TD training camp anyone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Re: TD training camp anyone?

Post by Chew »

:roll:
Rarely i have a moan, but come on...

If you're going to race the Divide, needing someone else to help you out train isnt going to help you ride 100+ miles back to back for 3 weeks. And its only a few weeks before the start of the race, not really this time to be praticing using a GPS, Biving, gear selection.....

We've all been caught out of our depth at times, but having gone through this you learn what you're capable of what to do differently next time. This is the only way to learn these things not via a powerpoint presentation.

Its even worse when you read Jays thoughts on the volume of people turning up for the race start :roll:
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index. ... 18374.html
BRP

Post by BRP »

Oh dear...there's a few contradictions there.
FLV

Post by FLV »

That's disappointing. I always held respect for JayP but writing that post whilst leading that training camp is a shame.

Never mind, we're all human.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

*Devils advocate*

Perhaps by running these courses he's trying to give people a better chance of completing the route in a 'good' time and/or not having to scratch.
I want to see everyone make it to Antelope Wells
But
Do you study everyone elses kits and systems or did you learn for yourself and what works for you? What works for me does not work for you.
Doesn't really tie in with a TD training camp ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

I don't see the issue. Petervary has stated that he doesn't want unprepared riders turning up to the race, and is offering to help train them to take part. Yes, it's expensive, but remember what it says on the front page our chosen hangout: 'two wheeled tramps on tour'. We're probably not the target market...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Fair play for JayP for helping others out and no issues with him trying to make a few quid in the process.

Theres a big difference between touring the route and the race, which is what JayP's post was about, and different risks and responsabilities to yourself and the event. The concern was that too many people may start, some of them unprepared, some kind incident is going to happen, and then people with pens and clipboards are going to get involved.

The beauty of these events are there are no barriers to anyone having a go. Its just you, the route and the clock. If you complete it in 15 days or 4 weeks it makes no difference.

Just dont think offering something like that a few weeks before the race is really helping. Its not really the time to be learning which bivi bag works and how to use it, before having to use it for 4 weeks in the wilds.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Or save $750 here:

http://vimeo.com/50688329