Bringing Back Butcher: a 285 mile commute/collection(and counting)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Bringing Back Butcher: a 285 mile commute/collection(and counting)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Full special report coming here... Involves a prayer room, a chap with an airway via his eye socket, Butcher (obviously), negotiating a 29er rim, negotiating with the missus (still to come but rest assured it'll be interesting), negotiating 'the rules', a chap called Alex, another chap called Alex, basic rediculous nurse rates, a gas guzzling Subaru Outback, no tools, some Singletrack pants that look like a baboons bottom, some boxer shorts from Asda, a non existant waterproof jacket, some loaned/donated gloves and a hope hub on a rubbish Velocity rim, some Planet X bars and seatpost, a Charge Spoon, a weather warning rain forecast, 1 pair of socks, 2 days and counting, a £23 TravelLodge, my mate Zubair and a saddle hieght that needs sorting. Obviously a cuppa coffee and some Maxxis Chronicles as well as a front rack!

Oh, and the Surrey hills and a 100 climb... Oh, and lets add, prayers on a A421
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Re: Bringing Back Butcher: a 285 mile commute/collection(and counting)

Post by Bearlegged »

If you're paying out £23 for a hotel, and petrol on top of that, mightn't a courier be cheaper and easier?
https://www.paisleyfreight.com/bike-courier
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Would probably cut out having to negotiate "the rules" too...
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:43 pm Would probably cut out having to negotiate "the rules" too...
Negotiating isn't the same as 'breaking'... It's a Jones frame (to me) with alot of kit. Petrol, I'm being light on the right foot and working shifts in between :grin:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I am near Reading Shaf. Happy to post it up to you if the seller can get it to me or meet me half way. PM me as not on here that often these days
redefined_cycles

wriggles wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:02 pm I am near Reading Shaf. Happy to post it up to you if the seller can get it to me or meet me half way. PM me as not on here that often these days
All done thanks Andy. The shifts worked enroute were vital. Both in paying for the bike aswell as them needing help. Most agency nursing staff are so inundated with work these days that the hospitals on the peripheries would be struggling to get em... why drive 40 miles when they can just pop to their local hospital with enough work...

I've used this shift-getting exercise to also be a valid reason to get up close and personal with the Surrey Hills (on cards for tomorrow before the night shift booked down here :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

a Jones you say................... mmmm. ( refuses to comment ). :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Cough... did I just here an agency nurse complain about rates of pay.... cough.... :shock: :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:21 pm Cough... did I just here an agency nurse complain about rates of pay.... cough.... :shock: :lol:
Nope... indeed you didn't Luke. I was on about how much they pay the band 5s in general :lol:
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:21 pm Cough... did I just here an agency nurse complain about rates of pay.... cough.... :shock: :lol:
What you heard me say is that it seems to be open season for agency nurses. There's so much work that they don't even need to travel far for work these days and thus the hospitals in them areas with not as many skill-mix agency staff end up suffering. That's why you used to see me go to Scarborough for shifts couple of years ago (they paid just a couple quid more than a band 5 but I went for the ride... and to help off course :-bd )

Doesn't look this this story is gonna happen afterall... Was lovely to meet Alex (we did some proper distancing) and I even got a free helmet out of it. Might have lost my MOJO for riding in the morning though before the eve shift as it seems to be armt barracks all around. Don't wanna get shot by mistaken identity. It'd just get that much worse for the NHS and a few days closer to provatisation :o