flats or clip in pedals??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

flats or clip in pedals??

Post by Mike »

Right iv been using spd for ages but as iv got a big trip coming up was wondering whether to get flats so i can use trainers instead of cycle shoes..or lightweight walking boots as i think i maybe hiker biking some of it. so who uses flats for bikepacking and which brand pedal works best??
Dan_K

Re: flats or clip in pedals??

Post by Dan_K »

I've got SPDs with Simano MW80 gore tex boots. Work on and off the bike. Am getting some neoprene boots for lightweight camp duty.
Chew

Post by Chew »

If you're doing a similar trip to me then you'll probably end up doing a fair amount of pushing/walking so normal boots may be a good idea as they will be more suited to the job. Also you'll be wearing them a lot so comfort is your main consideration.

Any combination will work. I'm still on the random boots I bought in Fort Augustus and some cheap superstar pedals.

If you're going to swap do it early as when I swapped back it took me a few rides to get used to them
Mike

Post by Mike »

hi chew yeah looking like similar route to urs and im doing torridon aswell so think I'll go with lightweight boots n flats
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I love my Shimano MT90s for hikey-bikey stuff and team them up with Crank Brothers Candys. However, there are lots of shoes with SPD holes and a good sole. Specialzed Tahoes are another favourite.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I switched to flats beginning of last year and love them, just seem to be less hassle. I also now suffer knee pain which I think was brought on by years of shimano clip in pedal use because when I ride my flaties and look down at my feet the natural position they lie in is way out of any rotational play shimano clip ins would give even with the cleats set at their maximum angle. Currently using v8 copies, very cheap but still going strong.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Clipless pedals for me, I find time ones really comfy with loads of float for my slightly wayward knee.

Have been riding my new bike with flats whilst I got used to dropped bars again. The bars dont seem to be too much of a problem but the pedals are doing my head in - luckily my 8 year old was there for advice as I wss cursing them, its easy mum you just push them round one after the other! The boy's a genius :-)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

adjustablewench wrote:Clipless pedals for me, I find time ones really comfy with loads of float for my slightly wayward knee.
Time atac pedals FTW!

I notice flicking through the rose bikes catalogue that there's lots of spd shoes (and sandels) that are designed for touring/walking these days as opposed to pure Cycling performance.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I used to have an old pair of shimano spd sandals, but then they started changing them and adding thicker straps until they just looked like some weird orthopeadic shoes. I was gutted the day mine finally broke - snapped clean in half

May have a look at rose bikes, as obviously as I am absolutely convinced we are going to have a heat wave this year it will be nice to have some more.