What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:03 pm
ledburner wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:40 pm Trying to find 10mm dia X 5mm alloy spacer m5 to secure out chainewheel properly.
The inner (middle)ring is includes thread standoff boss instead off the 10mm hole for a chainring bolt. Fitting have got lost /not available.....
Any ideas?
When do you need this by?
Hi Phil I've been busy, thanks for the offer. I can wait a few days. Let me know the cost. I need 4off 5mm X 10mm dia spacer, threaded m5 + a spare if possible.
Thumb sketch below.
DM
Attachments
IMG_20231003_131049_(1080_x_681_pixel).jpg
IMG_20231003_131049_(1080_x_681_pixel).jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 8854 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right - I'm away all next week so it will have to wait until the week after but I can do this without too much grief and I quite enjoy the lathe work. Charging you would indicate I'm a professional, which I'm not......
Will keep in touch!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:55 pm Right - I'm away all next week so it will have to wait until the week after but I can do this without too much grief and I quite enjoy the lathe work. Charging you would indicate I'm a professional, which I'm not......
Will keep in touch!
Whilst you're away enjoy tha' sen.
I'm sure I can pass on the favour & feed the bar etc.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Saturday: I took the Racing R** tyres off and fitted a Nobby Nic to the front and a Rocket Ron to the back. Took three attempts to get Ron up, as it turned out he had a cut and a hole, so those had to get patched. The freehub fell off, again, so I took the opportunity to clean it out and put some proper DT Swiss hub grease into it, rather than the old B'Twin Teflon stuff I used last time.

Found this in the front tyre that came off...

Sunday: Took the rear wheel off the gravel bike so I could get the 50t Garbaruk cassette off, so stripped the handlebars in preparation for replacing the broken brake lever.

While I was at it, I dropped the fork so I could recover the bottom headset bearing, as it's FUBAR. It says Cane Creek 52mm on it, I was hoping for a bit more info is it a 52mm x 40mm x 7mm 45°/45°, 52mm x 40mm x 8mm 45°/45° or a 52mm x 40mm x 6.5mm 36°/45°...? 😒 Either way, it took a while to get it out, as it was pretty welded to the inside of the head tube.

Then it was back onto the Scandal, where it took far too long to service the clutch on the XT rear derailleur, but again, I took the opportunity to use the proper Shimano grease, rather than the B'Twin stuff. The after-market Garbaruk cage also took a while to fit, which leaves me with the distinct impression that I didn't tension the old cage properly after I last serviced the clutch before the WRT; which probably explains why the derailleur would occasionally stick forward when coming off the largest cog, causing the chain to fall off.

The gear cable was knackered, so I was going to replace both cable and outer, but it turns out I didn't have enough outer, so I just chopped a cm or two off each end to get rid of the knackered bits. Eventually I got enough tension into the cable that the top jockey wheel stopped catching and everything seemed to index up and down without issues. I also swapped out the front and rear brake pads for new, as the front ones were pretty worn.

Two and a half hours later than planned, I headed out, and rode to High Lodge and back. I had planned to run around the Blue and Red routes, but due to being late, just filled up my water and headed back. Apart from one cog in the middle of the cassette making a bit of a noise, it all seems to work; apart from the chain falling off if I back pedal when in one of the large cogs. I'm assuming the chain line isn't quite correct, so might have a look at that tomorrow. It's noticeable that the tyres are slower on the tarmac than the ones I just took off, but the increased confidence that I'm not going to just fall off at the first sighting of slop, is worth it.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Finally fitted the Canyon Iridium 120mm dropper (re-branded Brand-X) and ZTTO lever i've had for about 3 years. Don't really need it so much around here, but planning to get further afield, and attack some of the local trails a bit more. Along with the 120mm fork i recently got, the Unit has been transformed into a fairly hefty, but very capable trail bike. The fork a/c increase has slackened it to a static 65' HA and improved the too-low stack height. It's 32lbs including seatpack and crud catcher. But it's still running 2.6 XC tyres, so that's next on the list to change, aiming for 2.4s with a touch more bite
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Following BB200
Regreased XTR pedals, regreased headset, took C'dale lefty off and stripped it down ready to send off for a service, serviced brakes, stripped and regreased DT240 rear hub.
Put the pedals on my bouncy bike ready for some winter fun.
Stuck some ergon grips on the Brompton.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Not my bike precisely, but picked up an Edge 800 off of gumtree last week and with the mini-usb cable that came with it and the usb-c adaptor that came with my phone and by downloading a file manager app...I can put routes on it without having to fire up the PC. It's not as neat as bluetooth but it works and means I can also tinker with routes using komoot while out and about.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Discovered that the BB bearing on the NDS on the Spearfish was fubarred. Looks like last weekend did for it. Ho hum... It'll have to go to the bike doctor as it's a Hope PF and needs a special tool that costs as much as the BB itself.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ledburner wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:14 pm
Hi Phil I've been busy, thanks for the offer. I can wait a few days. Let me know the cost. I need 4off 5mm X 10mm dia spacer, threaded m5 + a spare if possible.
Thumb sketch below.
DM
Ta dah!

I quite enjoyed doing that - artisan machining :grin:
PM me your address and I'll post them next week.
Phil
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Swapped out the 105 compact crankset for a grx sub-compact on my CdF. Another eBay purchase that I probably didn't need, but should hopefully provide a more useful gear range.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:07 pm
ledburner wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:14 pm
Thumb sketch below.
DM
Ta dah!

I quite enjoyed doing that - artisan machining :grin:
PM me your address and I'll post them next week.
Phil
Yay! Pm'd ya.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Had a couple of spare hours this morning, so decided to get the gravel bike wheels setup for winter. Took off the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M and found bucket loads of thorns and what looks like a couple of nails. Got to love the combination of these tyres and the Orange Seal Endurance that I didn't even know I had this many foreign objects sticking though the tyres. I'll leave it for another day to patch all the holes for reusing the tyres next year:

Took the old Vittoria Terreno Zero's off the Hunt wheel and put them onto the DT Swiss wheels, along with an old 11-42T Shimano cassette; they'll be used on the rollers. I then fitted some Pirelli Cinturato Velo to the Hunt wheels and set them up tubeless, along with the 11-50T Garbaruk cassette. I also chucked on some new Speedplay Zero pedals, which I'm eager to try, as I've lost faith in the Look Keo Blades I've been using up to this point. Finally, I took the chainring and jockey wheels off as they were manky and need a proper clean. Unfortunately, two of the bolts holding the chainring on were rounded out inside, so I had to whack a Torx bit in to get them out. Guess I need a few more parts before I can get it all rebuilt...

I think I have a tyre hoarding problem...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I think I have a tyre hoarding problem...
I dunno, they look far more neatly stacked than my hoard.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Mezcals off, Hillbillies on. You can thank me later for the protracted spell of unseasonably dry weather... 😉
faustus

Post by faustus »

Put the Camino in winter mode. 650b back on, mudguards on, new Ritchey Corralitos handlebar, fresh tape, and a nice rear mud flap!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Gave the ECR a half decent wash, changed the oil in the Rohloff in preparation for it being laid up for the next 4 months while I'm in Londinium on a course. ( Takes up too much space in my brother's hallway.)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice mudflap Faustus!
Continuing the winterisation theme I've bunged the winter wheels on the straggler inc. trusty Schwalbe marathon mondials. Having had a lot of tubeless faff and loads of punctures on this bike, this year, it's actually nice to bung on some very heavy tyres that won't puncture or wear out.... They weigh a ton, but I'm currently going through a phase of not caring how heavy my bike is (again)

Also noticed this:-

Definitely got my moneys worth so a quick clean up and new ones on. Of course after all of this I threw on bags and stuff, ready for Octobers BAM :-bd
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

After my last off road ride on my drop bar bike I realised that it needed some TLC. The bar tape was absolutely destroyed for one thing.

I figured if I was redoing the tape I should try out some new flared bars - some Salsa Cowbells from the classifieds.
I'd also wanted to try a Redshift shock stem but didn't want to pay the money so had ordered an Aliexpress knockoff.

So gave the bike a good clean (jockey wheels were disgusting) and then changed the bars and stem and put new bar tape on.

My arse seems to have changed shape after getting into weightlifting so need to swap all my saddles to these Fabric ones I've found are comfortable.

But now my contact points are fresh and bouncy!

Still some work to do tomorrow - cut down the mudguard stays and replace some of the nuts with stainless ones as they are rusty, and the screw-in front brake pad bolt needs to come out, but it is proving tricky. I also need to have a look at the bar rotation angle and try out the different springs that came with the stem.

Also need to take the bike to a shop somewhere to see if I have exploding cranks.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

....Tested it after a bit of a bike jigsaw puzzle yesterday....

Straggler is just about 6 years old and has served me well. I keep thinking about 'upgrading' it but there is nothing out there that is sufficiently lighter, is singlespeed-able and has similar sure footed geo to justify the cash and hassle. Mind you it cost me 400 quid - they are twice that now!

Anyway, it's mudguards were falling apart after much bodging so scored a new set from Spa cycles, branded as stronglight but pretty good (and £22) - 48mm wide which puts them between SKS sizes and matches the 42mm schwalbe marathon mondials well. Silver unfortunately. So, despite being something of an expert at fitting long 'guards, it took the usual foutering and faffing to get them on and set up properly. I then set too with my recently acquired aero bars which could have done with an extra hand but we got there eventually. Of course I also had to fit an exposure stem light mount thing which was a further fiddle plus I need to lash up a better GPS mount. On the first proper ride (scenic route home from work, inevitably in the rain) early indications were good but I've risers in the post which should put them in a better position for my aging bones...
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Put some Chinesium carbon Surly corner bar copies on my single speed broken road, went for a ride and they didn't snap so I'm calling that a win.
This is the closest I get to a gravel bike but it has 2.6 inch tyres on so quite a bit of comfort from that.Image

What's the worst than can happen?
Tractionman

Post by Tractionman »

some adjustments, saddle and seat post, plus more air in the tyres:
mongoose small.jpg
mongoose small.jpg (130.77 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks good that Trob :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

After two weeks of procrastination and literally doing anything, sanding and oiling the kitchen worktop for the first time in three years for instance, I've finally started to rebuild the RAG+. Drilled out a broken stem bolt, so I could refit the original 90mm stem, as the 100mm one I had been using was noticeably too long.

The main aim of this lunchtime wrenching session was to replace the bottom headset bearing, fit the bumper bar and get all that cinched down. Job done.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’m curious how the bumper bar works out since I’m tempted to get myself one
Boab

Post by Boab »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:09 pm I’m curious how the bumper bar works out since I’m tempted to get myself one
I'll find out tomorrow when I ride back from dropping the car off at the garage.

Fitted and bled the new brake lever, also put new pads in front and back. The lever action isn't exactly short throw, so I might have to do it again. Fitted a new chain and took it for a spin around the block to set the handlebar angle and hood height.

Took my time and managed to get the handlebar tape on correctly on both sides. Fitted the mudguards and adjusted to fit the new tyres, then fitted all the other accessories.

Just some protection tape to go, then I can swap bikes and sort out the Scandal.