WTD: Woman

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Re: WTD: Woman

Post by Karl »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:02 pm If comparing to the female attendance at the Jennride is it not likely that she had a number of female followers on FB/Insta etc who would likely do so because they had a shared interest and would, therefore, be more motivated and informed about that particular event? Maybe you need to convince a Lee Craigie or a Jenny Graham etc to commit to the WRT and see if that garners some of the right publicity/profile.
We have Cath, she's probably one of our biggest inspirations for anyone, male or female!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:55 am
Are you sure?
Bollox - thought that was a different thread. Sorry Bridget.
:lol:

Though I would agree that there is an awful lot of mansplaining going on in this thread :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:02 pm If comparing to the female attendance at the Jennride is it not likely that she had a number of female followers on FB/Insta etc who would likely do so because they had a shared interest and would, therefore, be more motivated and informed about that particular event? Maybe you need to convince a Lee Craigie or a Jenny Graham etc to commit to the WRT and see if that garners some of the right publicity/profile.
Didn't they all take the huff with this forum after the TD in 2017?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 pm
No idea. What happened at the TD in 2017?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:21 pm
htrider wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 pm
No idea. What happened at the TD in 2017?
I only spectated (!) but there were a few pertinent comments made re rules which caused a bit of a furore on facebook....
burty

Post by burty »

I agree with Karl the cow booth .
Out of all the woman racers/riders I have seen ,read about over the years Kath sticks out to me more , always smiling and cracks on and gets the job done . :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I recall there were comments made with regard to the TD rules which some people took personally. They then unloaded their feelings on social media.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Well intentioned as it is, this thread/idea doesn’t work without a majority of female voices. If anything, I’d guess it’s likely to be counterproductive. Borderer’s comment about mansplaining is bang on.

I think it’s a great idea but it needs to be championed by a woman and owned by women.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well intentioned as it is, this thread/idea doesn’t work without a majority of female voices. If anything, I’d guess it’s likely to be counterproductive. Borderer’s comment about mansplaining is bang on.

I think it’s a great idea but it needs to be championed by a woman and owned by women.
I was simply asking / hoping / thinking one may step forward and at that point, it would be theirs. To be honest, I am now considering the vegan introvert option instead.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

:lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The LHC is already a good option for introverts. Too many vegan introverts in one place might reach critical mass due to the reaction between a vegan’s innate need to tell everyone that they’re vegan and an introvert’s innate reticence to do so.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I think Charlie's comment about having a female voice is valid.
Back in June we did a weekend ride from Teruel which used some of the Montañas Vacias route, the chap whose idea MV is, Ernesto, advertised it on Facebook as did his partner Maria. Over 40 riders turned up 50% of whom were female and not only those dragged there by males. When we did the whole route with other 'Boners the other week, Maria was taking another trip out as we finished, this time it was female only and 60+ riders had signed up from all over Spain. "If she builds it, they will come"
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Borderer’s comment about mansplaining is bang on
Is it?

I must be tone deaf (or not remembering, can't be arsed to re-read it) but I don't recall anything overtly condescending or partronising, thought it was just banter and discussion. TBH, given the shag line earlier (comedy gold :lol:), I thought B's MS comment was banter too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Back in June we did a weekend ride from Teruel which used some of the Montañas Vacias route, the chap whose idea MV is, Ernesto, advertised it on Facebook as did his partner Maria. Over 40 riders turned up 50% of whom were female and not only those dragged there by males. When we did the whole route with other 'Boners the other week, Maria was taking another trip out as we finished, this time it was female only and 60+ riders had signed up from all over Spain. "If she builds it, they will come"
Exactly.

I think my intentions have perhaps become misunderstood. The OP was an invitation for a woman to take on the role like Maria ^. How would anyone be expected to know that the opportunity exists without a post like this to get the ball rolling?

I could have approached people directly but I felt that may have put people on the spot and they'd perhaps feel obliged to take on the roll even if they didn't really want to.

Sadly, you're somewhat damned if you do and equally damned if you don't. To be honest, it's like treading on egg shells and my understanding of the world of PC only stretches so far. :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Good on you Stu, an admirable attempt.

And as for "woke", this made me laugh:

https://www.facebook.com/bbccomedy/vide ... 204996778/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

jameso

Post by jameso »

mansplaining
I thought that was men being patronising to women, men talking to each other about stuff they're fairly clueless about but will have a guess at is different? As said, needs input from both sides 😁 that was helpful for me with the TNR point anyway.
Cath

Post by Cath »

ok ok I think I qualify as a girl/woman - definitely not a lady :wink: I am also a vegetarian but you'd never know. Anyway I'm still a bit too intimidated to walk into the Star on my own so I get that women will not be as keen to put themselves into a group where they would have to sleep out with strange farty men and only a tarp as protection - little do they know they should be focussing on worrying about tussocks :grin:

A lot of my friends keep saying they would like to try something like the WRT, they just seem unable to make the commitment, perhaps its just like leaping into the Star.

So Stu, I'll volunteer to lead on this though I think it needs a zingier name.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Probably not really up to a chap to say so, but that's ace to hear :-bd .

Looking forward to seeing the women's version of our blokes' LHC advertising photo :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's great news Cath. I'm sure it'll be much appreciated by all.

Yes, LHC does sound more like a paramilitary group than an enjoyable weekend of cycling. I'm sure we can come up with summat zingy. We'll try and avoid the usual process of saying the first piss-taking thing we think of and it sticking for evermore :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Name? I'm bound to get shouted at by somebody but here's a starter-for-10: Tyred And Emotional. Immediate reaction might be 'that's a pisstake' but closer inspection may well reveal it as complimentary.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

The Women's CathArsis Club - enabling release of tensions/cares that restores and refreshes the spirit. Well WRT certainly does that for me anyway.

An alternative spelling of 'catharsis' is 'catharses', which I understand may not meet with complete approval....
Last edited by RIP on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

De Cath letes is better
RIP

Post by RIP »

That might dictate visiting ten pubs/cafes. No bad thing actually :smile: .