O/T Trials bike curious.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pushbikemike

O/T Trials bike curious.

Post by pushbikemike »

A good few years back I was bikepacking curious and ended up with a Stooge and a Vagabond. A couple of years ago I was fat bike curious and now I'm on my second fatbike frame. Surly Wednesday.
But time for long rides isn't always easy and I've found myself somewhat Trials bike curious. I built up an old On One 456 frame with rigid forks and have hopped and jumped around a bit. Takes me back to my BMX days from 30+ years ago. Still miss my Bob Haro frame. But the Stooge does look similar.
Anybody on here tried trials /street trials? Got any advice. Got one they would like to swap/sell for the trials curious.
fatbikephil

Re: O/T Trials bike curious.

Post by fatbikephil »

Always fancied one but never plucked up the courage! Spent many hours mucking around various steps and street furniture in Edinburgh in my younger days but always just on whatever bike I was riding at the time....

Bound to be a good way of improving skill and strength, plus after a bit of practice you will be able to hop over gates and fences like Chris Akrigg!
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Akrigg is incredible. That would take some doing on my part.
Used to ride my bmx around edinburgh many years ago.
The mucking about on the 456 has reaped some benefits already when out on the trails.
Also, I've been having fun on a bike. Wheelies are getting easier again and even managed some decent bunny hops and manuals.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I never had a proper go at it although I often use basic trial techniques in the terrain I enjoy riding most.
Trial bikes are extremely specific bikes. Probably the most specific bike I ever sat on, despite having ridden thoroughbred DH race bikes.

My next bike will have a chunky bash guard on ISCG tabs and ssp but a long front centre and flat head angle, so definately more trail biking than trial biking.
Yet, if I get the hang to do more hopping around on that bike, it'll transfer easy into my other trail bikes.

Perhaps that's worth considering..?
htrider wrote:Always fancied one but never plucked up the courage! Spent many hours mucking around various steps and street furniture in Edinburgh in my younger days but always just on whatever bike I was riding at the time....

Bound to be a good way of improving skill and strength, plus after a bit of practice you will be able to hop over gates and fences like Chris Akrigg!
Brings back some memories of street riding with DH bikes, droping high stuff to flat, jumping stairs and cracking parts and bones. People in the village would put pots out and span wires to keep us from jumping about. *Needs to go home and look through some old photos*
Never go to ride like Akrigg though. I really admire his riding :-bd
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Alpinum wrote: My next bike will have a chunky bash guard on ISCG tabs and ssp but a long front centre and flat head angle, so definately more trail biking than trial biking.
Yet, if I get the hang to do more hopping around on that bike, it'll transfer easy into my other trail bikes.

Perhaps that's worth considering..?
Yes that is worth considering. Trials bikes do look very specific. The high bottom brackets for instance.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yes, I do.

Currently on my third bike - 1st street one. Not really gelled with it, may sell to go back to a 26 comp.

It's fun, a great way to get your skills up, and a easy way to get some quick bike time if you're time stuck.