What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by Lazarus »

I have used plenty of tubeless tyres without issue. sealant will eventually make them tubeless

Bargain bike though, would have had one but the sizes were all too big for me
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:57 pm I have used plenty of tubeless tyres without issue. sealant will eventually make them tubeless

Bargain bike though, would have had one but the sizes were all too big for me
Yeah, I'll perhaps stick with them. At least until I don't. The carcass sidewalls actually seem less permeable than many tubeless I've used, so I'm perhaps only lacking whatever is structurally different between tubeless and not.

It's my second Hook EXT having built one up over lockdown. That one was always a size too small for me so I sold it on, and wasn't really looking until I spotted those at the correct size for me being sold off and thought why not. They're really fun bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Oddly I found none tubeless WTB's don't weep sealant out the sidewalls and tubeless ones do... Split tube is a good way of making none tubeless tyres work tubeless.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think tubeless are just rubberised to be air tight and tubeless are not. I don't think the tyre is structurally significantly different ( though that assumptions a total guess so happy to be corrected)
Did about 3000 miles on my commuter ( non tubeless used tubeless ) without issue.

I forget how long they took to be fully air tight but cannot be that long or it would have stuck in my mind.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:53 pm Oddly I found none tubeless WTB's don't weep sealant out the sidewalls and tubeless ones do... Split tube is a good way of making none tubeless tyres work tubeless.
Are you not then losing some of the benefits - adding weight and losing 'suppleness'?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:23 pm Are you not then losing some of the benefits - adding weight and losing 'suppleness'?
Dunno, could be - a bit academic with duro cruxes and Surly buds. :grin:
No it was a pair of WTB nanos I was thinking of that I got cheap (£10 ea) and used tubeless until they wore out. I then bought a pair of tubeless ones which widdled sealant everywhere...
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

The new (to me ) Jones came with Loop bars. I bought a Rockgeist Dr Jones bag to utilise the space in the loop as I wont be needing to use a bar harness as I have Jones fork bags...
However the width of the hole in the loop is just too narrow to accept a waterbottle in the new bag...
So I've swapped the Jones bars for the Geoff bars off the Rooster as the gap in 10mm wider in the Geoffs and the bottle fit's in.
Otherwise the bars are VERY similar.
I'm not sure I will put a waterbottle in the bag, but having the option to may prove useful.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Fitted new mudguards to my Tempest. Made a pigs ear of it to begin with but managed to fix it. Just need to trim stays and check it over.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Almost got out for a ride today. Target has been 100km at a time which has been crippling me. Last ride was a month ago (cold BAM) so I made a route in the Cotswolds and thought I'd go yo work early to get the ride in today (work is tomorrow).

Little boy needed to go skatepark though so I was comandeered (by the wife obviously) that I needed to do daddy duties. Started preparing the bike but it was all seized up from last months grit and possibly the 300 miler the month before!!

Spent some quality time washing the bike. Daughter asked if I had been using my Sonic/Philips toothbrush to wash the bike. I replied in the affirmative, so she probably now thinks I'm a bit doo-lally. Worked well to unsieze the chain though as well as remove the syrface rust off the (Dura Ace :o ) cassette. The edges of the brake disc also has corrosion (Shimano!!).

Anyway, it's clean and tucked away neatly to be ready for a ride soon. Took the little man out to the skatepark and back in the good books of all the family (cleared some more loft debri in prep for some more Rockwool roll :-bd ). Cycling... Here I come (InshaAllah/God Willing)... Keep speaking about the genocide btw!!
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Broken on Garburn Pass, then ridden the rest of the way to Dungeon Gill
Last edited by riderdown on Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bit of a clean up needed there! :grin:
Has the axle actually snapped?
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Has the axle actually snapped?
The dark part of the fracture was during the ride, caused a bend to the axle, the silver bit is where it pulled apart when I dissembled
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yousers, at least you got home on it...
Is that a Novatec hub?
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Got around to trying to sort out the side wall puncture picked up as I hit the road ~3km from the end of last weekend's Jennride and nursed back to the Mill Yard from there

It's an annoying one as there's no real obvious hole there but it just won't seal. It's at the top of the / between 622 and 29. A dab of superglue seems to have got it to hold for now, but I'm wondering if these side walls are not long for this world. I know these Vittoria Barzo grey walls show a bit of ply from the off, but can anyone compare to their own and report back as I don't recall how much was showing and am wondering if the Strathpuffer mica-infused mud back in January has worn them out? They've done perhaps 3000km.
IMG_1732.jpeg
IMG_1732.jpeg (205.14 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Fit and wrapped the new-to-me Jones H-bar on the Fairlight Holt. It feels so much nicer already on a couple of laps around the block.

Thats all 3 MTBs now fitted with loops. I just wish I could find a Goldilocks saddle to ease discomfort at the other end... The search continues
Boab

Post by Boab »

Johnallan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:49 am I just wish I could find a Goldilocks saddle to ease discomfort at the other end... The search continues
Have you looked at the SQ Lab ones...? You can get most of the range from Tweeks Cycles. https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/sadd ... e-2-1.html
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Boab wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:57 am
Johnallan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:49 am I just wish I could find a Goldilocks saddle to ease discomfort at the other end... The search continues
Have you looked at the SQ Lab ones...? You can get most of the range from Tweeks Cycles. https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/sadd ... e-2-1.html
I've looked but they appear to be shaped in such a way that they'd cause me even more issues. The flat side-to-side shapes usually dig into my arse/leg/groin crease when I'm climbing (hips rotated forwards) and cause pain/numbness. Rounder and narrower shapes seem better for me but I've still not found 'the one'.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Much manoeuvring for me

Bought this electric town bike v. cheap from Evans:

My girlfriend and I share it for doing errands and commuting.

I changed the saddle to a Fabric one that suits my butt.
Need to buy another 34.9mm seatpost that I can cut down and put the original saddle on - as a) her butt and my butt are non-similar and b) the current post does not go down far enough for her minuscule legs.

Which led to trying to fix the cheapy aliexpress brake lever on the old electric shopper that had threaded the bite point adjuster. Which was, sadly, unsuccessful.
So a new 4 piston hydraulic brake appeared from AliExpress (£15 posted!) to replace it, which has now been fitted to this:

Which will be cleaned up nicely and put up for sale to offset the cost of bicycle above ^

Tomorrow's job is on my curly bar bike which has an Ultegra 6800 drivetrain on it. Which I find doesn't have a low enough gear for off-road climbing with camping kit on it.
So I have a GRX mech, an 11-42 Microshift cassette and a new 11 speed chain sitting ready to go on to see if I can get more spin. All of that stuff came from the wild closing down sales CRC are having, think I was under £50 for the lot!

Hopefully works OK, may need a hanger extender.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Johnallan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:43 pm I've looked but they appear to be shaped in such a way that they'd cause me even more issues. The flat side-to-side shapes usually dig into my arse/leg/groin crease when I'm climbing (hips rotated forwards) and cause pain/numbness. Rounder and narrower shapes seem better for me but I've still not found 'the one'.
Bummer...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Fitted new brakes to the Jones. A bit of a U turn for me as I'm back on Hopes after finally getting fed up of Shimano variable lever / will the brake work or won't it nonsense. They've done alright on the Jones at 7 years old I suppose....

Anyway my local-ish bike shop (singletracks in Kirkcaldy) is cheapest on the net for Hope in any case and they had a pair of X2's in stock discounted to eye watering rather than heart stopping-ly expensive so I bit the bullet. The lever is a bit Robocop-like but fairly understated in black. Usual faff shortening hoses (why don't they just supply all the bits and let you do it rather than attaching hoses which are always too long so you waste olives and glands) but managed to avoid spraying DOT5.1 everywhere and avoided the need to bleed.

So we'll see - Dot fluid is the downside but normal bleeding instead of fannying around with syringes, full spares back up and nicely compact calipers are the plusses.
redefined_cycles

Nice1 Phil. Reminds me that I need to think about something other than Shimano for the SC...

Anyhow... After lots of faff over the week I was ready and freed up for a ride. No work so thankfully no excuses to not get out. Just needed some fettling on the steel bike as I couldn't be bothered to fetch out the disc brake carbon bike. Who wants all that rubbish Shimano brake squeal!!

Ghost shifting over the week meant I didn't fancy taking it out before sorting a new ferrule. Hoping to reuse the cable and get on with my 500 mile month target for this month. Cable out and noted a fray shard at the lever end. Lets just change it!!

Whilst resetting (or 'checking') the rear mech lo bolt I realised a chain link was ready to pop off. Maybe that's what thw ghost shifting was. New chain measured but not long enough.

So a Frankenstein made with a same but used chain. No wear though, so I carefully joined some links out of that. Which reminds me I should've used the mini chain tool and not the Pedros big-daddy. Especially since I was supposed to report back to John about it way back when.

Bloomin road bikes, you never know if you'll find some 3m electrical tape to finish the rewrap after adding new cable. Found it though albeit not the same color.

Decides to give the rear caliper a clean. But it remained gritty, so in comes an old micro fibre towel with water. Oops, it then becomes seized solid - the adjuster to open and close the calipers. Not having much joy with rear brakes this week. So decide to open and clean.

That's when it all collapsed on me and I almost lost the ball bearing. About 10 minutes of 'oh dear' whilst I tried to rebuild micro parts with big rubbery hands. Grease added after a wipe and back together. All running smoothly once again... Phew Thanks God!

Then it was prayer time so riding postponed for a few mins. After that a good 35 miler which was supposed to be flat. But when you live in West Yorkshire, every hill talks to you. Teasing you to come and play.

So what was supposed to be flat and a work around the hills, soon became 1000m of uphill and 34.95 miles. Just 393 to go. No pressure...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Replaced a few worn bits 'n bobs on Flic.
On with new BB-MT501 taken from my brothers Trek after he went with a CK.
Sub-200 mile HG500 cassette stolen off the trainer...a fresh 1051 chain.
The Hope 32T looked good so I left that. It's wearing well and much longer lasting than the Gamut rings I used to use.
Having 10th that doesn't skip will make a nice change.

about_time.jpg
about_time.jpg (227.26 KiB) Viewed 358 times

Greetz

S : )
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Had a front brake that had been a little noisy on the past couple of GRVL rides so thought I'd sort before this evening's outing. Maybe a left it a little long … 

~760km ridden on that on my regular terrain which doesn't tend to be that harsh on brake pads. I'm not sure if stock SRAM pads are just a bit soft, or whether that's the wetter than ever winter taking its toll.
IMG_2844.jpeg
IMG_2844.jpeg (156.01 KiB) Viewed 305 times
redefined_cycles

Hyppy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:52 pm Had a front brake that had been a little noisy on the past couple of GRVL rides so thought I'd sort before this evening's outing. Maybe a left it a little long … 

~760km ridden on that on my regular terrain which doesn't tend to be that harsh on brake pads. I'm not sure if stock SRAM pads are just a bit soft, or whether that's the wetter than ever winter taking its toll.

IMG_2844.jpeg
700km isn't bad to be fair. True about this winter btw as it's taken it's toll on lots of brake pads with my bike/s. Satisfying new pads. Hope they don't squeal like nasty Shimano!!