Kamoot for navigating

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Kamoot for navigating

Post by robbie »

Anyone used kamoot for navigation of a download3d gps off roaf? Thinking about using it for navigating Italy divide on my phone as sometimes find the garmin a bit hard work. Looks fairly simple to use just not sure of the map detail?
ianfitz

Re: Kamoot for navigating

Post by ianfitz »

Ive used it on and offline (and road) and has been good. I like it!

Has been for short ish rides though. Battery life always an issue with smart phone nav.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I find Komoot and RidewithGPS really good coupled with Wahoo Element head unit in particular, do the route in Komoot and it automatically drops into the Wahoo app on phone and via wi-fi or bluetooth, the route then drops on head unit itself, so a lot easier and clearer for doing routes on the fly especially.

If you're going to just use the phone, can recommend Quad Lock system , it has been the most secure fitting for my iphone on bars of all those i've tried
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I can vouch for exactly the same process with komoot and the garmin 820. Also easy to make changes to route on the fly using your phone and then ping updated route across to head unit (Internet access permitting).
spindicator

Post by spindicator »

I’ve been using Komoot and like it also. Was thinking of getting something like a Beeline with the route loaded on there and only using the phone when directions aren’t clear to save some battery. Will have to experiment!
ton

Post by ton »

komoot on my phone is very good.

also while plotting some routes for norway, komoot give proper bike routes.
ride with gps did not, it choose routes with tunnels which are not bike friendly.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

How do you guys use it?

I have it on my phone but have never used it... yet
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I mainly use it on a pc, mostly for road, admittedly. There are quite a few mapping overlays, including cycle osm, and the routes I've plotted have been very accurate, including Spain and France. It gives you several routing options, from mtb to fast road riding, and picks the optimal route accordingly. Having tweaked it, I save it to my profile, then open it from the komoot applet on my garmin.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about using it just off my phone. I will hook it up to my dyno so battery shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I have the Garmin 810 and an etrex so none comparable with it.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Assuming you've got a pc, I'm pretty sure you can generate and export a gpx file to your 810 and possibly the etrex using a USB cable.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have been using it since it first came out and think it is great. I use it on both iOS and Android, not real difference. Last year I used it as my primary Mac on both the Yd200 and BB200, now both Garmin’s are the backup devices.

It’s really worth buying the worldwide maps as they were on a special offer and are very good, OS like quality.

This was planned on their website and then downloaded and navigated on Android, with the Hampshire map set.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/58936663?ref=itd
robbie

Post by robbie »

So bought the worldwide function.
Downloaded my maps for italy and it has weirdly made some of them like a round trip but with the return in a straight line. Have tried to adjust the end point on the phone with the app but it automatically changes the route.
Tried it on the pc to alter the straight part and it just gives me a failure notice.
So not great. Have tried their support ticket twice now with no response.
Weird thing is when loaded into garmin connect it dosnt do the return so must be a bug with kamoot? Anyone else had issues?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Sorry no issues it’s always worked fine for me.