Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Today's Run

Post by Bearlegged »

15.58km, taking in a fair bit of the Round Sheffield Run route, plus a few extra laps of my local woods. That's my longest run ever. :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

2 weeks ago in lakes, I christened trail shoes and went to Ambleside races (to watch). 4mile walk from Grasmere with family along the coffin road, other half not impress with road ascent. Great day out.
We Walked back around the tarns. Son & wife did low level & direct route to grasmere. I 'ran' followed my nose, lots of up & down, here & there path junctions , ended up climbing & passing the slate caverns. sub standard navigation-phoo, they had maps :lol: , Lots of walk- run , but kept moving. Saw a juvenile red deer, quite close, not bothered by a 'sweaty gammon' taking pictures. :roll:
Very out of form (must have been the pack), but enjoyed raising pulse a bit. Last run was 20yrs ago. I did lots of up & down, at least a mile further they got back 10 mins later. more Old Hare than tortoise. YHA menu meal 15 mins later -beer sorted :-bd .
It's a start.Aarn pack & Hokas felt great (over kill on me?).
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Back from two weeks in Scotland running and holidaying. Highlight was the Scottish 6 Days of Orienteering. Great competition on some difficult terrain in Moray. Mostly woods on sand dunes. Bonkers some days with real difficult to interpret contours. Highlight (hardest) day was by far the long in Culbin forest. How do you approach the long leg (1.6km straight line)?

ImageUntitled by Greg.May, on Flickr

Topped off the week with some mountain running in the Cairngorms. Did a great 36km route, 2000m vertical, ticking off the 4 Munros along the Laraig Ghru. Excellent day out.

ImageUntitled by Greg.May, on Flickr
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Ran over the hill to Baggy Point while the rest of the family was getting ready to go out for the day, only just over 5k but the 12% climb in parts were a good workout for a flat lander though I did walk some bits once the heart rate got into the 170s. I still got back before everyone was dressed.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My 4 year old Garmin forerunner 35 has died - the backlight comes on when I press the power button but there's nothing appearing on the screen. It started playing up yesterday with showing partial screens but that went away after a reset but now nothing. Garmin Express can still see it so it's probably just the screen that's futzed. Hohum, probably one too many dips in the sea and pool last week. Any recommendations beyond the obvious Forerunner 55 upgrade?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

What's the budget? I replaced my Garmin with a Coros Pace 2, very impressed, as well as for running I wear it all the time as a smart(ish) watch - notifications of texts, calls etc, fitness tracker and I also use it on the bike. Really good battery life as well.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The budget is still to be negotiated but it’s probably going to be less than 180 quid. I’ll add it to my list though, thanks
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Last run UK side before CCC for me. Usual 10km Sunday run up to a local trig point and back to the valley floor. In the usual rain that has been this summer in the Pennines. Took it easy, but enjoyed the downhill. Quite looking forward to getting to France now, though the weather is.... rain :)

A few days easy in les Houches before the insanity that is a 100km run to Chamonix on Friday.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Into The Well 100 mile run, great watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEu8l8UJ-r4
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Lung test today - ran up to 1,800m on what looked like a nice hiking trail....it was not used much which showed itself when I had to cross an area of rockfall, then the snout of a glacier, and a few moraines and rivers. Ended up at a lovely howf, then had a cracking run back down to town on a trail that actually gets used. The vagrancies of running in the Chamonix valley.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Easier run, 10km with about 350m vertical along easier tracks. A nice hour after the chaos that was going into Chamonix to get bib and kit check. Lucky I know my way around the back streets as the main roads were packed!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Not my run, but if anything could convince me to race 52km, with 4200m of ascent, at up to 2950m altitude, it's scenery like this. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CivvJNi ... dEquipment
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Looks like wonderful scenary.

Then there's the madness of ther Barkley Marathon.
They are surprised if anyone actually finishes!

"Not my run, but if anything could convince me to race 52km, with 4200m of ascent, at up to 2950m altitude, it's scenery like this. Wow.
Barkley Marathons course (thought to be roughly 130 miles and about 63,000 feet of elevation gain) at Frozen Head State Park in Tennessee"
.... All to find pages in a sad paper back. Map ,compas &only a simple watch allowed. - no technology.

film Barkey marathon 2023. About 45 min..

The start time is when the organiser lights a fag, sometime that day.

Maximum disorientation guaranteed.
So most newbies DNF.

It not unknown for someone to come back gibbering by the local police car.
Don't give stu ideas...
Last edited by ledburner on Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

A friend of mine, who is a pretty handy ultrarunner, has run that a couple of times, and she found it super tough! Until I spoke with Nicky about it the first time, it was something I thought I'd fancy a go at (with hopelessly optimistic thoughts of a fun run finish) but it's ridiculous... And a_wesome...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yesterday and todays run - 100km with 6,200m vertical in 22 hours and a bit. The CCC. Will write some actual words about it later. I should probably sleep.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A cracking day out in the Peak. 15km-ish, 522m up, gnocchi and a sketch break.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwvbiF0sZgK/
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

This sounds fairly insane - 106 mile loop around Mont Blanc:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/66747975
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:38 am This sounds fairly insane - 106 mile loop around Mont Blanc:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/66747975
I did the shorter version a few weeks back CCC. "Only" 101km.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The views must have been amazing assuming you’re not too deep into the pain cave to appreciate it. I’ve got my sights set slightly lower at another attempt at a marathon next year.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It was glorious during the daytime. 10 hours of darkness was still pretty special as well :)
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A departure from the norm today, I managed to get out with the Cannock Chase Trail Runners - a gentle paced 8.8k with a nice mix of single track and forest roads with the second half run with head torches.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

At a spot on my usual running route I've met a youngish deer a couple of times. It's never seemed too concerned at me and the dog passing but does try to hide and blend in. Yesterday, I ran past two of the little Guys. I wasn't paying attention and only saw them as I got to about 15-20m away. They kept an eye on me but didn't make any move. The field's crop has gone, so they had nowhere to hide. I said hello, gave them a wave and kept going.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Back racing, orienteering anyway. Nice local race, didn't really pay attention and ended up further down the field than normal. Still a great day out. Then ran round with my daughter on her course, where she got second. Happy with that.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I took the new watch out for a run today in the rain - 11.3 km of character building wetness. I've signed up for a half marathon in delamere forest in 4 weeks on the back of running 15km a week for the last month, what can go wrong? On the subject of insanity, I couldn't get 'The sun has got his hat on' out of my head as I was running :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

There's something good about running in terrible conditions with an overly cheerful persona :grin:

I've rested my achilles for a few weeks now and my knee seems to be better after last week's road accident so I'm going to try an easy run next week.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger