What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by godivatrailrider »

whitestone wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:01 pm Gravel-wankerising the old Croix de Fer.

I had thought of getting rid of the CdF, it was my commuter/winter bike but with Covid and now not commuting (well I am but shifting 50kg+ of kit 60 miles isn't that practical by bike) I thought of using it a bit more. A list of GWer bikes shows the CdF range and the geometry hasn't changed much, if at all, since I bought mine so it's become a little on-going project.

A new front tyre has gone on today, a Bontrager GR2. Unfortunately the rim (it's the original wheel) doesn't seem to be tubeless compatible, even using an Airshot at 120psi the tyre wouldn't "pop" onto them, generally with Bonty tyres they mount really easily but not this combo. Ah well, have to use a tube for now. The other front wheel has a centrelock disk mount whereas this wheel is 6-bolt, fortunately I'd a spare rotor of the required size so that went on. The tyre is a bit bigger (40c) than the existing one and it just fouls the mudguard but that's easily fixed by centring the guard.

The back tyre is the original and is a lightweight gravel tyre, it will do for now, might put on a GR1 or Panaracer Gravelking in due course.

Remaining jobs: handlebars; maybe better brake cable outers and a GWer mug mount :wink: .
Doing exactly this .... (much) wider bars, 45mm tyres, new wheels.... :-bd
Primal Adventure

Post by Primal Adventure »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:14 am That looks really neat Stuart. Lovely looking bike too :smile:

Welcome to the forum btw Stuart and I'm sure you'll enjoy the company here...
Cheers Shafiq, and thanks for guiding me here to the forum.
Current bikes, Surly ECR, Cotic FlareMax, Cotic Roadrat.

https://www.instagram.com/primaladventure1/

https://www.strava.com/dashboard
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Primal Adventure wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:46 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:14 am That looks really neat Stuart. Lovely looking bike too :smile:

Welcome to the forum btw Stuart and I'm sure you'll enjoy the company here...
Cheers Shafiq, and thanks for guiding me here to the forum.
Thanks Stuart...

Stuart, forum... Forum (members) Stuart (with a Surly :grin: and lots of grit and ready for the upcoming BAM).
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

...post-WE2023 repairs, so I can CTWFH tomorrow :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

Whats the FH stand for Pete pls... I got the CTW. (Edit : from home). Stand down :smile: ...

Ivebeen thinking similar for tomorrow but decided to drive! :sad:
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:29 pm Whats the FH stand for Pete pls... I got the CTW. (Edit : from home). Stand down :smile: ...

Spot-on, my son! :-bd
Don't blame you. Mine is merely a bimble round the woods compared to yours, Shaf.
redefined_cycles

MuddyPete wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:18 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:29 pm Whats the FH stand for Pete pls... I got the CTW. (Edit : from home). Stand down :smile: ...

Spot-on, my son! :-bd
Don't blame you. Mine is merely a bimble round the woods
compared to yours, Shaf.
35 miles to Manchester Pete. Only problem is that the cut off (or maybe 'cut-in' a better word) to become a traveller is 38 miles minimal. So it'll technically still class as a local commute and I'd not be able to cut&shorten my prayers (a real convenience for me when at work at worrying about the yearly income/2nd homes of parliament and Rishi the dirtbag :o )...

Nice one at getting your bike properly dirty btw Pete :grin:
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

35 Vs. 38 miles - whose decision is that?

Filth bike - cheers. Descending the slurry trail with poor & howling brakes whilst trying to avoid a herd of scared, stampeding cows gave an unexpected end to my 2023 WE :o .
Our dog was having a right old sniff of my clothes when I got home last night :shock: . He must have thought "What have YOU been up to this weekend?" :lol:
redefined_cycles

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:01 am 35 Vs. 38 miles - whose decision is that?

Filth bike - cheers. Descending the slurry trail with poor & howling brakes whilst trying to avoid a herd of scared, stampeding cows gave an unexpected end to my 2023 WE :o .
Our dog was having a right old sniff of my clothes when I got home last night :shock: . He must have thought "What have YOU been up to this weekend?" :lol:
Decision/verdict being given by Allah in the Quran and the conveyance/explanation by the prophet Muhammed PBUH. But there is a school of thought that says that it needs to be made farther as 38 miles way back when wasn't as far as we can cover it now (if that makes sense).

Anyway, got the waterproof washed and is drying now (smelt/smelled a bit rough after not being aired from last weeks mtb), making the route now and thankfully missus hasn't told me off for having the bike in the room. Maybe I'm being given an exception due to being short-timed in preparing for work... :-bd
redefined_cycles

Descending the slurry trail with poor & howling brakes whilst trying to avoid a herd of scared, stampeding cows gave an unexpected end to my 2023 WE :o .
Have you got Shimano aswell Pete. Such a horrible nightmare is that noise. Especially when there's houses/people :shock:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Curly bar bike: Got fed up with a Maxxis refuse tyre that constantly weeps sealan and needs pumped up every week t so put a Gravelking semislick on to match the front SK which has been great.

Brother in Law's full sus: Changed the front chainring from a 34t to a 28t as he wants to do the Loch Lomond Trossachs Loop with us but wanted lower gearing. Will need to take a link out of the chain as it's a bit baggy!
godivatrailrider

Fitted a Selle SMP Trk saddle .... just waiting for the new (to me) cranks to turn up and the drive train is being replaced on the CDF to more MTB ratio's.... hoping that going from Octalink to Hollowtech is ok on a CDF ...
godivatrailrider

godivatrailrider wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:11 pm Fitted a Selle SMP Trk saddle .... just waiting for the new (to me) cranks to turn up and the drive train is being replaced on the CDF to more MTB ratio's.... hoping that going from Octalink to Hollowtech is ok on a CDF ...
... Hollowtech 2 BB mostly fitted ... "Shimano Standards" ... I have a Hollowtech 2 BB spanner ... :-bd the BB-MT800 XT HT2 BB ( that has to be the longest series of 'abbreviations' I've ever written!) is smaller than the standard spanner and requires a special insert to work :sad: now awaiting delivery of this and the crankset
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:37 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:11 pm Fitted a Selle SMP Trk saddle .... just waiting for the new (to me) cranks to turn up and the drive train is being replaced on the CDF to more MTB ratio's.... hoping that going from Octalink to Hollowtech is ok on a CDF ...
... Hollowtech 2 BB mostly fitted ... "Shimano Standards" ... I have a Hollowtech 2 BB spanner ... :-bd the BB-MT800 XT HT2 BB ( that has to be the longest series of 'abbreviations' I've ever written!) is smaller than the standard spanner and requires a special insert to work :sad: now awaiting delivery of this and the crankset
Shimano used to provide one with the BB - I have two....
godivatrailrider

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:12 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:37 pm
Shimano used to provide one with the BB - I have two....
I'll check the box ! I'll be both pleased and gutted if there's one in there :lol: I doubt there is though. I'm still awaiting the cranks ....Evri have had them for 3 days now and still showing as 'We've got them' not 'Out for delivery' FFS
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Evri are having massive issues at the moment due to a shortage of delivery drivers (probably because of the terrible pay and work contracts) - there's a 5 week build up of parcels at some depots. We had three weeks of one parcel just sitting at the depot a few miles away until the day before I was going to try and arrange just driving to the depot it was finally delivered. I don't think their rebranding has helped in any way, instead of Hermes being the worst delivery service it's now Evri.
godivatrailrider

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:36 am Evri are having massive issues at the moment due to a shortage of delivery drivers (probably because of the terrible pay and work contracts) - there's a 5 week build up of parcels at some depots. We had three weeks of one parcel just sitting at the depot a few miles away until the day before I was going to try and arrange just driving to the depot it was finally delivered. I don't think their rebranding has helped in any way, instead of Hermes being the worst delivery service it's now Evri.
Oh deep joy.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Cleaned the mould off the handlebar tape... 🤮
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ton

Post by ton »

converted my fargo from rohloff to 3 x 10. issues using the grip shift forced this, and the need to try the fargo with conventional gearing.
20230119_161715 (1).jpg
20230119_161715 (1).jpg (111.4 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Still looking good Ton :-bd

Not so much 'what you done to your bike today' as what I need to do. Gear cable on the fatbike could do with a lube as it hasn't been touched since 2014 when I built it. Electronic shifting? you can stuff it. Also finally finished the On one inbred throwback and quite looking forward to throwing it down some noodley trails.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I unboxed the new bike - I still need to get the bars and saddle set up and find some pedals. I also need to find some WTB Rangers in 2.6 which allegedly exist. Hopefully I'll get it set up during this week.

ImageNew bike day by Paul Bravey, on Flickr
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

PaulB2 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:48 pm I unboxed the new bike - I still need to get the bars and saddle set up and find some pedals. I also need to find some WTB Rangers in 2.6 which allegedly exist. Hopefully I'll get it set up during this week.

ImageNew bike day by Paul Bravey, on Flickr
Have you been out on it Paul?
Currently asking if PX are planning on an SS build or as a frame only....
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Not yet. I’ve got a ride pencilled in for tomorrow but I’ll have my youngest on a tag along so not a real test.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Stripped off the accessories from my old commuter bike ready for sale. I then got the new bike ready for a jaunt with the kids this afternoon, adjusting all the contact points, fitting pedals, etc. I hit a snag trying to fit the tagalong attachment - it relies on a thick collared plastic shim that slots into a metal collar with a bar which gets bolted to the seatpost. The tag along has a female connector that fits on the bar with a split pin. Going from my old 27.2 post that needed an extra metal shim to get the attachment to work the plastic shim is for a 28.6 post and my new seatpost is 31.6 so the existing shim is way too thick. The planned ride is going to have to wait until I work out the size of the required shim and then find one.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Applying frame protection tape to strategic places of my new gravel bike.
Now hoping to have the opportunity to get out for a spin, at the weekend