Where would you live in the UK...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Re: Where would you live in the UK...

Post by PaulB2 »

Cue endless giggles about how FRT would be pronounced.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Google translate suggests "Truc de ride Français". Taking inspiration* from the already well-established TDF, maybe it could become known as "Le Truc"?

*something something, imitation, flattery...
faustus

Post by faustus »

My heart is in West Wales, but having lived there enough in the past I know that the things that make it a lovely place (in my eyes) are often the same things that make it a harder place to live i.e. fewer amenities, poor transport, few jobs.

Very much embraced where I live now, and it has a lot of good riding from the door, and links to more good riding if you go a little further afield. Enough that I can get away from the hubbub fairly quickly, if not the gentrification. Not much in the way of great mountain biking (singletrack, downhill fun, mountains) but lots of cracking rides taking in all kinds of terrain and trails.

Young kids will prevent a big move somewhere too remote, but I like the Black Mountains and vicinity as it's reasonably well connected even though it's a bit of a honeypot. Now I live somewhere with good rail links and cycling into town easily, i'd not want to give it up too soon.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:32 pm
slarge wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:29 pm and probably Spain between November and Feb.
Nah :wink: . Easily the best time of year to be in the UK. Preferably inside a remote Welsh boozer with a fire on and a longcase clock ticking in the corner, with your bike parked outside in the snow.
After being in Spain for 10 years I really enjoyed being home again through the winter , but was only chatting with the wife the other day this time of year was brilliant looking back as you could start to smell the citrus in the air again and the sky’s were blue with a nice 19/20 degrees, I really shouldn’t be agreeing with her as I don’t want early retirement but she’s pushing to get back over there , at least with having Irish passports we still have the option :lol:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Weirdly, and i know that it is not going to go down well with a group of mountain bikers, but having agreed to move to North Norfolk as it is where my wife comes from and she always wanted to move home, and as it is a nice place over where we used to live to raise my daughter, i finally feel settled here in my 40's. I come from Portsmouth, was stationed in Aldershot, Germany and other pleasure spots, have lived in Spain, York, 4 places in London and Surrey.

I think that like a lot of responses on here, despite the Norfolk reputation, i have found mostly friendly people here, for the first time i know all my neighbours, during COVID especially, i shop for 7-8 of them, we just have a pub in the village a few miles away, a village shop and that's all i need. My daughter can walk safely down the road, she goes a school with 84 pupils where they get a lot of attention, i can walk round the village and buy eggs, milk, flowers, veg etc, and have been known to swap beer from the brewery a few miles away for fixing his bike. People are grafters too, i have helped friends build extensions and outbuildings over the summer and in return i have not paid for a plumber or electrician in return.

Not the best for proper mountain biking, but where i live is rolling, lots of good bridleways and beautiful beaches just 10 miles away at Wells/ Holkham, good diving, kayaking etc too.