WRT 'lonely hearts club' thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

WRT 'lonely hearts club' thread.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought I'd start this for anyone who is/wants to ride the WRT but doesn't want to ride on their own.

If you're looking for someone to partake in the adventure with, then post something up ... the likelyhood of hooking up with a physco, carrying a fold up ultralite axe or a depraved shemale sex dwarf are pretty slim but if you don't ask you don't get ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Re: WRT 'lonely hearts club' thread.

Post by Dan_K »

Good idea Stu. Could you make it a sticky?
It could also work for lift sharing etc.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Well, I was planning on doing the WRT as a bit of a first timer to bikepacking*

But turns out I have an MSc exam on the 24th of May and another on the 28th of May, so I'll scrub out that idea :(

*kindof dabbled before, but not properly
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm a singleton this year, don't mind pairing up with someone similar.

Hi I'm Matt, I'm fast, not stubborn and a silent sleeper. I hate jokes and humour though. I'm into super pure endurance and would frown upon extend pub stops.
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

Fantasticmrmatt wrote:I'm a singleton this year, don't mind pairing up with someone similar.

Hi I'm Matt, I'm fast, not stubborn and a silent sleeper. I hate jokes and humour though. I'm into super pure endurance and would frown upon extend pub stops.
I see you haven't mentioned your epic snoring;-)

I might join you for the weekend. You bring the pate, I'll bring the cheese!
I’ve been abart a bit
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Yikes looks like I'm flying solo.

Not sure of my plans at the moment - but open to suggestions!

Will be coming from Sheffield and may just be doing the light version.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Adjustablewrench - I am doing the light version and on my jack tod. I also live in Uttoxeter so if you want a lift your welcome.

I am slow though (Av sp. usually around 5mph loaded and can usually do 50m before totally knackered) so not a problem if you want to hook up with someone more competative :D
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Restlessnative and Pushbikemike, what are your plans, solo ride or looking for partners? Also, what's your travel plans, either or both looking to car share?
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Ray Young wrote:Restlessnative and Pushbikemike, what are your plans, solo ride or looking for partners? Also, what's your travel plans, either or both looking to car share?
Happy to ride together. Shawn and I were trying to organise a car share. You still traveling with your wife?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Mike, no the wife's not coming now as she has hospital appointments. If you can squeeze another one in I'd be up for a car share but don't sweat it if you can't. Will enjoy having your company again, is Shawn riding with you as well? What days you travelling there and back?
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

We could pool our resources and see about traveling together. I've got Thule roof carriers x2 and an Astra estate. I was thinking of heading down on friday and back on monday or tuesday. No plans as yet for riding together but I would defintely be up for that. Be good to catch up with you. I need to work out out a few things with child care and on a seperate matter how much meths to take. You can email me on pushbikemike at hotmail dot com.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Hey! I have an estate but no bike rack at the moment having just changed cars so I can't fit more than 2 bikes and 2 people inside, quite happy to pitch in somewhere else though?

Ideally I'd like to travel down after work on Friday (I finish @ 16:00 Edinburgh-Gyle area) and be back late Monday night so as not to take too much time off work (and save holidays for another trip) if that suits anyone?

I'm not hell bent on riding solo or together really, not very bike fit at the moment having spent too much time running in spring instead. Was gonna wait to look at the checkpoints, come up with a rough plan then see what rough plans you two had come up with and take it from there?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Shawn, I'm not too fit at the moment either due to back problems. I'm up for an enjoyable few days rather than an epic. Sent an email to Mike saying that you might be up for evening pub stops before biviing out. Could get an evening meal too to carry less gear but not sure how that would fit in with your diet.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I like beer but yeah the chances of a vegan pub meal are slim to none!

Better pull my finger out and finish seam sealing my tarp tent just incase of rain like!
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

The wonders of technology: I'm currently lying in my hammock in the woods. Last day of the month for my April bivi. Pub stops are good for me ;) Will check grid refs when they come out and make a rough plan. I have Friday off work so could head down early with ray if that suits. What day do you want to come back up the road ray?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Mike, anytime Friday suites me and not bothered about return day. I'm up to share driving if you want, would need to look into the cost of insurance though.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

What time you thinking of heading down Friday?

Pondering routes and plans :geek:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Shawn, think Mike wants to head down quite early to avoid Friday traffic later on. I'm also looking at routes, can't believe how much choice there is.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Evening all. I was thinking of setting off mid morning on Friday for a leisurely drive down. Are you working on Friday Shawn? I don't have a paper map of the area and memory map software no longer works. Been looking on osgetamap. Loads of options. Shawn, would you be up for meeting ray and I to discuss routes?
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I'm kinda not decided on Friday, I could probably not work but I'd rather not take Friday and Tuesday off

If you have an etrex and the OS mapping then download garmin basecamp and you can use that to look at the maps (you need the etrex plugged in). I am looking in memory map still coz I am more familiar with it.

Aye no bother, what did you have in mind?
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I thought we could meet up midweek sometime. After work, in Edinburgh. I can't do Fridays but rest of weekdays are doable
I tried basecamp last night. Initially p.c was saying there was a problem then gps batteries ran out. Got the coordinates in osgetamap.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I can't do this week, but feel free to push on without me if you like

I haven't really done any oute planning yet :oops:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

How about the evening of Monday 13 at The Steading pub on the A702 just near the ski centre. Leave the time up to you two to decide as I can be there any time.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I'm doing this event solo too. I couldn't get anyone else to do it with me (boring wimps!) I didn't let that stop me though and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm driving down from Durham on the Friday, hope to see some other bikepackers out in the wild!
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Ray Young wrote:How about the evening of Monday 13 at The Steading pub on the A702 just near the ski centre. Leave the time up to you two to decide as I can be there any time.
I can be there from 6 ish. Possibly earlier. Finish work not too far from there.