'Bikepacking' SITS

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

'Bikepacking' SITS

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A few years ago I promised myself that I'd never do another 24hr race ... but the thought of bikepacking one is starting to appeal. No pits, no crew, no nothing, apart from what you're carrying. If you need a kip then pull over in the woods, if you want a brew, get your stove out.

Anyone else 'like' the idea? Team Bear Bones ... I think it could be a laugh :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Stevemorg

Re: 'Bikepacking' SITS

Post by Stevemorg »

great idea and probably the only way I'll ever do a 24hr race! I'm not sure how they'll cope with hammocks across the trails though
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Weirdo :roll:
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'm confused :?
Isnt that just the BB200? It would have been nice if it finished after 24 hours as i could have had a lie in and you could have picked me up in Rhayader ;)

Friends are trying to convince me to enter Mountian Mayhem, which is never going to happen
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:A few years ago I promised myself that I'd never do another 24hr race ... but the thought of bikepacking one is starting to appeal. No pits, no crew, no nothing, apart from what you're carrying. If you need a kip then pull over in the woods, if you want a brew, get your stove out.

Anyone else 'like' the idea? Team Bear Bones ... I think it could be a laugh :shock:
Not 100% sure on how the logistics would work for that. If it's laps - then I'd rather have the aim of X laps and if I need a rest (never done solo mind you) then can wait for a nice base camp setup. If it's a long distance thing... then it requires I guess a set route and who can get the furthest afair - then be recovered. Actually that does sound interesting :D
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

s8tannorm wrote:A few years ago I promised myself that I'd never do another 24hr race ...
Amen 8-)
jameso

Post by jameso »

It's an appealing idea, I was planning a Self-Supported-Solo 24 end of last year but didn't feel up to it after a busy summer and autumn. I posted the plan on STW to see if others had done it / general chat about it and got zero replies )
I can't be arsd with the laps format and crowds of events but a few of us did a solo 24 (20hrs or so riding and much faffing) in the early 90s as teens. Always wanted to see if I was up to it again.

Figuring out a loop isn't easy, mentally an 8hr loop could seem harder to set out on the 3rd time than 20 laps of a short course? I was thinking of an out n back of a 10-11 hr route and expecting it to be close on 24hrs inc a couple of food stops.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As has already been mentioned, the BB200 could almost be considered as a one lap 24hr 'race' (depending who you are) ;)

My idea was really more about putting a different spin on the usual laps format of Mayhem or SITS, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ok, got it. Initially it doesn't seem to work with an event like that, but taking a different attitude to it appeals.