Would you ride this?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Supernova

Re: Would you ride this?

Post by Supernova »

I did a similar ride on a fully loaded mtb in the late 80s along the Cares Gorge in the Picos de Europa, Spain and came across the photos from that trip that made me feel sick just looking at them. Wouldn’t do that now and I expect they’ve improved the trail since then too.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Unfortunately the Cares Gorge is now prohibited for bikes, the fines are very large as well. I think it received a major revamp in 2012 and a number of companies have sprung up ferrying walkers by road from one end to the other as its quite a long walk there and back.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Local trails in ROI were mostly cliff paths. That wouldn't worry me in the least.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've ridden two of the trails in the Kilion Bron footage and the GoPro wide angle lens makes that stuff look a LOT sketchier and more dangerous than it seems whilst actually riding it.

So yeah, I'd ride that (and am looking into where it is so that I can do exactly that). :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Gairy, if you're looking for the original trail that I posted it's the Congost de Mont Rebei and is about 1/2 an hour north of Lleida in Cataluña and goes to the village of Puente de Monañesa in Aragon. The gorge is the border between Cataluña and Aragon and the route I was looking at starts from Ager. It's about 11/2 hours from where I live, if you want to come over, let me know.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

GregMay wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:26 pm Local trails in ROI were mostly cliff paths. That wouldn't worry me in the least.
I recall a vid from a few years ago of a couple of guys riding across an overhanging slab which I believe then collapsed some time later - can't remember if it was North Antrim or Donegal...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That was Hans Rey and Steve Peat on the Cliffs of Moher in County Clare, mad as a box of frogs.
I was talking to a friend earlier about the Mont Rebei path, he'd walked it recently. I asked whether he thought it was suitable for mountainbiking and he looked at me as if I was derainged. He's a fairly accomplished trail runner and mountain guide and pretty good ona bike.