Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Re: Today's Run

Post by PaulB2 »

It was a tad chilly today until I got going but managed a slow 10.7k around town this afternoon. I felt a bit heavy legged - not sure if that's the 3 1/2 hours sleep I got, the cold weather or accumulated distance in the last few days.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Pootled around for another 10.1k in around 1h10. I need to find some more routes that aren't mostly rail trail since my last two runs have been under 4m elevation gain per km.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I didn't manage to get out again over the weekend only did 21k last week. It's going to be a busy period with family stuff and work so going to try and get in a few shorter runs in this week. Nipped out for 7.3k in 50 minutes at lunchtime. It wasn't as cold as I was expecting so got too warm and my ankles felt really tight until the home stretch so not the most enjoyable of runs.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Day 5 from 31 for me today. Back on my traditional run December lark.

Raced (night orienteering) on Saturday which was great, had a fun night out in the mildly sideways rain and cold. Out again yesterday taking in the controls from the day race after my wife ran.

Cold weather that is approaching will be entertaining. I hate riding bikes when it's icy (too many times hitting the tarmac on ice while training for the TDR many moons ago) so I'll be running to work I guess.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Went out for a chilly 8.2k in 52 minutes at lunchtime - just ran to keep my HR around 140 which for once I mostly managed - I did have to walk for a minute once to get it back under control. I need to run in the cold more often since for once I didn’t overheat and take off layers.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Brisk out. -2 and snowing on the tops, but no wind. Frozen bogs so had my orienteering dobs on which were great running across the sheet ice.

So far have run 8 days in a row, feeling like it'll be my first full run December in a long time. We shall see.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

My usual Saturday morning run about 7k, -2 and misty. Me and the dog enjoyed it.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Double racing weekend:

Sat - indoor event, utterly baffling, yet wonderful at the same time. Map below is ONE side of the race.

Sunday - traditional forest O event, same club running both events, but this couldn't be more different.

Ran well both days, happy with results.

ImageUntitled by Greg.May, on Flickr
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Indoor orienteering? The more I stare at the map the more it makes sense as to how the route fits together.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's one of the most novel events I've ever done. Really fun, mentally very tough.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

If you're given the map on the start line and you don't know the school that'd make my head hurt.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

That's the way orienteering works :)

You dib to start your timer, then you pick up the map!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

16 days on the trot now, a lot of running in my winter shoes with dobs on.

Last day of school today, and a half day, so I got changed before we broke up - did the end of term meeting in running kit - then walked out, into car, up to the moor and rain in glorious sunshine (and -2*C air) for an hour. It was wonderful to be out on top of the moor on my own with no one else, in the sun, and the hoar frost on everything.

Next few days running should be fun as we're off to Derbyshire for a few days. Will be nice to run on someone else's trails for a bit!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:30 pm ....Will be nice to run on someone else's trails for a bit!
Was there enough to give those skis a run? :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Today’s intended long (for me) run was curtailed by a sick child so only managed 17k for this week. I’ve got two weeks off now so need to work out how to fit in running with the kids being off school - my current plan is to try running 5-6km at 6 in the morning most days to be back before they’re both up. I finally seem to have got the right combo of clothes for running in sub zero dry weather without getting too cold or too warm.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Similar plan to me during school holidays. Up before she is - run - then child herd all day.

However, this year my wife has quite a few days off, so I'm hoping to get some daylight runs in. I'll be avoiding actual school work until January :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Up to 26 days in a row now. Going well. Only had one day that really hurt (24th) more due to a sprightly run with my wife the day before, and a few too many the night before.

Looking like easy enough running to do my first every day in December in 5 years. Feels quite good to have slotted back into this after the year of not so ideal running I've had.

A few plans for the last few days, possibly a big run because I can, not decided yet.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Couch to 5k completed. My efforts to get back into running without my calf muscles locking up are going ok...

Any suggestions for something like the Cto5k app to get me up to 10k? I'm more interested in endurance than speed if that makes any odds.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Day 28 was 22km in driving rain and wind. Took in a chunk of the Pennine Way and felt like I had a small slice of what the Spine Race would be like. Currently not feeling like second helpings :)

Legs feel fine today, going to go for a brief run later to tick the box, not expecting much. But the next three days should be fun.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:05 pm Couch to 5k completed. My efforts to get back into running without my calf muscles locking up are going ok...

Any suggestions for something like the Cto5k app to get me up to 10k? I'm more interested in endurance than speed if that makes any odds.
The beeb do a couch to 5k+ trio of podcasts that initially worked for me once I'd finished a c25k program - they're little more than music that's timed to the steps per minutes they want you to do but they did the trick. I did a couple of weeks of just the stepping stones podcast and then started alternating between stepping stones (slower paced 35 minute run), distance (faster paced 35 minute run) and speed (20-25 minute of intervals). I did those for a few months while just rewinding back to a point to gradually extend the run until I hit the 10k mark.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Due to crazy kids sleep patterns and a sick wife I've only managed to get out for 13k in the last two weeks which is less than ideal prep but I have managed to get some walking in with the kids so hopefully I've not completely calcified.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Day31 tick. Dropped off by wife, then ran home across the tops in the clouds. Finished with a burrito and beer.

100 mile month on trails/fell felt good. No real niggles or pains, a few days of coughing when it was properly cold after we broke from school. Otherwise, fine. Turns out it's only the 7th time I've run over 100 miles in a month - ever. Which surprised me.

Of walking tomorrow, then run racing on Monday... who knows what will happen.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Dropped my eldest off and headed out around the 'wilds' of Stone with the intent of joining up a couple of routes I'd run before. The plan had been for a long and steady run out on country roads and then head back via the common and the canal but I'd only mapped out the route in my head and realised after an hour or so that I'd have to up the pace quite a bit and take a short cut to get back in time - managed to get back with about a minute to spare before kicking out time. I ended up doing 13.7km in 1h36 so edged up my longest run, just not as much as I'd intended. 28.1k for the week.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

First run of the year. Took it easy* as still worried about my knee but it seemed fine.

4.4 miles round the forest with 450 ft of climbing. Thinking of doing my bam in the same woods later in the week, thankfully not tonight as 60 mph wind ripping through it, it's the first high ground since France.

Will try and run once a week minimum again and see how it goes, fingers crossed.

* Strava shows just how easy I was going as took 40 minutes, the previous runs on that route included just under 31 minutes in 2018 :o oh to be young (er) again :???:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Take your time and use the soft ground to your advantage! I barely run on roads at all these days and it does feel like I'll have longevity in my running due to it.

As for me:
Busy weekend of running. Saturday my daughter (5.75) wanted to race so I ran round with her. Longest orienteering race she has done so far at a spot over 4km. Took her 51 mins and she only went and won the thing! Happy camper and proud dad.
I raced that evening at the night league. 7km and a very tired me. Brain was in it but legs less so. Took it as a good training run.
Sunday, I raced a local MMM style event. 3 hours, covered 25km, 800m or so vertical, and blew my lights completely. Grand times.

Monday off, ran today for 30mins easy hiding in the woods perpendicular to the wind direction. Soaked, but didn't get destroyed like I would have done if I'd run up high as planned.