Shed alarm?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Shed alarm?

Post by techno »

Can anyone give me a recommendation of a house and shed alarm system at the cheap end of the market, or what I should be looking for in one?
Ta :-bd
GregMay

Re: Shed alarm?

Post by GregMay »

Geese, they would be my suggestion.
ton

Post by ton »

have a look online at AJAX alarms. not overly cheap, but very good wireless alarms.
loads of options . and we sell them.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I used to have one of those things that you fastened to the inside of your shed door and it 'fired' a blank shotgun cartridge if disturbed. As you can imagine (a) they're very loud (b) scare the crap out of anyone trying to break in and (c) will get a police armed response unit round in about 3 minutes rather than the more usual 3 weeks.

I'm sure they're probably illegal these days but they were fun and yes, live cartridges did fit :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

GregMay wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:17 pm Geese, they would be my suggestion.
they'd probably get knifed round here.
ton wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:24 pm have a look online at AJAX alarms. not overly cheap, but very good wireless alarms.
loads of options . and we sell them.
Will do, thanks Ton.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:33 pm I used to have one of those things that you fastened to the inside of your shed door and it 'fired' a blank shotgun cartridge if disturbed. As you can imagine (a) they're very loud (b) scare the crap out of anyone trying to break in and (c) will get a police armed response unit round in about 3 minutes rather than the more usual 3 weeks.

I'm sure they're probably illegal these days but they were fun and yes, live cartridges did fit :wink:
Hmmm, I'll pass on that thanks. Don't want the kids accidentally getting tuned into colanders.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

In my last place I had a monitored alarm fitted by PRS. Living their an unmonitored alarm was a total waste of time as nobody would do anything if it went off as so many other alarms did in the neighbourhood.

Now I am fully invested in Ring as the doorbell camera is amazing. I work in a garden office and can answer the door from my desk and prevent Royal Mail doing a runner. I’ve alarmed the rest of the house and basement with contact sensors/pirs and the whole family get alerts by phone as well as the alarm. No point paying for monitoring during lockdown but I will for the months we are away. It was dead simple to set up.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
techno

Post by techno »

Thanks Dave, will look at that too.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Yale seem ok, long as you wireless signal will reach your shed you can fit a PIR and/or door switch. Can arm/disarm from your phone & you’ll receive notifications long as you’ve got mobile signal..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

After loosing a couple of bikes I’ve got a banshee warning beacon wired into a car battery and a plate on the wall another on the door , they have various sound settings and are very loud , if we have any in stock I’ll let you know and post one over for you foc if your ok with rigging one up
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Hang up a photo of a bike with a lauf fork. Seems to put most off.
techno

Post by techno »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:39 am After loosing a couple of bikes I’ve got a banshee warning beacon wired into a car battery and a plate on the wall another on the door , they have various sound settings and are very loud , if we have any in stock I’ll let you know and post one over for you foc if your ok with rigging one up
That's amazing, thanks fella!
Let me know if you've got one and I'll pm my address and.send some beer money :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

Alpinum wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:32 am Hang up a photo of a bike with a lauf fork. Seems to put most off.
I want to protect my gear but I'm not a sadist!
techno

Post by techno »

Wotsits wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:10 pm Yale seem ok, long as you wireless signal will reach your shed you can fit a PIR and/or door switch. Can arm/disarm from your phone & you’ll receive notifications long as you’ve got mobile signal..
Cheers, another for the research pile. :lol:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

techno wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:53 am
middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:39 am After loosing a couple of bikes I’ve got a banshee warning beacon wired into a car battery and a plate on the wall another on the door , they have various sound settings and are very loud , if we have any in stock I’ll let you know and post one over for you foc if your ok with rigging one up
That's amazing, thanks fella!
Let me know if you've got one and I'll pm my address and.send some beer money :-bd
I’ve got none on my site but just ordered in 10 so will probably be next week , pm your address and as soon as they arrive I’ll pop one in post , no need for beer money , they ain’t costing me anything and I’ll just book one on a job
Karl

Post by Karl »

I've got a Yale home alarm with a door sensor and PIR in the shed. Works well about 50 metres from the house. Would recommend. :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

Karl wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:08 pm I've got a Yale home alarm with a door sensor and PIR in the shed. Works well about 50 metres from the house. Would recommend. :-bd
Good to know. Thanks.