Is a single map enough?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Is a single map enough?

Post by redefined_cycles »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:27 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:57 am

Years ago I saw a site where you could specify an area of 1:25 or 1:50 and they'd print it on a shower curtain for you. Wasn't too expensive either... Always tried to look for it (years later) and possibly should've bought it when I had the chance.

Having a custom wallpaper printed in OS. Now there's an idea (might be expensive and I believe someone on here had a link to a place that will print you an A3 or A2 poster with your area of map on it...
Here you go

https://www.lovemapson.com/collections/ ... 3777917200
Thanks Steve. Doesn't look like shower curtains are in this list. That was definitely a shower curtain and price at that time was about £80... so 10 years later it'd be maybe about £160. Maybe it was this site but they've discontinued shower curtains. Thanks very much for that link though :-bd my ti pedals (to go on the SL build) salute you... :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It was probably Splashmaps but avoid them as I drove 150 miles to meet their CEO a few years back to arrive at an empty office. He’d gone home early and “forgot” our meeting
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:52 pm It was probably Splashmaps but avoid them as I drove 150 miles to meet their CEO a few years back to arrive at an empty office. He’d gone home early and “forgot” our meeting
Thanks Dave. Yes, it looks like that or similar. Doesn't look like I'm able to get much map for my money and maybe thats why I steered away... :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a stack of Landrangers (some new, some used) for papering a wall. I'm still trying to work out the best way of sticking them up. Wallpaper paste will likely soak them so much they'll expand and aligning the gridlines at sheet joins will be a problem.
RIP

Post by RIP »

A whole sheet? I think we need to raise the stakes. What about a single SQUARE?
Last edited by RIP on Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm still trying to work out the best way of sticking them up. Wallpaper paste will likely soak them so much they'll expand and aligning the gridlines at sheet joins will be a problem.
Maybe a coat of diluted pva on the back of them first Colin?
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:41 pm I have a stack of Landrangers (some new, some used) for papering a wall. I'm still trying to work out the best way of sticking them up. Wallpaper paste will likely soak them so much they'll expand and aligning the gridlines at sheet joins will be a problem.
We used PVA. May live to regret it though.....
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:41 pm I have a stack of Landrangers (some new, some used) for papering a wall. I'm still trying to work out the best way of sticking them up. Wallpaper paste will likely soak them so much they'll expand and aligning the gridlines at sheet joins will be a problem.
If you plan on trying to align the sqaures properly, then a craft knife with lots of fresh curved edge -not pointy edge please - is your friend. Overlap once perfectly aligned. With a sharp edge and the knife cut through both glued papers. Remove carefully from wall but as little as possible, take off excess and voila... :-bd (ex wallpaperer/painter decorator type... might explain the lack of decoration in own house :sad: )...
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:55 pm A whole sheet? I think we need to raise the stakes. What about a single SQUARE?
Few ever look UP for example. There's a whole wealth of stuff up on buildings if one stops and looks carefully, and 1km/sq contains a lot of buildings.... I had a "Today's Ride" where I went for a ride round the town and almost immediately spotted a high-up clock down our road. Suddenly there was my theme. By the evening I'd clocked (HAHA!) about 13 of them, including a sundial, a bus-stop banner, and even a flower-bed "clock"! My next theme is going to be weathervanes once I'm finally allowed out again.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster