Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Landslide

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by Landslide » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:28 am

As we all know, having equipment you can rely on is very important when heading out for not the wilds. That's why I headed out for a first ride on a new wheelset (self-built, and set up tubeless that very afternoon (and which had deflated itself about 5 minutes before I left the house)), and my summer quilt (in the spirit of finding out how cold it needed to be before I dig out the warmer and bulkier sleeping bag).

Things started well, when I discovered nice beers reduced to clear at the local bottle shop, and this rich vein of form continued with wheels remaining true and inflated, and my bivvy spot being flat and sheltered. I'm even getting a bit better at pitching my tarp...

Things then steadily took a turn for the worse, as it became increasingly clear that my threshold for a light summer quilt had been well and truly passed. Cue a certain degree of running around at 2am to warm up and find any remaining clothing I could throw on. All somewhat offset by the clear skies giving me a lovely view of the stars.

Having reached the morning without turning into an ice cube, normal service was resumed, with a pot of porridge and a cup of coffee.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3PL98LljKp/

Google reckoned the direct route would mean I'd get to the bakery 10 minutes before it opened, so I took the messing about in the woods route instead, and got there 10 minutes after. Turning up back home with a range of fresh pastries always keeps the family happy when I've deserted them for the night! :grin:

2019 BAM 10/10
2019 total bivvies 12
Current streak (months) 11

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:18 pm

10/10 34 in a row :-bd

34 mile/ 4200 ft bimble over Long mynd and stiperstones in the rain. At the start of a detour down a muddy byway I asked myself ‘how bad can it be/ how much grip do mezcal’s have in deep mud. The answers turn out to be very and very little :lol:
Apart from the lethally slippery rocks up stiperstones the other obstacle to forwards progress were the huge numbers of hikers doing the long mynd walk, 54 miles of very up and downy trudging, they kept passing our bivy spot all night, surprisingly jolly in the pouring rain.
Fish and chips in Church Stretton then several pints of sports hydration butty with Scott in the ragleth, slightly over hydrated we couldn’t be arsed to climb the mynd so bivvied lower down, damp night followed by breakfast in church Stretton :-bd

We're all individuals...except me

“Y’all, think on
While you’re capturing the zeitgeist
They’re widening the motorway”-HMHB

crewlie

Post by crewlie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 pm

Another last minute September entry. I'd like to claim that I followed Reg's advice above and left it until the last day to make the challenge more interesting, but it's really just down to procrastination and bad planning.
Anyway a quick trip up into the forestry to a little spot I've used before. A pretty wet and windy night not helped by the stitching on one of the corner ties failing which led to me being woken up by being slapped around the face by a soggy tent wall. Better I suppose on a short, close to home trip than something further away.
Otherwise an uneventful night and the tent's now repaired ready for October.
9/9

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:54 pm

crewlie wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 pm
A pretty wet and windy night not helped by the stitching on one of the corner ties failing which led to me being woken up by being slapped around the face by a soggy tent wall.
By coincidence I had a marketing email for these today

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... clips-p447

As well as adding extra guys they can be used to replace a missing/damaged guy. I'm quite tempted to get some for longer trips as the weight penalty is small.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now

RIP

Post by RIP » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Yeah they're good those. Bought a few for adding extra "mid" ties on a DD Superlight tarp that I bought ages ago. You'd think they'd scrunch up the material but didn't seem to noticeably.
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:50 pm

RIP wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm
Yeah they're good those. Bought a few for adding extra "mid" ties on a DD Superlight tarp that I bought ages ago. You'd think they'd scrunch up the material but didn't seem to noticeably.
With a recommendation like that I'll order some next week. I'll wait until after the BB300 in case I go off cycling :lol:
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now

RIP

Post by RIP » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Only thing is it took me a while to suss out how to install them 'cos I'm a bit fick like that sometimes/oftentimes :smile: . Man of your fabricating abilities will have them down in 2 seconds though :-bd .
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm

RIP wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:59 pm
Only thing is it took me a while to suss out how to install them 'cos I'm a bit fick like that sometimes/oftentimes :smile: . Man of your fabricating abilities will have them down in 2 seconds though :-bd .
There was a video of how it's done linked from the email I had which showed how to put them on :smile:

psling

Post by psling » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:06 am

They're certainly tidier than scrunching a small stone into the tarp and wrapping a line around it :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.

javatime

Post by javatime » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:16 am

October done 9/9 - I started in February
Patchway train on Friday lunchtime. Bikes on trains ?? …I thought I had it dialled by now as the 12.38 is usually a small thing, 3 carriages and with no booking and Patchway is a very quiet station (no competition !). So I got a bit confused when a HST rolled in (cycle reservations mandatory?) but luckily no problems, helpful staff and a whole 6 bike cycle compartment (empty)

Pie and a pint and a mug of tea in the Butchers Arms, Yatton, catching up with a chum, then onto the Strawberry Line to Churchill. Fire roads up through Rowberrow into the Mendip clouds and then joined the Wessex Way MTB route at Black Down. At some point the sand turned into deep peat, I was off, then down a byeway/river until joining the roads into Priddy. Found a nice spot just beyond with a water trough where you could fill straight from the ball valve !

Followed the droves, then down towards Wells, where the descent of New Cut was sporting on the Escapade.

Very pleased to find the street market in Wells city square (also where Hot Fuzz was filmed). Good coffee, savouries and those Portuguese custard tarts. Also found a coin operated milk machine in Horrington.

I took a route from the excellent cycle.travel website from Wells to Bath, all a bit unknown but quiet and picked up bits of Sustrans Routes around Radstock / Wellow to the 2 Tunnels and Bristol / Bath Path (it was the 40th Anniversary of the B-B Path with free beer on the Bitton station platform), so almost traffic free all the way home to Bristol.

Cycled back to my front door (if not from it )

RIP

Post by RIP » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:42 pm

'free beer' - one of the more successful Oct BaM's :-bd

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:15 pm

October

metalhearts 12-in-a-row so he chose timing and venue (just getting that in early).

Pizza at the Woodshed then up to Bynack Stable (long since gone) for a spot he'shad his eye on for a while. Lovely ride up, clouds flitting across the almost-full moon. Loads of space for pitching tents. It got pretty cold though so we soon retired to sleep. I started with both side of the tent open but had to close first one, then the other as the moon was just so bloody bright. Overnight condensation chilled onto the tents and bike. I had a relaxed cup of coffee in my tent after heating the meths up in my armpits (still in it's bottle ya eeejit). Very cold packing up with frozen fingers trying to pack the tent away. Rode back to Aviemore for breakfast and my fingers had just warmed up by the time we stopped.

ImageDSC_0761 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060116 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060121 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0763 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060122 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060123 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

10/10 for 2019. 35 consecutive months. 60/70.

metalheart

Post by metalheart » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:54 pm

As per^

10/10, 12 in a row.

My foot has been acting up (tendonitis or something). It's limited me the last couple months so with my 12th consecutive BaM we were supposed to do the Loch Ness 360. But, my foot...

So Aviemore depart to Bynack Stables it was with food (and a couple beers) at the Woodshed.

People just plain lied to me and it being 16 deg C in Dingwall early afternoon I thought it was the end of summer... Oh boy.

The moon was sooo bright and it was clear and it got really cold. My sleeping bag says comfort at 5, the lunar solo was iced in the am. Fortunately I had had the sense to chuck in my R1 hoodie so I didn't freeze to death.

But i was sporting my summer gloves... By the time we hit Aviemore I thought somebody must have borrowed my hands and bad used them before giving them back. I was ready to start screaming when we stopped, and one the pain subsided a bit I had to sit down or else I was going to be sick...

Breakfast at the highland line was decent enough though.

Thanks to Colin who has encouraged, cajoled and accompanied me on 3/4ers of these 12. Its appreciated.

Give the dirt a little room.

RIP

Post by RIP » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:31 pm

'Live BaM'....

Got off train at Cromford...

First choice.. graveyard.... security lighting!

Next.. riverside picnic site... too slopey...

Of course! How could we forget the old faithful... yes.... toilet block!! Sorted. Full moon too. Owls. Spooky.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:33 am

Put me down for BAM October please Zippy... Actually managed to do 2 this month but I suppose its the Bearbones200 that should count... Slept under a Caterpillar from 0200 til about 0500... No mat so it was interesting trying to not get cold :-bd

The other BAM which I should mention was enroute to Bristol (didn't manage to make it) and slept under 2 trees 7 miles apart... Main highlight of that ride was the tiny slug trying to kiss me early hours (0400) of the morn :o

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:02 am

redefined_cycles wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:33 am

The other BAM which I should mention was enroute to Bristol (didn't manage to make it) and slept under 2 trees 7 miles apart
That's some size of hammock you have.

RIP

Post by RIP » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:40 am

:lol:
Last edited by RIP on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:06 am

ScotRoutes wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:02 am
redefined_cycles wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:33 am

The other BAM which I should mention was enroute to Bristol (didn't manage to make it) and slept under 2 trees 7 miles apart
That's some size of hammock you have.
:lol: now i should elaborate... so, it was on last weekend and i departed at 1400 on Saturday. ... The sleep monsters hit me at midnight so, waterproofs on (it'd been raining since 1900ish), I took shelter here (wasn't very sheltered)...

It was somewhat a tight squeeze but I was that naffed I didn't even need to pull out my bivy to get some zzz... managed 1.5H and I waa off. Wondering to myself whether I'd fulfilled the BAM criteria.

Didn't need to think for long cos after 7 miserably wet miles I started snoozing into the verge again so chose this here lovely motel...

Lets call it Hotel Ditchia. This pic taken after my snooze of 2 hours inside my bivvy bag. Criteria fulfilled completely and rejuvenated and raring to go, I packed my bag (which wasn't hard) and now my appointment with misery started.

I only needed to get through the next few hours (it was 4am) but a message from the missus,

'I think you're daft to do this',

and another from my mate, with this screenshot and the message,

'go that way so I can pick you up'Image

meant a scratch was imminent. He was also heading to Bristol and at about 0730 he kindly picked me up from Nuneaton :-bd

It was a wet and miserable ride so a perfect 'last ride' before this weekends conundrum (not sure if I used that word correct... but who cares) and paved the way nicely...

:-bd