good snow cover in the Cairngorms

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gari

good snow cover in the Cairngorms

Post by Gari »

For those that aren't local, there is good snow cover in the cairngorms, on the west side at least. I have chatted to a few friends that have been out ski touring already, the snow being down to around 700mtrs for decent coverage. I am stuck in Braemar at the moment and the cover is not as good here, the snow line being around 900mtrs but the cover higher looks a little thinner. I haven't been out yet as my ski gear is over the other side in Aviemore!! typical.
I went into Loch Callater for a loaded night ride on Thurs, this was what the snow looked like then.

I am going home during the week, mainly to go see the screening of Reveal the Path at the Lodge, but also to get some ski touring in. I am also going to pick up my new fat bike frame, rims and tyres. most of the rest I have in my spares box, just need to decide whether to get a Phil wood BB and use my RS7s, or buy a Mr Whirly and use a Ext BB I have here. Hopefully I will be going for the new year break!
I shall post a few more pics when I get out here and over there.

Get 'em ready fat folks :D

Gari
pedalhead

Re: good snow cover in the Cairngorms

Post by pedalhead »

I wish I lived in Scotland :cry:
Gari

Post by Gari »

Where in Oxfordshire are you mark? I moved to Scotland from down that way. I worked there for about 9 months when I came back to the UK.
Gari
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

I'm pretty much on the Oxon/Glocs border, in between Witney and Burford. I also spend quite a bit of time in & around Watlington as my Mum lives over there. Whereabouts were you?
Gari

Post by Gari »

I was in Moreton in Marsh, I managed a 7-11 store for a few months. Hated it really, the job more than the place, though it was a bit flat for me to be honest.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Ah yes that's not far from me, a lot of my road rides go through Moreton. Flat...yeah, the Cotswolds make for a pleasant road ride but I tend to head over to Wales for "proper" hills when I can. Still not exactly the Cairngorms though :-). Sadly, my wife would have none of it if I wanted to move.