NAHBS adventure bikes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Brothersmith

NAHBS adventure bikes

Post by Brothersmith »

Just been looking at Dirt Rags coverage of the North American Handbike Show and thought I would share the link.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/nahbs- ... ring-bikes

Some lovely bikes, particularly like the English Cycles which was built for some lucky git in UK - not anyone here is it? :D

The Moots though is just more bling than style :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: NAHBS adventure bikes

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That Moots is truly gopping ... it's strange how something as simple as 2 triangles welded together with a wheel at each end, can finish up looking oh so very wrong :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Some nice bikes there.

So are hub geared belt drives becoming the norm for divide riding and bikepacking then?

I aim to move onto hub gearing at some point and have looked at belt drives but there don't seem to be many frames that are suitable for a belt drive.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So are hub geared belt drives becoming the norm for divide riding and bikepacking then?
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I built 2 bikes for a couple a few years ago who were off to cycle around various bits of the world. They asked for Alfine 11's which had just become available, it was only while fitting them that I realised just how stuffed you'd be if something went wrong ... no provision to bodge or cobble your way out of trouble ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I must admit i'm really happy with the decision to run my bike single speed. I carry a spare length of chain and a chain tool and i'm pretty much sorted.

Was having a chat with a mate the other day as we went riding together for the first time since i'd made the switch. He was dubious when we were talking (before he'd seen it in action) but after the ride, he could really see the positives, especially living in a relatively flat area. The worst thing in terms of riding would be the need to get off and push. Riding with a rigid front end too, there's very little that can go wrong.
Sorted that chainline problem now too. Moved to the inner chainring and bodged the tensioner to push upwards and the problem's solved. Cheers for the advice.

I think the key to bikepacking is to keep things as simple and functional as possible. I guess even with belt drive, you're limiting the chance of a readily available replacement which means carrying a spare.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I took apart a shimano nexus once coz it wasn't working. I fixed it with a hollow bit of tube and a hammer :lol:
But I had to be ooooh so careful taking it apart and putting it together. You can;t just simply change a bit of it :?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lovely bikes - the Retrotec 29+ with 15mm axles in particular.
Dan_K wrote:So are hub geared belt drives becoming the norm for divide riding and bikepacking then?

I aim to move onto hub gearing at some point and have looked at belt drives but there don't seem to be many frames that are suitable for a belt drive.
Rohloff / Alfine 8 makes some sense, more reliable but higher stakes. Heavier and less efficient but no big issue. Belts, don't see why not but don't really see an advantage outside of city bikes. I've got a belt drive bike project on the go here, nice system but I can't see any reason to use it on my MTB. Lack of easy/simple gearing changes puts me off as soon as I consider it. Chains are cheap and just work. I suppose if you have a Rohloff you don't need to change input ratios anyway, just a matter of finding the right frame.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I like the idea of rohloffs, mainly I think its the engineer in me that is fascinated by them.
Sooner or later I will get one.

Not keen on the belt drive, as above lack of spares could be an issue. I also dont really like the frame split either.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've always liked the idea of a belt drive SS ;)
BRP

Post by BRP »

I'm happy to say that I'm the 'lucky git' who owns the English. :D

With regards to the Alfines and belt drives...
I designed this bike about two years ago...all the features I wanted on it...and having ridden SS and fixed for so long now, riding with mechs off road drives me nuts. The noise, the slapping chain etc.I also much prefer the look of a singlespeed drivetrain.
Hub gears have come on so far now and the 8spd Alfines have proven to be very reliable.
But there is always that chance something could go wrong with any system, which is why I designed the English to run 135mm spacing up front too...with a SS belt cog on the Chris King hub as a bailout option.
Likewise, Beltdrive has now been proven to be very reliable too, especially with the new centretrack system...and with the lighter weight of the belt compared to a chain, you can always carry a spare in a frame bag in the unlikely event you should damage it.
I also wanted the bike to be able to fit into an S & S case...so the frame can be split in half using Rob's great system, which also allows easy fitting or removal of the belt.

I'm hoping this setup will prove to be perfect for me, and run with very little maintenance or hassle...but I guess time will tell. :D
gairym

Post by gairym »

lucky git!

sorry, couldn't resist - that's a mighty nice looking machine you've got yourself there.

I'm glad someone else (you in this case) has the balls (and cash/inclination) to try out all of this new techy stuff so that we can then all find out if it works and see if we want in.

let us know how it goes.
BRP

Post by BRP »

Haha...technically I didn't have the cash...but the waiting list is long for an English! :D

I'll keep you all updated and let you know what breaks first...but I have a feeling it's gonna be ME!
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

That is indeed a lovely bike BRP with some very nicely thought out detailing. Does that also mean your the maker of those lovely bags that adorn it too?
BRP

Post by BRP »

Thanks!...and yes,I also made the bags and harnesses.

I don't really make this kind of stuff as a rule...but you tend to make exceptions for your own bike! :D
Although I have made a few of the seatpack harnesses for other people as you can see below...they're designed around a 13ltr Ortlieb drybag, which I've been including with them. They also use buckles that don't explode when you crank them really tight! I've had too many bad experiences with airlocks and rock lockster buckles, which are the more commonly used types. :(

BRP

Post by BRP »

There are some better pictures of the bike on bikeradar if you scroll through to the right... http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... s-36527/17

Or on Rob's site... http://www.englishcycles.com/custombike ... vide-ride/
FLV

Post by FLV »

Nice piece of work there. Was it basically your design with input from rob?

He always produces such nice results.

Also, TD this year? How's the prep going for that?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sorry, just re read. TD 2014, in which case... When's the prep starting?

I'm looking into the timing of getting the time off work to line up myself for 2014. You fancy getting out for a ride and a chat over it at some point?
BRP

Post by BRP »

I knew everything that i wanted the bike to include...the dimensions, the folding frame, hub gear, belt drive, interchangeable wheels, good rear clearance, inboard rear brake, fat front compatible fork, custom bag mounts, bottle and anything cage fork mounts, upside down steerer, the custom, curved front rack, even the custom aero bars with the arm rests in line with the steerer, and the extensions mounted on the jones loop....but I needed Rob to figure out the best and most aesthetically pleasing way to achieve it all. I knew I could rely on him to be able to make it all work.
Rob was also a good source of advice when it came to the Alfine hub as he's had good experience with them...especially making them work with a belt, and good tyre clearance. His skill really showed through with that particular problem.
Seeing the way he solves problems is great...he approaches things with a much more open mind than a lot of builders.

I seem to have barely even sat on a bike in the last two years, so my divide training will literally be starting from scratch. My fitness is terrible right now compared to how it's been in the past.
But as soon as the bike arrives, that will be the kick up the arse that gets me started.
I'd be happy to hook up with anyone else planning on dividing in 14...it makes things much less daunting when there are other people in the same boat as you. :D
jameso

Post by jameso »

BRP, it's lovely bike.. great mix of Rob's trademark tech and your wishlist spec. Bags finish it of nicely! And personally I love all black bikes, just can't go wrong there.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

royAB

Post by royAB »

Hi BRP, question if I may.... how have you attached your framebag to the top tube?

(Working on a tandem design - Ti 29er Tandem on this forum - and will have quite a few frame bags so looking into ways to have as few fabric wraps as possible to save weight ...)

Cheers
BRP

Post by BRP »

I used bottle bosses down the length of all the tubes, so my way isn't to save weight...more for clean aesthetics and a really stable fixing.
Probably not much help? :)
royAB

Post by royAB »

Cheers BRP, most ingenious. Presumably there are sandwich plates internally top & bottom to keep things in place?
BRP

Post by BRP »

Yes...there are strips of plastic with foam on the visible internal face for stiffness and cushioning/noise reduction.