Non 'bikey' biking shirts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jamesh

Non 'bikey' biking shirts

Post by Jamesh »

Just looking for some more multi functioning bike clothing for longer trips, focusing on tops. Have a good selection base layers and waterproof bits, but looking for something along the lines of a long sleeve shirt to wear on/off bike. Do folk use hiking/trekking shirts to any great effect and have any recommendations?
I've seen the Kitsbow icon shirt raved about in the US and then saw the price..

In fact any recommendations for brands with a multi functioning casual style to take a look at would be greatly appreciated
Al

Re: Non 'bikey' biking shirts

Post by Al »

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got similar shirts made by Colombia and Mountain Hardwear. I've also got one I bought in Mountain Warehouse which was much cheaper. Some of them are short sleeved but can't remember which. I've worn them on the bike but only on social rides to the pub but they are sold as 'technical' shirts so should be suitable for longer trips.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

When wearing shirts beware nipple rash. I've had to stop and acquire plasters to put over bleeding nipples with a couple of hours of setting off, you've been warned.

That said, I've done a lot of riding the last couple of years wearing Outdoor Research Astroman shirts. They're not cheap but then neither are cycling jerseys. They're made from a stretchy material, are super lightweight and really comfy to ride in. I use them as casual shirts in the summer too. They'll take any amount of washing and don't need ironing to look smart. The only UK place that seems to have them in stock is ultralightoutdoorgear and they seem limited to small only at the moment.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... h-astroman

I'm not a fan of long sleeve shirts, I much prefer short sleeves with arm warmers. I've seen far too many people start off a ride wearing a long sleeve jersey then sweat their nuts/tits off later on when it warms up.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I have a Shimano Transit LS shirt, a checked shirt that's cut for cycling. Polyester, vented, RF details, a really nice top and worth looking up. I'd wear it for cycling more often but it's a bit cliched and only good for fairly warm weather, other tops function better in mixed weather. Would be great for an on-off bike trip, eg taking my Brompton on a work trip to see the city, etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I bought some short sleeved bamboo shirts a couple of years ago. Sadly, can't remember where I got them but they were good quality and heavily discounted - less than £3 each I recall.

Yes they're checked. Yes I look like a reject from Broke Back Mountain :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Loki

Post by Loki »

I picked up some cheap ones from Decathlon, their own brand, comfy and fast drying too.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Not a shirt as such, but for cooler weather (as in overcast British spring), I find that Rab Vapour Rise Lite jackets are really good "all in one" base & mid layers. Especially the ones with pit zips.

Super comfy to wear, warm if you zip everything up, surprisingly good at temperature management if you unzip the chest and pit zips and roll the sleeves up. I have done many a multi-day trip in mine. Its also my go-to jacket for trail running outside summer. In my opinion, it looks fine in a pub, and doesn't tend to smell that much.

I have an older one called a Vapour Rise Tour. I think the new one is called the Alpine?