26” rigid forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Max Effort

Re: 26” rigid forks

Post by Max Effort »

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:08 pm This one, 100mm suspension-corrected...

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-f ... d-fork-p48
That would be great, but they don’t seem to have the suspension corrected option in stock.
Maybe someone else will have it?
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:09 pm
Max Effort wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:38 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 am Surly Troll fork: simple and satisfactory, with V-brake & disc fittings and eyelets for a variety of racks. Acceptable commuter bike comfort with a slick 2" tyre set to "slightly squishy" :ugeek: .

For off-road, at a similar cost I'd be inclined to stick with a simple air fork, as it's just more fun :-bd . Unless you intend to fit-and-forget for the next 20 years... :-)
Thanks for the reply.
I have looked for a Troll fork but I can’t seem to find one that’s suspension corrected???
I currently have some Magura Menja air forks that I’ve yet to seriously try out. I’ve never heard of them before I bought the bike. Maybe I’ll get to like them.
The rigid forks would be for a combination of weight saving, low maintenance and reliability.
Is it the 130mm or 100mm... the 130mm are vaguely exciting (some of the heads required for servicing can get rounded/seized so just careful in that dept) and probably amongst the best sus I've ever had... Tried the 100mm aswell thinking they'd be as good (probably on another bike or maybe I fotted to someone elses..) but the brake dive on the 100mm is terrible!
Mine are the 100mm version.
They don’t seem too bad, but I’d still prefer rigid forks.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You don't need suspension corrected forks especially - you just need something the same length as what's already on there once you've factored in sag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:56 pm
Would they be ok for 26ers?
No reason why not. The Surly fork is 420mm A to C and the Exotic is 425mm and there's 1mm difference in offset.

What's the axle to crown length of the fork you have now - assuming it handles okay?
That’s very true.
The A-C length without sag is 473mm and with sag it’s about 430mm.
It seem to handle well enough, although I haven’t given it a proper beating yet!
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:55 pm You don't need suspension corrected forks especially - you just need something the same length as what's already on there once you've factored in sag.
I’ll bear that in mind.
That could make things simpler! 🙂👍
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

After much deliberation, I’ve plumped for the Exotic carbon forks.
I’ll order some this weekend.
Thanks very much for all your advice.
It was very much appreciated 🙂👍