Son female spade connectors

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Son female spade connectors

Post by Mike »

As in the title but does anyone know what size I need as I have to buy some more thanks... they look like 4mm ish but I'm not sure if how they size them ta
sean_iow

Re: Son female spade connectors

Post by sean_iow »

I think they are 4.8mm spade connectors which is a standard size. I had some from a previous car project so they must be a standard part.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cheers Sean I'll pop down Halfords n see if I can get some :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, solder 'em, don't just crimp them :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Can get you handful from work mate if you can wait till I'm back in
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Aye, solder 'em, don't just crimp them :wink:
I've always been led to believe that connectors shouldn't be soldered. Apparently the solder wicks up the wire and then can lead to failures. I was told this by a friend who used to work on the wiring for military helicopters and fighter jets, GKN have factory on the Island. The connectors they used were only crimped. They were also a lot higher quality than the ones from Halfords :lol:

The connectors on the SON dynamo are the only part of the design I'd change. I prefer the Shimano/SP system where the connector can be put on without any special tools. I also found it easier to connect up as I find attaching the two individual connectors tricky when putting the wheel in.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've always been led to believe that connectors shouldn't be soldered. Apparently the solder wicks up the wire and then can lead to failures. I was told this by a friend who used to work on the wiring for military helicopters and fighter jets, GKN have factory on the Island. The connectors they used were only crimped.
I'll bear that in mind next time I'm wiring up a gunship :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In my defence, I'm quite ocd about these things but I have to be, I'm not sure the helicopters they make would survive a lap of a typical BB200 :wink:
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Hi,

I’ve bought a load of the SON specific spade connectors for my SON 28 dynamo hub. If you can wait a few days I could post a few to you. I also have some of the double connectors. These allow you to connect a light and then a USB charger to the same connector on the hub connector.

Let me know and I’ll send you some of both, free of course.
jameso

Post by jameso »

sean_iow wrote:I've always been led to believe that connectors shouldn't be soldered. Apparently the solder wicks up the wire and then can lead to failures.

The connectors on the SON dynamo are the only part of the design I'd change. I prefer the Shimano/SP system where the connector can be put on without any special tools. I also found it easier to connect up as I find attaching the two individual connectors tricky when putting the wheel in.
That makes sense - on our ride from Nice to Turin I got plunged into darkness, turns out the wire going into the earth loop for the rear light had failed. It had broken no more than 5mm away from the crimp. Could have been flex fatigue but it puzzled me as there's so little movement there, though I doubt my solder skills are such that the solder would flow that far w/o me melting the sheathing first!

Agreed on the Shimano system, easy to use and carry a spare.
middleagedmadness

Don't know about helicopters but I had that many slaps around the head as a kid for using crimp connectors that I always solder everything and make sure it's the good heat shrink with the glue inside over the top not the cheap stuff that melts at the first sign of heat
RIP

Post by RIP »

Possibly OT, but being Reg I'll burble on anyway even though it's not Friday. Am fiddling about with a system at the moment (*) which has a 300V/600A circuit, and other circuits at 110V of various amperages. Had a melted lug near a 125A fuse and couldn't work out what was going on. Bought a couple of toys - a 400A clamp meter and an infrared heat detector thing which helped to sort the problem. The heat detector was only a few quid, but the problem now is I can't put it down! Everything's fair game - stuff in the fridge, radiators, even Mrs Perrin who gamely (and most uncharacteristically) entered into the spirit of the thing. It was quite entertaining pointing the thing at various parts of her person.

(*) not this precise moment. If I was, I certainly wouldn't be getting distracted by typing rubbish on Here! Those numbers have the potential (ho ho) to cause an amusing, albeit very short, firework display.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

RIP wrote:Possibly OT, but being Reg I'll burble on anyway even though it's not Friday. Am fiddling about with a system at the moment (*) which has a 300V/600A circuit, and other circuits at 110V of various amperages. Had a melted lug near a 125A fuse and couldn't work out what was going on. Bought a couple of toys - a 400A clamp meter and an infrared heat detector thing which helped to sort the problem. The heat detector was only a few quid, but the problem now is I can't put it down! Everything's fair game - stuff in the fridge, radiators, even Mrs Perrin who gamely (and most uncharacteristically) entered into the spirit of the thing. It was quite entertaining pointing the thing at various parts of her person.

(*) not this precise moment. If I was, I certainly wouldn't be getting distracted by anything else! Those numbers have the potential (ho ho) to cause an amusing, and very short, firework display.
Playing with your train again reg
RIP

Post by RIP »

that's not a euphemism :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've had a look - it says f*ck all.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

:lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I've had a look - it says f*ck all.

They're made by Boeing so American, you'd need a Westlands Lynx manual to see how it's meant to be done :lol:
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

slarge

Post by slarge »

Soldering is bad for wire as it makes it brittle. Hence not good for aircraft or cars etc, but the brittleness can take years to have an effect.

Crimping is how connector terminals are designed if you use the correct crimping tool, but this is no good for home use when you use pliers.

So, best option for bikes is crimp and solder, then use heatshrink as a way of strain relieving the joint / wire. Then recrimp and solder when the wire eventually fractures, and maybe make the connection repairable in the field (a hole in the spade that the wire can be poked through and wrapped round)

Bearing in mind Mike that you will snap the wire when you drop the front wheel out after forgetting to undo the spade connector...... :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For those who don't want to solder, heat sealable connectors are probably the way forward :wink: Always had good results with those from Wurth as they have a glue inside that bonds to the wire to the connector.