Opinions on winter wear trousers, thermals and waterproofs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trevstonbury

Opinions on winter wear trousers, thermals and waterproofs

Post by Trevstonbury »

Hi Guys,

What are your opinion on trousers/shorts/waterproofs combinations for autumn/winter in the UK? I'm happy with my tops/jacks etc but still looking for the best setup for the lower half. I see some people wearing breathable mtb trousers and bringing cheap light waterproof over-trousers, others going with thermal/quick-drying full length bottoms (merino etc) and breathable/waterproof shorts, what do you use?

Cheers!
ScotRoutes

Re: Opinions on winter wear trousers, thermals and waterproofs

Post by ScotRoutes »

Depends...

Day rides or overnighters?

Wet or dry?

How cold?

Most day rides I'll use lycra 3/4s and waterproof shorts. For overnighters, this means manky legs so that'll necessitate a sleeping bag liner and/or something to wear as PJs.

If I think it's going to be both wet AND cold, then I might end up wearing waterproof trousers all day. That at least helps keep a warm "bubble" around my legs.

Dry and (very) cold I'll usually opt for some softshell trousers.

In extremis I dig out the Endura Stealth Bibs. These are very thick, warm and waterproof but not the most comfy thing for multi-day rides though if conditions dictate...

Oh - and merino is the work of the devil.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevstonbury

Post by Trevstonbury »

Thanks Scot,

Standard trip say for several days to a week, autumn weather so potential for cold rainy/windy days and cold creeping in, typical British weather. I;m not a fan of having to wear trousers unless I really have to, but being wet all day would trump that!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I bought some Madison zip-off waterproofs to try out this autumn/winter. I reckon those over lycra shorts might be the most flexible option.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I generally wear shorts all year round even in the depths. If it's proper cold I'll sometimes wear some 3/4 legth bibs underneath for that special layered look.

Caveat 1 / At 5'7" my shorts aren't as short as some peoples.
Caveat 2/ By the time I've pulled my socks up, the amount of exposed flesh is likely no more than a few inches.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Autumn I would go with either 3/4 and some Alpkit parallax over trousers for if it got proper horrible
I may just go with 3/4 waterproof shorts with lycra shorts underneath
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

For the conditions you are describing, I would be wearing medium-fleeced 3/4 bibs. I would only put something over if forced to by the conditions:
Up until now I would then put on lightweight waterproof trousers such as the Alpkit Parallax one or Montane Minimus pants.
Based on recommendations here I have just taken delivery of a pair of 7mesh Revo Shorts which look good. - They'll probably be getting tested on the Cairngorms 300 this weekend. :smile:

If it's really cold I would choose full legged bibs.
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

£165 for those Revo shorts :o
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:51 pm Oh - and merino is the work of the devil.
It certainly is.

If allowed two small provisos - a trip of up to 3 days (so, ahem, apologies, not helping your 'week' then :wink: ), and warmer than about -5c - then a simple formula works for me:

Similar to Stu, Madison Tempest 3/4 shorts on every ride.
If cold enough add bamboo leggings.
If wet enough add Berghaus Paclite trousers.

To keep it simple for my small brain, and because I have to carry an item somewhere whether it's on my body or in a bag makes little odds, I'll select my combo of the above three at the start and leave them on all the time.

The pachyderm in the parlour, though, is what's worn lower down than the above clobber. What socks and what footwear.

Your feet will get wet. That's it. Waterproof socks aren't, or are for a short while. So, I pretty much stay wet for 3 days down there now and just enjoy wrinkly feet.

I keep threatening to wear 'crocs n socks' for a whole ride. The Winter Event sounds a good time to experiment with that one.....

Make that three provisos - I never race or time myself so can regulate my effort to match the conditions, thereby reducing sweat etc.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Paramo trousers, stream crossings up to my balls and constant biblical rain and still comfortable. They are a micro climate for yer legs, you won’t be bone dry but you will be warm and comfy. :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
substandard

Post by substandard »

Stolen goat climb and conquer bibs are my go to for commuting and 1-2day silliness in the winter, rarely do anything longer than that in the colder months being a southern wimp. They really are warm and apocalypse proof.