bike bivy this monday anyone?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

bike bivy this monday anyone?

Post by Mike »

right after seeing the bivy a month thread im in....planning to ride mon tues this wee coming anyon fancy it and any good suggested routes? i was thinking around cadair or maybe midwales! can anyone recommend any good sheltered spots as its gonna be cold!
Chew

Re: bike bivy this monday anyone?

Post by Chew »

Why not use the El-an Back GR's?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

SN 654986
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

can't chew. i havnt got them as i couldn't make this trip either due to my shifts til prob ask stu for them once u guys have done it so i can av a go when im off work like i had to with bearbones, don't u just hate it when work comes before play. thanks st for that grid ill av a look when i get home
Mike

Post by Mike »

stu, is the bridle path on map south of tarrenhendre ridable along the ridge roughly in the dirrection of that grid u gave as it looks like a good path to ride. also is the lake exposed as wanna use tarp or is it in a dip cheers.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Yetiman... the track SW of Tarrenhendre summit was used in the WRT a couple of years ago (here for a video https://vimeo.com/32699863 of ascent and descent from 2.15). Final push/carry followed by a soggy ride down/along.
I've missed this weekend too due to work dragging on but might be out later next week... won't be back till Sunday/Monday but thinking of a late El'an Back trip following my planned route.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Mike

Post by Mike »

99percentchimp, thanks for that advice. Just out of interest when was u thinking of doing the el n back as i was looking to do it myself after the event due to work. If u want some company illl be up for it as long as im not back on duty??
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Hi YM.. not spoken to the OH yet but sometime next week or the week after.... weather Wed/Thursday looks good at present. But might be the week after - I can be pretty flexible with days once away from work here. Weather dependant and some company might be nice - not race pace mind ;)
Cheers, Mark
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

As I'm missing this weekend's festivities, I'll be hopefully going out next weekend. I'd be happy to plod round the El and Back route, or anywhere else. I'm based in Newtown.
I’ve been abart a bit
Mike

Post by Mike »

SBF - im always up for riding my prob is i work shifts and im on weekends for awhile but as ive said to 99pc im always up for it if im off in future maybe mid feb if u fancy a blast. Im working on the bivvy a month n trying to get one in for jan but running out of time, so heading out to mid wales tues wed now for overnighter hopefully near Llyn Barfog as weather window is looking great!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yetiman ... byway that runs from Happy Valley NE is worth riding as is the byway that runs over from Aberdyfi and skirts the lake.

You'll get away with a tarp by the lake. On the south(ish) side of the lake there's a large hollow, you'll be sheltered on three sides and fine, unless it's a N wind which is doubtful.
Mike

Post by Mike »

thanks stu, i have been looking at that byway but didnt know if it was gonna be churned up or not, thats if its the same one im looking at? runs from roughly 623015 east to 669998? was thinking about climbing to top of Tarren then dropping down the ridge south to join the byway at 645001? sorry to be a pain but as i know you know this area and its gonna be dark by the time i get there wanna make sure its ridable first otherwise ill re route abit. thanks mike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes that's the one, it work both ways, however there's less climbing if you start from the west side but actually a longer descent if you travel travel west.

I really wouldn't bother with the Tarren Hendre ridge, it's usually wet but at the moment it'll be nasty ... you'll push more than ride, even downhill ;) The climb upto the summit is also pretty unpleasant.
Mike

Post by Mike »

thats a massive help thanks i remember the climb up to tarren on the wrt it was a bitch so ill leave that out and head to the coast from back of cadair via the c2c route that i think some of u guys did last yr down into tywyn then pick the byway up to barfog instead. cheers for the advice it will save me chuntering to myself along the ridge :P