How Ethical is Aldi Merino...?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: How Ethical is Aldi Merino...?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

K1100T wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:52 pm
It would appear I'm blind... 🤦
BAM's site is a bit average for finding things.

Happy to help if it gives you another option :-bd

As for it's green credentials in comparison to other things I can't say. You rarely see full LCA of many products and even when you do who's to say there hasn't been some "interpretation" of the parameters and values used. Plus they're usually done by those with a vested interest, so how can you know whether to rely on it?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:03 pm In my experience some of the merino blends actually work better as a base layer than the pure version. The synthetic/merino blends combine the improved wicking of synthetic base layers but with the stink resistance of merino. They're certainly a lot harder wearing than pure merino. After my (bad) Icebreaker experience I'd actually seek out a blend in preference.
I have some top by Montane that is a blend and it's excellent. Sadly it was always a touch "well-fitting" and that problem has only been exacerbated by my middle-aged-spread :oops: :lol:

And of course in the ever changing / improving / re-marketed bollocks that we have today I have no idea what, if anything in their range is the same construction or a reasonable equivalent, if any :roll:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I think oeko-tex was mentioned above somewhere regards Akdi... just came across it in the blurb/pic from Howies

https://www.howies.co.uk/collections/me ... 43d7ddc94e
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:03 pm In my experience some of the merino blends actually work better as a base layer than the pure version. The synthetic/merino blends combine the improved wicking of synthetic base layers but with the stink resistance of merino. They're certainly a lot harder wearing than pure merino. After my (bad) Icebreaker experience I'd actually seek out a blend in preference.
Agreed. I still have/use a Ground Effect Submerino top that must be 10 years old. Definitely a winter layer though.
Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:46 pm Bought some several years ago and had to take them back
I can't beli2how itchy they were.
I've no idea is the new ones are as bad.
Anyone tried them on as yet?
I've got some, they are nice, not at all itchy, or scratchy :lol: