Cup and cone bearings

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Cup and cone bearings

Post by middleagedmadness »

Got the above deore hub on the front of my longitude , haven't regreassed them in the past year done about 3000 miles on it,how often do you guys regrease ,there's no play or noise but as it's forecast lashings of water tomorrow was thinking it's time to service the bike before winter
redefined_cycles

Re: Cup and cone bearings

Post by redefined_cycles »

Always clean and regrease cup/cone before they need/show signs of wear. The cones will thank you for kt and shoukd last a very long time. Thats what cup/cone is famous for in longevity. So long as you service before becoming worn... once per year or more often if excess mileage sounds reasonable
middleagedmadness

Cheers , to be fair I meant to give them a regrease after the snows and sludge last winter but forgot all about it once the good weather came ,looks like I've got a little job on tomorrow
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i tend to do this sort of service when the clocks move as it acts a as reminder

Bearings, fork oil etc a those annoying jobs that must be done that you forget because nothing is broken- then again there are 10 bikes in the house, not all mine, so I need some incentive to lose a weekend to this
slarge

Post by slarge »

Just don't leave it. Some evidence here of bearings that have bound and caused a "ripple" on the cone. New cones and bearings required.....
middleagedmadness

slarge wrote:Just don't leave it. Some evidence here of bearings that have bound and caused a "ripple" on the cone. New cones and bearings required.....
Doing it tomorrow mate , hate packing bearings ,I know it's not like the truck bearings at work but I have a apprentice to do that for me :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Usually annually.

However, I recently stripped the XTR hubs on my Amazon and they were still well greased and true.... despite not having dione them for 5 years. TBF the higher spec hubs do have better sealing than the Deores. The XT on my Fatbike gets done just before winter each year and it sees plenty of abuse in sand, salt water, ice, gritted paths etc. The hub is now 6 years old. When selecting components for a new wheel build I recently opted for XT-8000 hubs (dynamo front).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A wee mod I do with shimano hubs is to drill a 2mm hole in the hub body with a countersink taper. You then aquire a pointed tip grease gun (Pace used to sell them but they were re-branded falco ones which are available off fleabay etc) and can pump grease through the bearings at your leisure.
middleagedmadness

htrider wrote:A wee mod I do with shimano hubs is to drill a 2mm hole in the hub body with a countersink taper. You then aquire a pointed tip grease gun (Pace used to sell them but they were re-branded falco ones which are available off fleabay etc) and can pump grease through the bearings at your leisure.
Got a picture please mate , before you posted I'd had a idea of drilling ,tapping and putting a grease nipple in the hub but I think a 6 mm hole may put to much stress on the hub body
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I put a section of inner tube over the hub body to cover the hole and stop grease oozing out

I meant Dualco, not falco - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualco-Mini-Gr ... 6V2C0C9B8X
Looks like park do one too.

You'd probably be alright with a grease nipple but I'd be inclined to use an M5 one rather than an M6
middleagedmadness

[quote="htrider"]Image
I put a section of inner tube over the hub body to cover the hole and stop grease oozing out

I meant Dualco, not falco - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualco-Mini-Gr ... 6V2C0C9B8X
Looks like park do one too.

You'd probably be alright with a grease nipple but I'd be inclined to use an M5 one rather than an M6[/quote
Just popped into work and found some 3mm ones in the fork truck parts so I may give that a try on a wheel ive got sitting in the garage if it goes t1ts a new hub ain't that much
Cheers ht