What are you reading now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by godivatrailrider »

Blackhound wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:46 pm @Godivatrailrider (I can't sort out the quote thing) . I read 'Foster' on a ferry 18 months ago and watched the film 'The Quiet Girl' based on the book last year. Excellent writer, I also read 'Small Things Like These' on the same trip, that has just been filmed with Cillian Murphy in the lead. Not many smiles in that book either.
Did you like Foster?
I loved it.... when she runs down the drive .... :cry:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Two on the go at the moment

Alistair Humphrey’s Local
Basic premise he goes in search of what is local to him in his OS map, bit like an analog veloviewer (and very similar to my OS map colouring project!). One poor chapter so far but was easily skipped but some interesting history stuff in there. Worth picking up and reading - seems to be one to dip in and out as each square has its own chapter

Cairngorm John
Wrote by a chap from a chap from caingorm mountain rescue. Quite an insight to the runnings of mountain rescue from day to day stuff to how they operate out on the hill. Fascinating reading especially some of the rescues, really is an eye opener and plenty of lessons can be learnt from reading the book. Well worth sourcing a copy (or listening to it as I’m doing with this book).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:01 pm Cairngorm John
Wrote by a chap from a chap from caingorm mountain rescue. Quite an insight to the runnings of mountain rescue from day to day stuff to how they operate out on the hill. Fascinating reading especially some of the rescues, really is an eye opener and plenty of lessons can be learnt from reading the book. Well worth sourcing a copy (or listening to it as I’m doing with this book).
I read this last year and agree with all you've said. Struck me just how much of a commitment the role is, but also just how satisfying it would be.

Currently reading Columbia Es Pasion by Matt Rendell, the story of Colombian pro cyclists with a bit of a history of that country too. An interesting read, but I feel there's quite a lot of unnecessary detail (here are the names and ages of the siblings of a rider that didn't quite make it as a pro... :roll: ). I'm halfway through though so I'll probably see it out.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

@godivetrailrider - yes, the moment she runs down the drive was a moment.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:30 pm Currently reading Columbia Es Pasion by Matt Rendell, the story of Colombian pro cyclists with a bit of a history of that country too. An interesting read, but I feel there's quite a lot of unnecessary detail (here are the names and ages of the siblings of a rider that didn't quite make it as a pro... :roll: ). I'm halfway through though so I'll probably see it out.
I read his Pantani book, was a big fan of the cyclist and loved the way he would race, but the book was too much for the exact reason! Never finished it, Matt Rendell does an excellent job of researching and it’s commendable but it’s just too much detail (always thought it was me!).
godivatrailrider

The Pearl - Steinbeck.
Excellent short story in typical Steinbeck prose.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Just started two books I picked up from the library:

Rebecca Solnit's Hope in the dark. Thanks for the recommendation faustus. I'm only one chapter in, but already hooked.

The Curtain and The Wall: A modern journey along Europe's cold war border by Timothy Phillips, which I found by coincidence on the same day as a discussion on the other place in which some people, myself included, learnt that the Iron Curtain and the Berlin Wall were different things, and other people expressed incredulity that those people didn't already know that. This is proving both educational and an enjoyable read, certainly after the slogging through Columbia Es Pasion (with apologies to Matt Rendell... but for god's sake man, get to the point :grin: ).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 pm
Tanglefist wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:51 pm Stewart quotes from 'A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush' by Eric Newby in that book, which I highly recommend - not just an insight in Afghanistan but also the world in the 1950's.
Another classic of travel writing. I have it somewhere - another one I've read, know I enjoyed, but couldn't tell you a single detail from. Maybe time to re-read too. I've clearly reached the point in my life where I don't need to buy any more books, I can just go round and round the ones I already own.
I couldn't find this on my bookshelves... But then had a message the other day from the same friend I'd lent The Places in Between to with a picture of A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush... "Is this yours?" So now that's back on the to-read pile too.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I have two copies of 'A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush' by Eric Newby, after WOB sent me one that was definitely not in "very good" condition. If anyone wants it, then let me know...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
godivatrailrider

"Coming Up For Air" - Orwell.
Loving it.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

About a quarter way through One Man goes Trekking (With she who must be obeyed) by Ketan Joshi. very entertaining and funny and interesting at the same time. Interesting as English is possibly not his first language and it hasn't been edited to clear up the odd word usage and sentence structure. Not sure if this was deliberate of lazy editing but think it adds to the narrative.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
godivatrailrider

"The Sea is not made of water - Life Between the Tides" - Adam Nicolson. Very Robert Macfarlane, which I like.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Finished reading The Physics of Filter Coffee by Jonathan Gagné and bought a new coffee grinder yesterday. Also recently read: 1923 : The Mystery of Lot 212 and a Tour de France Obsession by Ned Boulting, which I thought was brilliant and strangely emotional; Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie, so good I bought the second and third books before I was a third of the way through, brilliant.

Currently reading Inhibitor Phase by Alastair Reynolds.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

godivatrailrider wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:39 am "Coming Up For Air" - Orwell.
Loving it.
I must have re-read it 3 or 4 times - gets more relatable each time :lol: :???:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Boab wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:27 pm I have two copies of 'A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush' by Eric Newby, after WOB sent me one that was definitely not in "very good" condition. If anyone wants it, then let me know...
Hi Boab, I'd love to read that. I have his 'Round Ireland in a Low Gear' and Andrew Harvey's 'Journey in Ladakh' so have had Short Walk on a short list for a while. PM / paypal?
jameso

Post by jameso »

While I'm here .. tried to get back into a reading habit with something light last year, Bez's 'Freaky Dancin'' which is great for anyone who was into that music scene back then. Up there with 'How Not to Run a Club' by Peter Hook.

Now trying to get through Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow - very interesting general premise and one of those books that really makes you think, but slow going because of that.
Re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance at the mo just because I'm struggling with what I think a bike should be vs the mainstream industry take on bikes so maybe it'll produce some inspiration in how to handle the way bikes are going a similar way to cars in closing off the basic mechanical functions to the average owner. I read it about 10 years ago and it was the first of a series of books that changed or helped give some order to how I see or think about some things that are important to me. I read 'Shop Class as Soul Craft' after it and that was actually a better book on the (for me) key aspects Zen and the Art of covered.

I have Daniel Friebe's Jan Ulrich queued up for summer reading. I was a big Jan Ulrich fan and always wanted to see him big-ring Lance into the ground, dopers or not. Something about that churning powerhouse riding style and his head down, eyes up position that hardly moved that was so good to watch, like the Terminator on a bike.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Suddenly remembered, Coffee First, Then the World by Jenny Graham is out on paperback today...
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Colditz by Ben Mcintire. Really enjoying it, I saw the tv series in the early 70’s and this book shows it in a different light. I had not realised the school you went to was so important and that the officers had a batman to do the duties, and these guys weren’t allowed to escape.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blackhound wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:28 pm I saw the tv series in the early 70’s
Yep, well remember it Kev. It was refreshing to see the German commandant and guards portrayed in a, for want of a better word, sympathetic way. Anthony Valentine was suitably chilling though! Strange to think the situation was only 80 years ago.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
josh

Post by josh »

Boab wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:58 am Suddenly remembered, Coffee First, Then the World by Jenny Graham is out on paperback today...
I’ve recently had it arrive from bookshop.org – I preordered it ages ago.

I’m only a little way in, but a well narrated story so far.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

jameso wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:45 am Re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance at the mo just because I'm struggling with what I think a bike should be vs the mainstream industry take on bikes so maybe it'll produce some inspiration in how to handle the way bikes are going a similar way to cars in closing off the basic mechanical functions to the average owner. I read it about 10 years ago and it was the first of a series of books that changed or helped give some order to how I see or think about some things that are important to me. I read 'Shop Class as Soul Craft' after it and that was actually a better book on the (for me) key aspects Zen and the Art of covered.
Zen and the Art is possibly my favourite book. I've read it a couple of times, but it's been a few years and I suspect I could learn from it once more. The list is getting long. I'll add Shop Class as Soul Craft to it though.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Just finished Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James, first read it 40 years ago and revisiting following emigration to the UK and living here for 30 odd years made it quite a different experience. Very funny and documents a time past when the world was a very different place. Would recommend :-bd
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Zen and the Art is possibly my favourite book. I've read it a couple of times, but it's been a few years and I suspect I could learn from it once more.
One of the very few books i have re read and i actually own a copy
Really enjoyed it every time i have read and may re read it again.
jameso

Post by jameso »

https://theradavist.com/all-bicycles-are-handmade/#meta

Good article today, a good read on bike production and quality perceptions ending with a recommendation for Shop Class as Soulcraft. Whether a Radavist recommendation for the book adds to your motivation to read it, idk.. :grin: I think they're putting up some great articles these days.
I suspect I could learn from it once more.
I am, about 1/3 in and it's going down better 2nd time round.
godivatrailrider

Just finished Lionel Shiver's - Big Brother.
No not yet more Orwellian stuff.
It's about having an obese brother, ( I have a morbidly obese son ) I hoped for hope and got none. He'll be obese until it kills him. I doubt he'll see 50.
Just gotta love him while he's here.