What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by Boab »

Switched bikes and started to take the cranks and bottom bracket off the Scandal. Took a bit of effort and some skinned knuckles, but they all came off without too much issue. Put the new Hope stainless bottom bracket on, then fitted the cranks and then the pedals. Went to fit the chainring and found it was too small to go over the pedal, so took the pedal off again. Then found that both the chainring bolts I bought, or those that came with the cranks, wont fit through the Hope chainring. Eh...? There was me thinking a chainring bolt was a chainring bolt.

Anyway, new blue bling for the bike. Should probably get some blue crank boots...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Do the male parts of the bolts thread directly into the chainring?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

What model no of chainring have you bought there pls Bob :smile:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:34 am Do the male parts of the bolts thread directly into the chainring?
Yes, did a bit of googling early this morning and found a thread on the other forum talking about the 30t being threaded. When I got the gravel bike out this morning I had a quick look and yes, it's threaded. No idea how I missed that last night... 🤦 In my defence, I have an optician appointment booked...
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:15 am What model no of chainring have you bought there pls Bob :smile:
It's a Hope Retainer Ring, to match the Hope bottom bracket and pedals.
redefined_cycles

Boab wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:53 am
Bearlegged wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:34 am Do the male parts of the bolts thread directly into the chainring?
Yes, did a bit of googling early this morning and found a thread on the other forum talking about the 30t being threaded. When I got the gravel bike out this morning I had a quick look and yes, it's threaded. No idea how I missed that last night... 🤦 In my defence, I have an optician appointment booked...
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:15 am What model no of chainring have you bought there pls Bob :smile:
It's a Hope Retainer Ring, to match the Hope bottom bracket and pedals.
Aha... So the answer is that it threads straight into the retainer ring and then the nut comes from other side (through the holes in the crank arms) and thread straight into this threaded bolts - I think the newer single specific Shimano cranks just have the bolt come straight throughy the chainring holes and bolt straight into the threaded holes on the crank arms.

Might be specific to XTR though and hence this Hope ring being more versatile for various type (shimano and whatever BCD) cranks!
faustus

Post by faustus »

Up side is it's a lot easier to fit, no faffing with a chainring nut wrench/peg spanner :-bd

Shaf - indeed some of the newer shimano cranks have threads for chainring bolts (M7000/8000), but to compensate for that, they have the annoying assymetrical 96mm bcd. :roll:
redefined_cycles

:-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fitted, and test ridden. Most likely threaded one of the bolts, as they appear to be made of cheese. Also looks like I need to service the clutch again after the repeated dunking on the BB200.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

New lefty leg...got destroyed during BB200

ImageLefty by alexberry1, on Flickr
ImageLefty by alexberry1, on Flickr
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've had puncture woes today. ..... Flat tyre this morning again, so I gave it a coat of looking at ..
I've fixed a puncture on my cargo fat tyre unicycle. It was,a bugger to remove the tyre and inner tube so I gave up. :sad:
I had to resort to desperate measures. ...
The 2nd cannister of sealant, 5 year past Best Before date 2016, sorted it.Wheelbarrows, got to luv em :-bd

Edit typos correct size for the thread hijack but it's cheeryfriday
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

When my wheel barrow tube went I tried to set it up tubeless (no really :roll: ) and blew the tyre to bits....
£8 got me a solid tyre wheel (non boost) which works a treat :-bd

Alex thats a shocking amount of wear for one ride, wet or no - I recall the DH lefties had a gaiter on them - might be worth considering. You can get neoprene socks for trials bike forks which might work.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Alex thats a shocking amount of wear for one ride, wet or no
Alex rode it through Strata Florida, the seal would have been under muddy water for extended periods with the fork being active

I'd be checking the brake fluid as well
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Boab wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:10 pm Fitted, and test ridden. Most likely threaded one of the bolts, as they appear to be made of cheese. Also looks like I need to service the clutch again after the repeated dunking on the BB200.
Is there still a hosepipe ban in place down your way?
:wink:
Boab

Post by Boab »

boxelder wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:30 am Is there still a hosepipe ban in place down your way?
:wink:
That's clean!
redefined_cycles

Yesterdays (training) ride up towards Luddenden Foot and the longest continuous road climb in britain (I forget the name), I kept getting slipping of the chain. 2 miles in to potential 50 miler and I turned back home.

Didn't seem to be the rear hub as it wasn't necessarily slipping under torque. Wasn't a worn sprocket at the larger - one's i use most the time - sprockets weren't slipping. Maybe it just needed a good clean.

Got home, in the workstand. Checked the chain and there wasn't any wear even with pushing the chain checker in at 0.75%, it wouldn't go. Asked my little one if I could borrow his electric toothbrush body and used my worn brush head. Deep clean of the full drive train followed.

After that I noted the cranks got stiff to pedal at a certain revolution so invetigated the chain. Found a stiff link and then the battle of loosening it off started.

It just wouldn't loosen up. Did the z and s technique and wiggled it loads. Still tight... Then got a flosser in between the links. Still tight and really wierd as it wasn't the 'connecting pin link'. Eventually I had to carefully part-break the chain by pushing a pin through. Flossed inside the links and rejoined. Bit of z wiggling and voila.

Cleaned a bit more to remove residue of the degreaser and water etc. Applied some denatured alcohol stuff (forget the name). Left to dry, lubed with Smoove and left for another half hour or so. Went for the ride 45 miles and smoove shifting throughout :smile:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:21 pm Yesterdays (training) ride up towards Luddenden Foot and the longest continuous road climb in britain (I forget the name),
Crag vale .. (Of crag vale coiners (counterfeiter noriety)...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

ledburner wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:15 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:21 pm Yesterdays (training) ride up towards Luddenden Foot and the longest continuous road climb in britain (I forget the name),
is it from Hebden Bridge up to a reservoir ? Drove up it a couple of years ago....
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Not so much today but over the last few weeks....
My rims on the Mukluk are showing their old 10 year old age, so I've given them a freshen up. £32 spent in Halfords for a Primer, Colour and Laquer

Land Rover White :-bd

Happy with how they turned out tbh :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Swapped lights, tool bag, stem bag over from hardtail to Tempest. Also fitted temporary mudguards which will end up on the hardtail when I get new ones for the Tempest. Remembered to remove seat post and add a little copper slip before re-fitting. Plan was to fit and then head out for an hour while roast cooked but it was bucketing down by the time I got changed.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

is it from Hebden Bridge up to a reservoir ? Drove up it a couple of years ago....
Mytholmroyd
redefined_cycles

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:54 am
ledburner wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:15 am
Sorry GDT, yes it's nearby to Hebden Bridge but this one starts at Mytholmroyd and ends at Blackstone Edge Res. There's actually a counter claim to the longest continous ascent in Britain but apparently the other one has a tiny dip, though it climbs more.

Stats are 5.34 miles, 938ft of climbing elevation and max gradient of 10% with the average being only 3%. Very therapeutic as it's mostly open road with only the flattish bit at the top being less wide (not narrow, but good to hold your ground a little).

If you then turn left and right over a massive bridge, there's slightly steeper climbs about. That's where we hit (quite literally, a driver stopped us to warn) the ice going down hill. Despite walking my mate had a bit of a slip, trip, fall. Even dropped his phone which I nabbed in the hope he'd not notice until miles down the route (but he spotted it immediately, so quite boring really).

Hopefully he learnt his lesson that you don't keep the phone in the rear jjacket pocket up here in Yorkshire/Halifax...
redefined_cycles

Realising that soon I may have no bike, I got to work with the few spare mins, to getting some wheels ready for the mtb.

Gorilla tape had been removed previously and weighs in at 25g. So I just needed to hope the new wider Schwalbe tape shaved a few off.

Being carbon I dare not get sandpaper to create a clean smooth surface to the inner channel. So degreaser the ethyl alcohol it was. With lots of scrubbing with a spinge and some careful scrapping with a kitchen knife. That Stans (and many other sealants) leaves a lot of vulcanised goo!! So it was tedious work.

Final scrub of alcohol amd on went the tyre. 2.2 onto a 40mm internal, I was playing with a close shave as I don't like to use so much pressure (levers and inflated tyre after that) on the rim bead. It went straight up, but being non-tubeless was a bit too porous.

Popped em in the classifieds (2.2 x 29er X Kings) and used a well used Onza instead. At least its 2.4 so less pressure on the rim edge and it went up nicely. Sealant (olive grinds etc) squirted in of which I overdid and hung in the outhouse.

Final weight? Well I gained about 4g byt at least I've got a good 2.5 layers of wrap and it's the pretty blue logo'd tape.
redefined_cycles

Yesterday I tried to run a new cable through the internal disc carbon frame. But had a few hiccups whereas it wasn't supposed to be that tough.

Today after a 12 hour shift (awake since 0430) I came hone and used the plan b and c... Tried to take a look internally and in no particular order, noticed a cable running through the down tube. Could it be this hindering the routing of the inner cavle through the sleeves.

Off came the crankset to try and get my fingers inside the BB area from beneath and through the BB holes. But only after removal I remembered itspress fit. Don't wanna be hassling with that and risk knackering the bearings!!

Decided to take that random outwr cable out of the down tube. Which stupid idiot puts an out gear cable inside the down tube. Got the little cable cover off the top of the top tube and tried to wiggle it out. Boroscope at the bottom showing it was all skew-wiff. Out came the pliers and the cable cutters... and the tweezers. Bloody thing won't pull out.

Hmmm, what this fluid doing here. Wonder where that came from!!! That's when I realise I've cut through the blooming hydraulic cable for the rear discs brake :o WTH.

Serves me right getting a road hydraulic disc internally routed carbon bike. Been sat in shed for almost 2 years aswell so needed attention and getting out :grin:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Been wondering what to do with the pile of Ti tubes that used to be my Van Nicholas Zion frame. As a condition of replacing the frame under warranty, for the 3rd time due to cracking, I was required to cut off the headtube and send them photos. I'd thought of turning thinner rear triangle tubes into wind chimes, but what to do with the downtube? A cat hole trowel seemed appropriate given their pile of poo QA so ended up with this.
Thought the retention of the Van Nicholas logo was a nice touch.
Not bitter or anything :roll:
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:43 pm Been wondering what to do with the pile of Ti tubes that used to be my Van Nicholas Zion frame. As a condition of replacing the frame under warranty, for the 3rd time due to cracking, I was required to cut off the headtube and send them photos. I'd thought of turning thinner rear triangle tubes into wind chimes, but what to do with the downtube? A cat hole trowel seemed appropriate given their pile of poo QA so ended up with this.
Thought the retention of the Van Nicholas logo was a nice touch.
Not bitter or anything :roll:
Very nice :-bd