Seat pack comparisons

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobertH

Seat pack comparisons

Post by RobertH »

Hello everyone. I've just entered Élan back and I'm now trying to figure out how to transform my summer kit into something suitable for the depths of winter. I think I need to get myself a seat bag. I've narrowed down to either the Wildcat Tiger or one of the Bikepack.eu ones. I'm struggling to choose between the two. Does anyone have an opinion on which of the two would be better?
boreham

Re: Seat pack comparisons

Post by boreham »

Hi, the two systems, whilst visibly similar do offer slightly different functions.
The wildcat version does fit better and is more stable due to the 'sticky' substrate used on the seatpost strap, the only downside for winter use is the pack only takes a maximum of an 8ltr drybag, not necessary a downside but needs to be considered. All round quality is superb with ell designed fittings and fabrics.

The bike pack option does offer a large sizing which consists of an integral 12 ltr drybag, my only criticism is when heavily loaded does 'swing' a bit, however if you utilise the pack for lighter weight items you can overcome this, there are tensioning straps which can reduce this as well, a quality made item with taped seams and fittings with better capacity for winter riding.
I have both items so the above is just my opinion of the packs in use.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I had a Bikepack.eu seat pack and was initially very impressed - its well made and carried loads. After a few trips though I began to realise how much it was moving about. I then bought a Wildcat bag - it is very good - very stable and I don't think the 8l limit is that big an issue if you have a decent bar bag.
I would go for the wildcat pack
gairym

Post by gairym »

i can't compare as i only have a wildcat one but it works brilliantly for me :D
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Thank you for the replies, it's really helpful to hear from people with experience of both. There seems to be a consensus developing.

I had the impression that the wildcat was designed for 8 litres but you could force a bigger bag in there. It sounds as though that's not the case? I think I'll have to measure up how much space my stuff takes up.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If space is your main desire then I'd get the bikepack one. The wildcat is smaller and a jammed full 10l stuffsac, IMO, is a struggle.

Of course there might be other options. What frame bag and/or bar bag have you got?
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

I have two 8 litre dry bags, one strapped to the bars and one on the frame using a salsa cage. Getting a proper frame bag is the next purchase but I'm toying with the idea of getting a new frame so I'm holding fire until I've decided about the frame. For summer trips I have a 5 litre dry bag strapped onto the seat. If I used a 13 litre dry bag on the bars do you think 8 litre on the seat would be enough?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I used a 13 litre dry bag on the bars do you think 8 litre on the seat would be enough?
I think it really depends what you need to carry. In summer I can fit my bag, jacket and bivvy bag in an 8l dry bag (just), In winter I'd be lucky to get my sleeping bag in.

I tend to put the same items on the back of the bike all year round (shelter stuff, tarp, groundsheet, pegs, etc) and just alter the size of the front drybag for different seasons. I also find it's the smaller items that are harder to find homes for and often result in the need to find extra carrying capacity ... this could just be me and my scatter brain though ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

What Stu said, it all depends how much you "prefer" to carry but I'd definitely get a 13l for the bars in winter.

I think some of the issues folks report with the BP seatpack moving is when it's stuffed to the gunnels. Fill it with the same amount of stuff as a WC+8l stuff sack and I think they're generally about the same in terms of stability. Check out Pavel's website for photos of the seatpack rolled up to about 8l.

Comparing a stuffed BP with a WC doesn't seem fair because there's a 4l difference in the amount of gear each one is holding. Personally I'd get the BP. It'll be "as good" as the WC at 8l but it'll also be able to carry more gear before you run out of space and have to start thinking of buying a revelate tangle bag or some other frame bag.

None of that is a crticism of the WC. I think mine's great but if you're really looking to increasing gear carrying ability without spending a lot then the BP is a good choice.

As always, opinions are like aXXholes, fair degree of subjectivity, your views might vary, HYOH etc etc 8-)
Chew

Post by Chew »