be the main one. :wink:
Very true :grin: in which case, what size tarp would you recommend for a first tarp for solo use?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Hi Methers. Welcome on board.
I live just outside Exeter, up the Exe valley a few miles.
I have a bunch of ideas for routes and rides. Feel free to PM me.
There are a fair few other Devon and SW riders here to.

I would definitely steer well clear of kipping out on Woodbury Common unless you enjoy being woken in the night by steely-eyed-commandos... the Bootnecks from Lympstone are out on the common a lot after dark - best stay clear. Although the same could be said if Dartmoor to an extent, it’s not really used in the same way as Woodbury and as long as you steer clear of the ranges on live fire days you’re ok.
I’m hoping to organise a Dartmoor bivi - advertised on the Anyone Playing Out section of the site for when restrictions are lifted. You’d be very welcome as would anyone else.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

methers27 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:41 pm what size tarp would you recommend for a first tarp for solo use?
Assuming you've used a tent previously then it really depends on just how much you want to recreate that experience or whether you want the tarp to provide something a lot different. My first tarp was a Siltarp 1 (about the size of a R!g 3.5). That can be pitched in a number of ways, some approaching a tent shape, some more open. I learnt that I liked the more open options, hence now veering towards something smaller. Going up to a Siltarp 2 / R!g 7 for solo use obviously provides a lot more cover but now you're getting close to tentage again. Certainly, having a waterproof bivvy bag gives more options to go small/light/open.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: East Devon local recommendations and tarp questions

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

what size tarp would you recommend for a first tarp for solo use?
I do like the Alpkit 3.5 because of the mid-panel ties. The DD Superlight also has a number of fans as does the Rab Siltarp 1. In reality, anything around that size / shape would be fine.

If you are using your hooped bivvy, then a micro tarp might prove big enough. I tend to favour pitching them 'flatter' to provide more coverage.

methers27

Post by methers27 »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:42 pm Hi Methers. Welcome on board.
I live just outside Exeter, up the Exe valley a few miles.
I have a bunch of ideas for routes and rides. Feel free to PM me.
There are a fair few other Devon and SW riders here to.

I would definitely steer well clear of kipping out on Woodbury Common unless you enjoy being woken in the night by steely-eyed-commandos... the Bootnecks from Lympstone are out on the common a lot after dark - best stay clear. Although the same could be said if Dartmoor to an extent, it’s not really used in the same way as Woodbury and as long as you steer clear of the ranges on live fire days you’re ok.
I’m hoping to organise a Dartmoor bivi - advertised on the Anyone Playing Out section of the site for when restrictions are lifted. You’d be very welcome as would anyone else.
Hi lune ranger, will definitely send you a PM, some local loops would be great. I'd also definitely be keen to get out on a group trip post lockdown.

I will make sure to avoid Woodbury, doesn't sound like it would make the most restful nights sleep
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:19 pm
It's from Marc at Trekkertent (he will do custom sizes/tie-outs) and this one is made of DCF. It weighs 135g.

I have a nylon micro-tarp to sell (The one in my first photo). Let me know if you are interested.
The DCF micro tarp looks like a lovely bit of kit ScotRoutes.

I might be interested in the nylon one for sure, would you mind sending me some more details
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:59 pm
what size tarp would you recommend for a first tarp for solo use?
I do like the Alpkit 3.5 because of the mid-panel ties. The DD Superlight also has a number of fans as does the Rab Siltarp 1. In reality, anything around that size / shape would be fine.

If you are using your hooped bivvy, then a micro tarp might prove big enough. I tend to favour pitching them 'flatter' to provide more coverage.
Thanks for the info Bearbonesnorm, gives me food for thought, think I might just have to have a try with a solo size tarp and a micro tarp for comparison