What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Took it to bits and put it into a box...Image

And incidentally, I’ve managed to post a photo without going through Flickr.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I lost my lowest gear on a recent ride - so I thought I’d be brave and try and fix it myself. Having gone through the full rigmarole of getting the bike stand and my tools out and watching a couple of videos, in typical fashion, 2 quarter turns of the barrel adjuster later it was shifting perfectly. Now I just need to work out how to trim the front derailleur so that it doesn’t rub the chain in the highest gear and track down a dreaded creak from the left crank when pedalling under load.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

PaulB2 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:59 pm I lost my lowest gear on a recent ride - so I thought I’d be brave and try and fix it myself. Having gone through the full rigmarole of getting the bike stand and my tools out and watching a couple of videos, in typical fashion, 2 quarter turns of the barrel adjuster later it was shifting perfectly. Now I just need to work out how to trim the front derailleur so that it doesn’t rub the chain in the highest gear and track down a dreaded creak from the left crank when pedalling under load.
Well done Paul :-bd

Is it a Shimano crank? Is the bottom bracket still good (any side to side play by rocking it!?) and/or is the preload adjuster correct and have you checked them two bolts that pinch the left crank into place :grin:

Happy searching... :smile:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

My direct mount chainring broke today, so I superglued it back together. Thankfully it stayed together for the rest of the ride.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:40 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:59 pm I lost my lowest gear on a recent ride - so I thought I’d be brave and try and fix it myself. Having gone through the full rigmarole of getting the bike stand and my tools out and watching a couple of videos, in typical fashion, 2 quarter turns of the barrel adjuster later it was shifting perfectly. Now I just need to work out how to trim the front derailleur so that it doesn’t rub the chain in the highest gear and track down a dreaded creak from the left crank when pedalling under load.
Well done Paul :-bd

Is it a Shimano crank? Is the bottom bracket still good (any side to side play by rocking it!?) and/or is the preload adjuster correct and have you checked them two bolts that pinch the left crank into place :grin:

Happy searching... :smile:
I was going to take the pedals off since I wanted to put flats on anyway, grease threads and reassemble to see if it’s the pedals first. The ones on there are quite old so they probably need a bit of TLC. It’s a praxis Alba crankset so if it’s anything more than a loose bolt it’ll be a lbs job.
redefined_cycles

Aha. Thanks for the update Paul. Hope you get it sorted easily/cheaply...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The ribbing of Richard G about the state of readiness or otherwise of his bikes reminded me to get the Solaris sorted.

Due to a bust rim I'm one (rear) wheel down at the moment so having swapped it onto the Solaris for last weekend's Ride with Reg I needed to swap it back again. The Solaris is 10spd and the Spearfish 11spd so it meant swapping the cassette as well. I also swapped over the front wheel as the frame was acting as mount for the wheel with the Mezcal 2.6 which *might* not be the best tyre for October in Mid-Wales :lol:

Just need to ride the bloomin' thing now...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Weedy Rangers off (I cut the back off but managed to prize the front one off with only a small amount of screaming) Bonty XR2's on. New shimano metal pads but looks like the front caliper is leaking - I can't be bothered changing it now and it's not got so bad that the lever loses pressure so I'll go with it as it is.

Just got to choose suitable attire and bivvy kit and I'm ready for Wales :mrgreen:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

New BB exciting stuff :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Bounce[y forks] and barzo's back on for BB200.

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I finished off some maintenance tasks today. A 1/4 turn on the front derailleur high limit screw fixed the chain rub in high gear which was simpler than expected. In an attempt to fix a constant creak under load I removed the pedals, gave them as good as a clean as I could without using solvents, re-greased the threads and installed them again. The crankset only needs a 8mm allan key so gave that a good tighten as well just in case it was that but wasn't sure how tight to go since I don't have a torque wrench that goes high enough. No creaks on a ride to the end of the road and back so hopefully that's fixed it. If it comes back then I can look at giving the pedals are probably massively overdue service (apparently I need to a little plastic doohickey for that - TD-PL40? which I'll have to track down) and last resort is to take it into the LBS to look at the BB since that'll need yet another tool I don't have.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Fitted this beauty! Wide narrow inner ring Xtr fit.
Trying to find 10mm dia X 5mm alloy spacer m5 to secure out chainewheel properly.Image
The inner (middle)ring is includes thread standoff boss instead off the 10mm hole for a chainring bolt. Fitting have got lost /not available.....
Any ideas?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ledburner wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:40 pm Trying to find 10mm dia X 5mm alloy spacer m5 to secure out chainewheel properly.
The inner (middle)ring is includes thread standoff boss instead off the 10mm hole for a chainring bolt. Fitting have got lost /not available.....
Any ideas?

When do you need this by?
redefined_cycles

Why are Phil and Dan shouting :lol: :lol:

Anyway, my bike. Still needs that bloomin front tyre refitting with tubeless. Had it in the front room for a day or few, but that's boss ordered it out yesterday or day before. Back to decorating and plastering and adding a new alloy radiator.

I'll hopefully get to do something to the mtb soon - like add a front harness for the BB200 :-bd Have emailed one of the folks from here (might be a secret but maybe not! I don't wanna risk it) who's designed and (is having) made his own bikepscking bags. The blueprint frlor the front harness looks vaguely exciting so I've pestered him again for when/how to pay/order.

Dan... I like the new upgraded bottom bracket guard?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:52 pm Why are Phil and Dan shouting :lol: :lol:

Anyway, my bike. Still needs that bloomin front tyre refitting with tubeless. Had it in the front room for a day or few, but that's boss ordered it out yesterday or day before. Back to decorating and plastering and adding a new alloy radiator.

I'll hopefully get to do something to the mtb soon - like add a front harness for the BB200 :-bd Have emailed one of the folks from here (might be a secret but maybe not! I don't wanna risk it) who's designed and (is having) made his own bikepscking bags. The blueprint frlor the front harness looks vaguely exciting so I've pestered him again for when/how to pay/order.

Dan... I like the new upgraded bottom bracket guard?
'Tis the forum providers fault, I wasn't shouting, honest!
redefined_cycles

:lol: Phil, I was just messing (but you know that) :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:09 pm :lol: Phil, I was just messing (but you know that) :grin:
:-bd

Dan, to clarify, I have machining capabilities, but it may take a few days.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:01 pm And incidentally, I’ve managed to post a photo without going through Flickr.
Spill the beans........how?
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Not decided if I'll ride it at bb200, probably not as I suspect I'll be on my stooge, but I had a play with the singlespeed today.

"Mullet" setup seems popular on dh and enduro bikes, and I've a load of older stuff so have gone mini-mullet™ with a 26" rear wheel and 27.5" front. First impressions are good, manuals and jumps nicely up and down the curbs aIong my road... forgot to take a picture, but it's a right mixture of a bike! XC frame, 140mm front fork, enduro front tyre, 32-17 singlespeed and an old 521 on XT qr rear wheel.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Shot away some sticky dog poo off the rear tyre of my ssp Moxie, which got a new fork and was sparkling.
I tend to feel the urge to take a dump in front those dog holder's doors Good thing is, for redemption just thinking about this is enough for me.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Got the singlespeed ready* as its nearing winter

* quick fettle with the gravity dropper and some air in tyres ( and some new fluid ).brakes were fine
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Will be pulling the Reba fork off in favour of the rigid on the Big Bro for the winter and probably before the BB200, more than likely be hanging the Full suss up for the winter for the arrival of the slop around North Wales bridlepaths etc
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:07 pm Got some mushroom plugs to do permanent repairs to the pinch puncture I got on the BB300.
Got a nasty puncture yesterday, managed to sort it, including popping the tyre back onto the bead. Obvs tyre is pretty flat again today, so I'm thinking of trying these mushroom plugs. Any recommendations, or just the cheapest off [insert favoured online shop here]...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Put my salsa Mukluk on a diet

Started at 16.5kilo with rear rack

Rear rack came off getting it to 15.8kilo

Took of the Surly Nates 27TPI and groupsets (was 2x10)

Jumbo Jim’s fitted and went singlespeed (32x18)

Final scores - 13.2 kilos, was hoping a little lighter but hey ho

Certainly accelerates quicker :-bd
Attachments
IMG_7098.jpeg
IMG_7098.jpeg (198.74 KiB) Viewed 7674 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Boab wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:01 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:07 pm Got some mushroom plugs to do permanent repairs to the pinch puncture I got on the BB300.
Got a nasty puncture yesterday, managed to sort it, including popping the tyre back onto the bead. Obvs tyre is pretty flat again today, so I'm thinking of trying these mushroom plugs. Any recommendations, or just the cheapest off [insert favoured online shop here]...?
That's what I did - they all seemed the same