What are you listening to now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
faustus
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Newbury

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by faustus » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:45 am

6 music is usually on on the house, and my phone on shuffle when working. Currently have an Yndi Halda song playing, they're alright. Been listening to some recent downloads from Ben Lukas Boysen, a little Michael Kiwanuka, and some Bikes or Death podcasts. If I need emotional transportation I go to the old favourites: GoGo Penguin, Explosions in the Sky, Port-Royal, Beirut, Bill Callahan/smog, DJ Shadow, GSY!BE, early PJ Harvey, Mogwai...too much to list maybe!

restlessshawn
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by restlessshawn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:33 am

Been listening to quite a lot of Warren Zevon lately, WIllie Nelson, same as In Reverse some early Depeche Mode (saw them live in 1984/5?), Pearl Jam's new album, caught up on Blues Kitchen podcasts...strong chance I am going for either Terrorvision or Shed Seven in a minute

Cheeky Monkey
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm
Location: Leeds ish
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Cheeky Monkey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 am

Some post-punk 2k mix on Spotify.

Quite enjoyed a lot of the Ask a Flower Not to Bloom in Spring album by Coffee House Anarchists. Dear god that sounds pretentious :lol:

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 3883
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23, Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by RIP » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:36 am

Toy Dolls "Wakey Wakey", not 2 minutes from postie arrival, specifically Pot Belly Bill:

"Between you & me, & Billy's Mrs will agree, he's a swine... It's closing time at the local,
& he stumbles out the bar
The drunken lump forgets to switch the lights on in his car
But Billy is a darer, he did not see the Sierra round the bend.
1/2 an hour latter Billy's hospitalised, "Tell the wife to bring some cans in
With the grapes" He cries"

Blistering guitar work. Marvellous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMexNEZmW40
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by K1100T » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:35 pm

I'll listen to pretty much anything, although my preferences lie between electronica and metal, via the blues. Right now, I'm listening to Test Match Special on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, although I normally listen in BBC 6 Music in the mornings. Just about to pre-order Daniel Avery's Love + Light and will probably be buying Derek Carr 's Pursuit Part 1 & 2, depending on how many bits for the bike I need to buy this month.
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
Dave Barter
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Dave Barter » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:00 pm

"The Passenger" seems to be going through my head for some reason
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2500
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by sean_iow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Dave Barter wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:00 pm
"The Passenger" seems to be going through my head for some reason
Lol, beat me to it, fast fingers Dave again :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

techno
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am
Location: Hull

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by techno » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:28 pm

K1100T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:35 pm
I'll listen to pretty much anything, although my preferences lie between electronica and metal, via the blues. Right now, I'm listening to Test Match Special on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, although I normally listen in BBC 6 Music in the mornings. Just about to pre-order Daniel Avery's Love + Light and will probably be buying Derek Carr 's Pursuit Part 1 & 2, depending on how many bits for the bike I need to buy this month.
Thanks, that Daniel Avery is interesting.
This might be up your Street too: https://youtu.be/wTm9uHpWE3c
Image

User avatar
GregMay
Posts: 2806
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:57 pm
Location: Calderdale
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by GregMay » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Daniel Avery is most excellent.

Tycho is worth a listen if you want something of a slightly more mellow feel to him.

Aphex Twin sort of day today.
Image

User avatar
gairym
Posts: 2722
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chamonix, France (but a Yorkshire lad).

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by gairym » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:45 pm

Aphex Twin - now you're talking!

He's next on my 'complete back-catalogue in chronological order whilst busy in the workshop' series.

Gari
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: Aviemore

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Gari » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:14 pm

Another go go penguin fan here, A humdrum star gets played pretty much everyday.
The drum n bass YouTube video is pretty cool, if that’s your thing try some nerve if you haven’t already, Track called 7even, jojo mayer is the man.
Some great calls in this thread, I love disappearing down the Spotify rabbit hole:)

User avatar
gairym
Posts: 2722
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chamonix, France (but a Yorkshire lad).

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by gairym » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:18 pm

Oh yes, +1 for GoGo Penguin - really, really good stuff!

For d&b fans, try this out:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4wcmz9Q2 ... z9EznY6PTw

User avatar
macinblack
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:02 am

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by macinblack » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:08 pm

RIP wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:36 am
Toy Dolls "Wakey Wakey", not 2 minutes from postie arrival, specifically Pot Belly Bill:

"Between you & me, & Billy's Mrs will agree, he's a swine... It's closing time at the local,
& he stumbles out the bar
The drunken lump forgets to switch the lights on in his car
But Billy is a darer, he did not see the Sierra round the bend.
1/2 an hour latter Billy's hospitalised, "Tell the wife to bring some cans in
With the grapes" He cries"

Blistering guitar work. Marvellous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMexNEZmW40

This thread had me rooting through the vinyl in the attic looking for The Blood - False Gestures for a Devious Public.
Found these lurking in the cobwebs and couldn't help thinking of our resident Fiery Jack :cool:

Image

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 3883
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23, Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by RIP » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:26 pm

A lovely pair there :-bd
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

techno
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am
Location: Hull

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by techno » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:27 pm

gairym wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:18 pm
Oh yes, +1 for GoGo Penguin - really, really good stuff!

For d&b fans, try this out:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4wcmz9Q2 ... z9EznY6PTw
Oh yes!!
Image
Image

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 3883
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23, Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by RIP » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:39 pm

Can't they afford any lead/rhythm guitars then? Or just forgot to bring them or what? :wink:
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

voodoo_simon
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by voodoo_simon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 pm

JohnClimber wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 am
Last night it was Beluga Lagoon
In the recent past it's been Отава Ё - I've no idea about the words but this hooked me in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbBU06irWT8
Plus The Dead South are still up there as one on my favourites too
I wasn’t allowed to play a certain song as my wife’s cousin wedding a few years back. Spoil sports :lol:

User avatar
metalheart
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:56 pm
Location: Escocia

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by metalheart » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Despite my moniker (which is actually derived from a Cat Power song) I have a tendency to vier towards the minimalist. Arvo Pärt gets a fair listen (Kanon Pokajanen, Symphony No 4 and Tabala Rasa currently). Bang on a Can’s rendition of Reich’s 4 organs & maracas must be due for a dust off pretty soon also.

Johann Johannsson also been getting an airing (Fordlandia for a change, from orphée...).

Hania Rani (Esja) I’m really liking (she’s a new one out the end of the week I think).

Con Todo el Mondo by Khruangbin (in anticipation of their last release due to be delivered tomorrow).

Joan Shelley’s last album I love. As for the Designer by Aldous Harding. Check out the barrel video!

Currently trying to workout how to obtain a playable copy Sanación by Maria José Llergo.

Cesaria Evora also has been getting significant airplay the last week...
Give the dirt a little room.

User avatar
In Reverse
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by In Reverse » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 pm

techno wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:27 pm
gairym wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:18 pm
Oh yes, +1 for GoGo Penguin - really, really good stuff!

For d&b fans, try this out:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4wcmz9Q2 ... z9EznY6PTw
Oh yes!!
Image
Lovely stuff. :grin: An absolute banger.

User avatar
JohnClimber
Posts: 2654
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by JohnClimber » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 pm

voodoo_simon wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 pm
I wasn’t allowed to play a certain song as my wife’s cousin wedding a few years back. Spoil sports :lol:
The Bastard Son

"I just want liquor and dirty whores"

Am I correct?

User avatar
composite
Posts: 1493
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by composite » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:29 am

In Reverse wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 pm
techno wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:27 pm
gairym wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:18 pm
Oh yes, +1 for GoGo Penguin - really, really good stuff!

For d&b fans, try this out:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4wcmz9Q2 ... z9EznY6PTw
Oh yes!!
Image
Lovely stuff. :grin: An absolute banger.
John B is class.
I'm a massive junglist. Got shelves of drum and bass 12's sat behind me right now. :grin: :-bd

Todays listening was:
Goldie essential mix from 2007
Four Tet - New energy

voodoo_simon
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by voodoo_simon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:54 am

JohnClimber wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 pm
voodoo_simon wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 pm
I wasn’t allowed to play a certain song as my wife’s cousin wedding a few years back. Spoil sports :lol:
The Bastard Son

"I just want liquor and dirty whores"

Am I correct?
Banjo odyssey...

“I guess she's my cousin
But she needs some sweet lovin' anyway…“

chris n
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 am

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by chris n » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:35 am

Led Zep IV :-bd

chris n
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 am

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by chris n » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:37 am

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 pm
Clutch
Oooh, good choice. Best rock band ever.

techno
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am
Location: Hull

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by techno » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:57 am

Listening to a podcast about the Ramones ( https://open.spotify.com/episode/0zXePo ... jI3_IbBGNA )

And this came on, bloody great: https://youtu.be/h3kTKLkC6T4
Image

Post Reply