Alpkit Kloke bivvy bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Re: Alpkit Kloke bivvy bag

Post by Escape Goat »

Great bag, due to buy the XL Hunka off John due to the Hunka being a little more tough and more roomy. I'll still use this with my winter bag for sure as the size is out of this world!

Really happy with the level of waterproofness too. Not had it in downpours, but lots of morning dew.

You can see a Neo Air Xlite in there, with a Cumulus 250 quit for the eagle eyed.

The most I've had stuffed in there is;

Neo Air
Cumulus 250
Panyam 450 STD length
and a 6ft 1 Escape Goat

It's a little snug in - but completely manageable - but really rather roomy with the mat and the quilt for 3 months a year.
Al

Post by Al »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:44 pm Mountain Equipment Ion is worth a look at if you want a fully waterproof bivvy for little weight / small packsize and reasonable money.
I bought stu’s Ion and would agree it sounds like what your after. I used it for a quick nap on the bb200 - it packs up and seemed pretty breathable. At some point I might try and add some bug netting to it, but otherwise it’s ideal for when you want a really minimal sleeping kit.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Check that each option will be big enough. Not sure how tall you are, or if you want the mat inside (I'm guessing so). The Sol one's are quite small I think.
composite

Post by composite »

boxelder wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:35 am Check that each option will be big enough. Not sure how tall you are, or if you want the mat inside (I'm guessing so). The Sol one's are quite small I think.
The SOL Escape is pretty much the same size as a Hunka, whereas the Ion is only slightly smaller than the HunkaXL. One thing I like about the HunkaXL has been that I have always been able to get everything inside the bag, including me, and it not be cramped or prevent lofting.

I'm 5'9" so it's not like I'm a big lad.
Al wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:20 am
I bought stu’s Ion and would agree it sounds like what your after. I used it for a quick nap on the bb200 - it packs up and seemed pretty breathable. At some point I might try and add some bug netting to it, but otherwise it’s ideal for when you want a really minimal sleeping kit.
Read a few things saying the Ion is barely waterproof but this seemed based on the technical spec. Was wondering what real-life experience might be like?
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

John, what sort of sheet cover are you using, and is it light and waterproof ?
And where can you buy the material?

“I've made a sheet cover for the airbed to protect it and keep it clean when it's on the ground.“
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Read a few things saying the Ion is barely waterproof but this seemed based on the technical spec. Was wondering what real-life experience might be like?
The Ion has a HH of 1500 which means the material can be classed fully waterproof. Many lightweight tents feature an outer with a lower HH ... make of that what you will :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Al

Post by Al »

I’ve not got wet in it yet, but haven’t deliberately used it on its own in proper rain.
RIP

Post by RIP »

You need to come out with Reg again then Al - guaranteed deluge test conditions!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Al

Post by Al »

You doing rain dances with that panda now reg?
As I just admitted in another thread I’ve become a secret tent fan :oops:
Think it’s the sanctuary from the wings terror more than the weather that did it.
Still I rate the ion when you’re not planning on much if any sleeping.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ericrobo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:51 am John, what sort of sheet cover are you using, and is it light and waterproof ?
And where can you buy the material?

“I've made a sheet cover for the airbed to protect it and keep it clean when it's on the ground.“
Based on an old post from Stuart I bought one of these blankets
http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... k.html?m=1

I've only used it two or three times, so I thought I'd give it a try and it's a perfect size to wrap about and fit my mattresses.
I've stitched it down both sides, across the bottom and fixed velcro to the top.
So it's insulated as well and keeps the mattress clean too.
Still to try it out overnight though
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

composite wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 am
I bought an Ion based on Stuarts recommendation and had a night in it under torrential rain during storm Hanna whilst doing the Capital Trail a couple of years ago. Stayed dry and was very impressed how waterproof it was. Whether as it gets older it stays as waterproof I dont know but think superb for the money.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I used a Terra Nova Moonlite on the HT550 in 2014. Perfectly fine, if a bit short, and the drawstring is slightly annoying while you’re inside that. Combined with a very lightweight sleeping bag (I have a PHD Autumn Racebag at 350g), it’s enough for summer bivis, and comfy enough to enjoy it.

Going lighter, the SOL Escape is less durable, but feels more weather proof when you introduce a down bag. It’ll keep you warmer when wet, but it doesn’t breathe much at all. I didn’t die on a windy hilltop bivi, but I wasn’t too comfy.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Been looking at a Kloke for a while and just gave in.

Down to 109 and they've got extra 10% off this weekend with code AKCMR10. Brings it back to the release price that I missed.

Now to figure out how to bodge a midge net onto it. I asked them to do one via the factory but they weren't keen!