Where do bikes go at the end of their life?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RichinNW

Where do bikes go at the end of their life?

Post by RichinNW »

I’ve got 2 vintage mtbs (saracan tufftrax and trek 912) that were at some point >20 years ago overshadowed and forgotten when a newer shinier model came along - ooh those v brakes look like a good idea...wow carbon pace 32 suspension forks - I can ride down anything now!

They’re now in such a poor condition, that to renovate would require a comprehensive strip and rebuild with newer components.

So does anyone know of any bike project workshops in NE Wales/Cheshire/ Merseyside area?

Alternatively- they’re going free to anyone on here. I just can’t bring myself to put them in a skip.

Rich
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.
voodoo_simon

Re: Where do bikes go at the end of their life?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bren project in Chester will be worth a shout (I’m guessing they’re closed at the moment)
http://www.brenproject.org.uk/bren-bikes/
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Talk to nearby co-ops. They’ll either restore it or strip it for useful bits. My locals are always begging for donations and generally they’re projects very much worth supporting. Always had great help and advice at the co-ops I’ve visited at home and on tour.

Worst case, they’ll generally have some good ideas what to do with a totaled bike. They’re always desperate for more bikes.
RichinNW

Post by RichinNW »

Thanks both
I’ll start with the Bren project.
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.