What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by dlovett »

On Friday I took the Camino out for a shake down for the NY300. New rear brake pad's and a rear bleed at a shop on the way as they had an airlock in them. The Ventures were great on very dry ad dusty multi-surfaces and I got about 150km's so everything is bedded in for the weekend quite nicely now. Actually happy with the bar/gismo/bag setups for once and the snags list only has two things to do on it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

dlovett wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:22 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:39 am Bunged the WTB rangers back on the Jones ahead of the NYM300, after patching 4 holes in the rear.... Looks to be a fair bit of road and gravel on the route and these roll very well on such terrain, in fact Stuart has indicated it's "gravel friendly" but he said that about the 2017 YD200 and his was the only gravel bike to make it round....
I rode a loaner Camino from Alpkit on the YD200 that year. Made it round despite it having silly road gears and road spec tyres on it. I bought my own one a week later, with a different spec. I'd trust Stu R more than Stu W when they say gravel friendly!!!!!
Ah, were you the first person to finish? I do recall another gravel bike track I was following as well as another mountainbike track but I never the met the rider!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:58 pm
dlovett wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:22 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:39 am Bunged the WTB rangers back on the Jones ahead of the NYM300, after patching 4 holes in the rear.... Looks to be a fair bit of road and gravel on the route and these roll very well on such terrain, in fact Stuart has indicated it's "gravel friendly" but he said that about the 2017 YD200 and his was the only gravel bike to make it round....
I rode a loaner Camino from Alpkit on the YD200 that year. Made it round despite it having silly road gears and road spec tyres on it. I bought my own one a week later, with a different spec. I'd trust Stu R more than Stu W when they say gravel friendly!!!!!
Ah, were you the first person to finish? I do recall another gravel bike track I was following as well as another mountainbike track but I never the met the rider!
God no, I came joint 8th with Claire. Technically she beat my in the sprint to the shop by half a bike length. Not that I'm still sore about that.....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

dlovett wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:05 pm

God no, I came joint 8th with Claire. Technically she beat my in the sprint to the shop by half a bike length. Not that I'm still sore about that.....
:lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Changed the rear gear cable on the old Solaris to a full outer in time for the NYM300, so the Ortlieb frame bag stops making gear shifts quite so random.
Last edited by boxelder on Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Fighting with getting tubeless to stay inflated on the CDF. ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(
I've done loads of tubeless setups, ghetto gaffer tape always does the job. the usual issue is getting the tyre to seat. Not in this case.
It's new Muk Off spaff which seems excellent.
I've done 2 wraps of gaffer tape, left it for an hour for the adhesive to do whatever adhesive does.
The tyre is seated well and it holds air, long enough for a 12 mile ride .... all good.
But there's air coming out the spoke holes. But no spaff. Surely the latex fluid would seal any small leaks... it's its flippin raison d'etre !
It's a WTB i19 Tubeless ready rim.
I've now bought Muk Off rim tape and will give that a go today.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Generally it's the rim tape that is the issue with tubeless, especially if it's coming out the spoke holes.
I am lucky that my bikes all have old standards on them (non boost and QR) so I bought up some 'ancient' highly unfashionable top end MTB 29er UST wheels with the solid rim bed for essentially peanuts and put them on my camping bikes and now don't need to worry about that side of things as it was eternally annoying.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Surely the latex fluid would seal any small leaks.
Not spoke leaks IME and re wrapping is the only solution [ You could try dripping sealant on it from the outside but doubt it will work] You may need something* to get all the tape off as I once struggled with a [ second hand] gaffer taped rim as it left so much residue and tape on when peeled

* think I used isopropyl alcohol iirc.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:55 am Fighting with getting tubeless to stay inflated on the CDF. ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(
I've done loads of tubeless setups, ghetto gaffer tape always does the job. the usual issue is getting the tyre to seat. Not in this case.
I've done 2 wraps of gaffer tape, left it for an hour for the adhesive to do whatever adhesive does.
The tyre is seated well and it holds air, long enough for a 12 mile ride .... all good.
But there's air coming out the spoke holes. But no spaff. Surely the latex fluid would seal any small leaks... it's its flippin raison d'etre !
Tried a different valve?
godivatrailrider

boxelder wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:35 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:55 am Fighting with getting tubeless to stay inflated on the CDF. ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(
Tried a different valve?
Not yet .. it was brand new Muk Off one which is very nicely made.... I've redone it with the mukoff rim tape .... will see how it fairs overnight...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:47 pm
Tried a different valve?
Not yet .. it was brand new Muk Off one which is very nicely made.... I've redone it with the mukoff rim tape .... will see how it fairs overnight...
I had a similar case with a Dura Ace front rim. Had a rim drainage hole which would cause the air to leak out soon after being inflated. I imagine I would have needed to get the tubeless rim tape to adhere around the inside edge to the sidewall but was using Tesa (quite rigid) tape that would only overlap onto the inside side wallsby a mm or so.

In the end I gave in and decided higher road pressures and non-vulcanizing (ie. by not using rubbish Stans which becomes part of the tyre over time and a nightmare to scrape off!) sealant wasntreally compatible with such a setup.

I'd put money on it (but I don't gamble, so won't) that if you could find 24mm stretchy/flexy tape (like the DT Swiss tape) and could get it properly overlapped round the edges. Using at least 3 or more wraps to create a super tight interface. Then you'd get it sorted. Probably be a pain to mount/dismount the tyre but should work :smile:
redefined_cycles

Oops. Sorry. You seem to have fixed it already with MucOff (I believe that's similar to the DT Swiss supple stuff). Looking forward to the results pls :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I hate to say this but I tried muc off sealant and it was completely useless. It allowed the tyres to seal but seemed incapable of sealing any puncture.... I'm slowly using the 2l I bought up by mixing a bit with stans (which is a bit thin)
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:36 pm I hate to say this but I tried muc off sealant and it was completely useless. It allowed the tyres to seal but seemed incapable of sealing any puncture.... I'm slowly using the 2l I bought up by mixing a bit with stans (which is a bit thin)
Get with the programme Phil. We're talking about the rim tape :lol:
Though I've always seen Mucoff to be a load of *&£t=, hopefully the rim tape is flimsy enough (sorry to the new owner) that it went round into the edges nicely :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:27 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:36 pm I hate to say this but I tried muc off sealant and it was completely useless. It allowed the tyres to seal but seemed incapable of sealing any puncture.... I'm slowly using the 2l I bought up by mixing a bit with stans (which is a bit thin)
Get with the programme Phil. We're talking about the rim tape :lol:
Though I've always seen Mucoff to be a load of *&£t=, hopefully the rim tape is flimsy enough (sorry to the new owner) that it went round into the edges nicely :-bd
Oh aye... nay use to me as only 35mm wide :grin:
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

stans (which is a bit thin)
Just add glitter
godivatrailrider

Tried a different valve?
So far, so good :-bd rode 12 miles on it yesterday and it's stayed up overnight ..... fingers crossed for continued inflation.
I removed the gaffer tape and cleaned the rim well first with white spirit , then cellulose thinners and left 20 mins to evaporate/dry.
Then I applied the Muk-Off tape which went on really well, ensuring a good adhesion, then a 2nd layer.
The valve is excellent.
And I like the spaff too. it's thick, and hopefully up to the job it's intended for.
We'll see.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Sadly, what I've done to my bike today is find several cracks in it ☹️

Had a mystery creak that I couldn't get rid of, so gave the bike a good clean before planning on a strip/clean/regrease of the BB area. Unfortunately, spotted a little crack on the chainstay... Didn't look too bad, so rode it to work thinking I'd strip the paint off and have a go over the area with die penetrant kit to check for other cracks.

Did not need to do so, as before I even got the cranks off to start sanding, spotted a larger crack on the other side and a second one coming from the first but along rather than across the stay.

Looks like I'll be building my cx/commuting bits onto an older MTB frame and chopping the bright yellow shark up into tubes to play with ☹️☹️☹️ It's made from heat treated 6061 tubing, and I've only got DC welding kit anyway so not worth the effort to weld, treat & repaint.
redefined_cycles

godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:01 am
Tried a different valve?
So far, so good :-bd rode 12 miles on it yesterday and it's stayed up overnight ..... fingers crossed for continued inflation.
I removed the gaffer tape and cleaned the rim well first with white spirit , then cellulose thinners and left 20 mins to evaporate/dry.
Then I applied the Muk-Off tape which went on really well, ensuring a good adhesion, then a 2nd layer.
The valve is excellent.
And I like the spaff too. it's thick, and hopefully up to the job it's intended for.
We'll see.
Sounds like a job well done :-bd
redefined_cycles

PaulE wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:42 pm Sadly, what I've done to my bike today is find several cracks in it ☹️

Had a mystery creak that I couldn't get rid of, so gave the bike a good clean before planning on a strip/clean/regrease of the BB area. Unfortunately, spotted a little crack on the chainstay... Didn't look too bad, so rode it to work thinking I'd strip the paint off and have a go over the area with die penetrant kit to check for other cracks.

Did not need to do so, as before I even got the cranks off to start sanding, spotted a larger crack on the other side and a second one coming from the first but along rather than across the stay.

Looks like I'll be building my cx/commuting bits onto an older MTB frame and chopping the bright yellow shark up into tubes to play with ☹️☹️☹️ It's made from heat treated 6061 tubing, and I've only got DC welding kit anyway so not worth the effort to weld, treat & repaint.
Sorry to hear about that Paul. I always look at a (well used) cracked bike as a job well done. Hopefully you'll gotten your moneys worth out of it and wasn't the first owner - so a few people having got their monies worth. Now you've cracked it by giving it lots of cracking rides.

I know it sounds like I'm taking the pee, but I'm not. Hopefully the spare mtb will keep you going for the foreseeable future too and lots more excellent riding to be had with the parts. :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I agree - I am the first owner but have used it to commute and other bits on for at least 5 years....

And it's a fairly light cyclo-cross race frame which I've definitely abused & enjoyed, my route home from work takes in one of the rother valley DH tracks (very tame, but still) and plenty of rough gravel.

Certainly well used and due retirement - think I'll make a pen pot for the wall in my classroom from the headtube tomorrow! Just a bit annoying as it's the second cracked fram this year already.
redefined_cycles

Yes. That can get annoying Paul. Mine cracked at the chainstay within about 1000 miles of xc use and atill had 3 years warranty of 5 outstanding. Manufacturers refused to acknowledge it being a fault and didn't agree that it was too soon to crack (after having spent £800 for the frame alone).

Took me a long while to get over it and stop being annoyed at the manufacturer. I feel for you :smile: and hopefully you'll be able to recall mamy fond memories with it. I think I managed 2 BB200 on it so at least it made some use :grin: Won't say it.... bar stewards :o :smile:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I got around that on my CX bike with 35c tyres. However, it wasn't much fun and I've done every long, off-road ride since on fatter tyres. NYM will be on the Stooge
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Johnallan wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:53 pm
I got around that on my CX bike with 35c tyres. However, it wasn't much fun and I've done every long, off-road ride since on fatter tyres. NYM will be on the Stooge
:-bd FKT then?
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:07 pm :-bd FKT then?
Fat Knobbly Tyres? Absolutely :grin: