SPOT tracker mounting

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

SPOT tracker mounting

Post by sean_iow »

My SPOT doesn't seem to be able to transmit all my tracking points these days and I'm wondering if it's where it's mounted.

I used to have it on my top tube next to the headtube but my new frame has a hose guide there which gets in the way of the strap on the harness I use.
I've made a harness to attach it to a rucksack strap and this works ok but I don't always take a rucksack.
There's not really space on my bars to mount it, there's an eTrex and a light and I like to keep the rest of the bars free for other hand positions (Jones).

So I think I might try to mount the SPOT on top of the seat pack. There used to be a pocket thing (spocket?) but I don't think they make it any more. So, who has their SPOT on the seatpack and how have you attached it? Pictures would be a bonus.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Re: SPOT tracker mounting

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use a Spocket...

Edit: looks like they are in stock at backcountry.scot
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers :-bd The mesh version I presume? I couldn't find them on the Revelate Designs website.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Surely a tracker should be user mounted on the off chance bike and rider become separated during an incident?

Once saw someone with a SPOT mounted on the top of thier helmet, thankfully the inReach isn't so flaky. :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Asposium wrote:Surely a tracker should be user mounted on the off chance bike and rider become separated during an incident?
That's one of the reasons I made the harness to fix it to my rucksack strap, mind you I'm not letting go of my Salsa regardless of what happens so the bike and me won't become separated :lol:

My SPOT used to be more reliable I'm sure. I'll experiment with other locations to see if it makes a difference.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

My Spot came with a strap/karabiner. If I'm using my Alpkit handlebar harness, its luggage straps pass through the Spot strap - Spot sits on top of the handlebar load. Doesn't rattle, and faces the sky. If no pack on handlebar - it's strapped to my arm.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...