Penny farthing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Penny farthing

Post by Alpinum »

Try something new (old).

I've always liked the thought I shoul've been born 100 years ago. Hardly any tarmac, more unchartered terrain, glaciers much larger than today, proper winters and dangerous bicycles.

I'm eager to try one and travel back in time. Has anyone got some experience with one?

How stupid is it to own and ride a bike just because it's different?

Can I get around on one here, in the hilly Emmental?

Do I need to grow a mustache and wear a bowler?

Thanks for any help in advance.

My name is Gian, I'm a bicycle addict.
ianfitz

Re: Penny farthing

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve had a try of if small wheel model replica. The guy who owned it also had a proper big wheel one. But it was really very old and had been painstakingly restored so no one else was allowed to ride it. Fair enough I suppose.

Stupid to own? No. Practical? I think you already know the answer there Gian :lol:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I was offered a go on one a few years ago but having watched a mate wobble his way around a park on one with a few people either side in case he fell I declined. It's a very long way to fall.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I have had a go on one at Maindy Velodrome* back in the 80's, on the banked concrete track. It certainly entertaining and a technique to master. My most abiding memory was respect to those who used to race these machines, back-in-the.day.

Would I ride one in the UK now away from the track, on the road... hell no. If the cars don't get you the chavs will...

*velodrome is the correct name, but somehow does not quite fit ... wonder what the Welsh word is for it?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ianfitz wrote:Stupid to own? No. Practical? I think you already know the answer there Gian :lol:
Cheers Ian. I guess I could get some shopping done with it :wink:
Pirahna wrote:It's a very long way to fall.
Indeed. Those crashes (youtube) look nasty...
NorwayCalling wrote:My most abiding memory was respect to those who used to race these machines, back-in-the.day.
That's probably what got it started. Not that I would want to race one. Good to know you got to ride one without crashing. It doesn't necessarily seem a must.
NorwayCalling wrote:Would I ride one in the UK now away from the track, on the road... hell no. If the cars don't get you the chavs will...
I'd take it off-road. I have a fullface helmet and pads :wink:
Where I live it's easy to stay away from main roads and the backroads hardly have any traffic.

Chavs, nah, don't have them in the Emmental.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

After a bit more thought, I used to see a bloke commuting on one in London in the early 90's, a quick Google suggests he's not the only Londoner riding one. Then there's this bloke https://www.pennyfarthingworldtour.com/
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

A chap in out club called Richard Thoday (on facebook) would be good to talk to. He toured in the alps early this year ticking a few cols on his Penny. He also won the London Nocturne last week and did some pacing for the hour record. He is always out in the Peak riding his Penny including ITT's.
Ian

Post by Ian »

As a slight aside - did anyone see/ hear that Mark Beaumont attempted to break the penny farthing hour world record. A record that has stood for 130 years. He missed it by 200 metres.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ian wrote:As a slight aside - did anyone see/ hear that Mark Beaumont attempted to break the penny farthing hour world record. A record that has stood for 130 years. He missed it by 200 metres.
I saw that, didn't he beat the British record but missed out on the world record?

In that pic above I love those bars, are the loops that stick up to allow your thighs to come up that high at the top of the pedal stroke?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Ian

Post by Ian »

I saw the bars too. I think he's just turned the bars/wheel around to reverse the rake on the fork, making it more stable for descending?
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Hi Gian,

I tried one once a few years ago at an Islabikes (kids bikes) day in the Welsh Borders. There was a chap there from the Veteran Bicycle club with a big one (oh err misses!) and I asked him some questions about it to which he said 2come on, you know you just want a go". So I did.... may me laugh and smile like a kid - it's not often as an adult that you get to try something very new that pushes you out of your comfort zone.

The forks on the one I tried flexed like hell so you only felt loosely connected to the front wheel, there was a real technique to scooting it along then hoping up the back steps and settling into the saddle BUT not putting your feet onto the pedals ("don't do that as you can 'lock' the front wheel and go OTB"). Once settled into the saddle you then find the pedals and begin soft peddling until you are ready to add some power ("gently").

The bars on the one I rode were curved to allow you to pedal, your hands are down around your hips almost..... if you hit something and go OTB you will not get your legs around the bars so effectively fall from height onto both your wrists ("likely breaking both wrists, a common injury when riding/racing") or your face ("your choice, wrists are best"). The HSE briefing I got was a good intro to what can go wrong :grin:

My first dismount was a bit of a trial as you need about the right speed to be able to maintain balance and swing your legs back to find the top step, then descend the steps to hop off.....

It was a great giggle and I can see why they might be so addictive...... get a new one or a second hand one (one I rode was well looked after but around 100 years old I think). Totally impractical to carry about etc. but that I guess is not the point.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Nice descending style there. The upward bend in the bar is indeed to give thigh clearance, and you can just make out a rim brake of some sort in front of the fork, and his right hand most certainly pulling on a very modern looking brake lever.

Never ridden a full-size one, always wanted to. Had some modern half-sized ones at work for a while some time ago - great fun.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Pirahna wrote:Then there's this bloke https://www.pennyfarthingworldtour.com/
Came across him (var. publications, not personally) on his round the world trip - great stuff. But then his time line...

"2005 (April) : Just starting to get fit again then took a splendid header off my Penny. A fractured knee and elbow was the outcome
[...]
2006 (March) : Out on a test ride when the hub lamp fell off and jammed in the wheel, result a splendid header, and a broken arm and wrist.
[...]
2012 Take a splendid header when I catch my foot in the wheel while racing Rob Hales at Hearn Hill for a TV show. Two broken elbows.
[...]
2013 Winter. Race in the winter Nocturne and crash out while in 2nd place. Broken elbow."
This from Richard Thoday:
“In their heyday, a lot of people died riding these.” says Thoday with a chuckle. “The bike which followed on was called a safety bicycle for a reason. You have to take them seriously. You can injure yourself quite badly.”

I've already damaged a fair amount of my body (in a way that I feel it every day in multiple spots) and reading this puts me off a bit. Perhaps it would be a good Moment to learn kung fu skills (landing skills)...
PaulB wrote:A chap in out club called Richard Thoday (on facebook) would be good to talk to. He toured in the alps early this year ticking a few cols on his Penny. He also won the London Nocturne last week and did some pacing for the hour record. He is always out in the Peak riding his Penny including ITT's.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/ ... hings.html
Good stuff. Great to get assurance, that folks ride them in the hilly parts of England and the Alps
Thanks.
Ian wrote:I saw the bars too. I think he's just turned the bars/wheel around to reverse the rake on the fork, making it more stable for descending?
As stated before, bends in bars for more room. But the rake on the fork is indeed an interesting part.
The Unicycle Penny Farthing has an adjustable forkfor the rear wheel, so you can basically adjust rake/HA etc.
That's something I quite like about the Unicycle penny and makes it less likely for me to look for old, used ones.

The way the solid tyres are mounted also scares the living dead out of me. I'd like to know how much it takes to pop one of those black worms off the rim, but then that's exactly not what I want to try. Probably nothing actually to be afraid of when riding within reason. Haha...
99percentchimp wrote:Totally impractical to carry about etc. but that I guess is not the point.
Well actually it is a bit. I use lots of public transport with my biking (getting to/home from) and I guess it'd be a little challenge for the train staff to figure what to charge for a penny.

Thanks to all for insights and thoughts :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Alpinum wrote:
Ian wrote:I saw the bars too. I think he's just turned the bars/wheel around to reverse the rake on the fork, making it more stable for descending?
As stated before, bends in bars for more room. But the rake on the fork is indeed an interesting part.
The Unicycle Penny Farthing has an adjustable fork for the rear wheel, so you can basically adjust rake/HA etc.
That's something I quite like about the Unicycle penny and makes it less likely for me to look for old, used ones.
I’ve studied the photo more closely - I’d confused the white line on the arm of his shirt as part of the bar. A bit cleaner now, especially with reference to the brake lever he’s pulling.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Crikey Gian. :shock: In thirty plus years of rock and Alpine climbing I managed just one accident (broken wrist and dislocated elbow), riding a PF sounds closer to Russian Roulette!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
flyingmonkeycorps

Post by flyingmonkeycorps »

I think there's a club that rides them not far from us (Welton near Hull IIRC), never had a go though. And a good friend has an outdoor theatre company that once did a performance of Don Quixote with a (smallish) penny farthing. That was ace.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My favourite bit of penny farthing trivia is that even now all these years after the 'safety' bicycle became the norm that when you use a 'gear inch' calculator app on your smart phone to compare gear ratios the number it calculates is the equivalent diameter of the penny farthing front wheel which would cover the same distance for one pedal revolution as the geared bike does :smile:

If anyone is interested in cycle history I can recommend Michael Hutchinson's book Re:Cyclists, 200 years on two wheels. It's written is his usual humorous style and crammed full of interesting stories from the early years.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:I’d confused the white line on the arm of his shirt as part of the bar
It does look a bit confusing.
whitestone wrote:Crikey Gian. :shock: In thirty plus years of rock and Alpine climbing I managed just one accident (broken wrist and dislocated elbow), riding a PF sounds closer to Russian Roulette!
I could tell different tales of smashed bodies, broken bones, severe frostbite and all that comes with hypoxia and think my riding (no matter what bike) is rather tame compared to what my mountaineering used to be.
The way and conditions in which I used to climb (in) were probably comparable to riding a penny down the former DH WC and champs track in Champéry, which I don't even think about trying.
flyingmonkeycorps wrote:I think there's a club that rides them not far from us (Welton near Hull IIRC), never had a go though. And a good friend has an outdoor theatre company that once did a performance of Don Quixote with a (smallish) penny farthing. That was ace.
Wish we had one here... This is where Facebook would help :|
sean_iow wrote:My favourite bit of penny farthing trivia is that even now all these years after the 'safety' bicycle became the norm that when you use a 'gear inch' calculator app on your smart phone to compare gear ratios the number it calculates is the equivalent diameter of the penny farthing front wheel which would cover the same distance for one pedal revolution as the geared bike does :smile:

If anyone is interested in cycle history I can recommend Michael Hutchinson's book Re:Cyclists, 200 years on two wheels. It's written is his usual humorous style and crammed full of interesting stories from the early years.
@wesome :-bd I just was going to ask what app it is, until I realised that one revolution equals the diameter and there's no easier way to figure what cadance for what velocity. on my ssp I ride a gearing that takes me very close to riding a 52" wheel would. Thanks for the book recommendation.

"Land's End - John O'Groats: George P. Mills, 5 days 1:45 hours, on 4-9 July 1886. He only slept for six hours during the journey." from here:
http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pennyfarthing.html
Some more good records in there. Obviously, they stand/stood for so long, as the geared safety bike made the penny kind of obsolete, yet, there are some big rides in there. Le-Jog in roughly 5 days. 288 km/day, one gear, one daft bike and the biggest factor likely - road conditions. No tarmac back then...

"I am sharing this guidance because penny farthing riding is experiencing a minor resurgence in popularity" from the Telegraph, June 14th, 2018. Hey, it's even (minor resurgence) popular :-bd

"The cyclists of the day apparently relished their elitism"
[url][/https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... d=40618url]

It's exactly what I need. To look down onto people when cycling :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Lucky me...

During a chat in this afternoons brake I was told that there's a bloke in the village I work, who holds Switzerlands largest vintage bike collection, including 200 years of history. He's got multiple penny farthings for sale and more not for sale. I called him just now and will meet him tomorrow. Should be fun.
I have been in contact with unicycle uk last week (then a visitor from abroad kept me busy) and will post the order after tomorrow's meeting. Most likely...

My girlfriend is informed.
'You're nuts' followed by a more positive than negative 'what ever makes you happy' with that growing look of interest in her eyes. I'm sure she'll not hesitate to give it a try once I have one.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: If anyone is interested in cycle history I can recommend Michael Hutchinson's book Re:Cyclists, 200 years on two wheels. It's written is his usual humorous style and crammed full of interesting stories from the early years.
Just have started reading the book and I'm really enjoying it. So much fun to read and also very informative. I guess it goes on in this fashion and am looking forward much to reading more. Thanks for the recommendation :-bd

Yesteerday I got an email from unicycle. They've been really fast in sorting things out :-bd

jameso

Post by jameso »

Joff Summerfield, been following him on instagram as he's posting pics of his first trip - an incredible thing to do. Can't have been easy to get a loaded PF through those places and I expect the welcome or reception he got was quite unique. Inspiring stuff. A book of his ride would be interesting. Hadn't realised he was off RTW a second time until I looked through the site.
Yesteerday I got an email from unicycle. They've been really fast in sorting things out
I like that fork.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Adjustable HA... have you seen how slack it is :-bd

I'm sat in a bus for a next shuttle run from 2313 m to 622 m with a bike with 65.1 ° HA, reg. trail, 29", 36 mm stanchions, 160 mm travel.

Looking forward to adjusting my riding a bit.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

After all, it's just a bicycle.

After riding it for an hour or so my battered wrists were aching. Some bar adjustments needed, but I'm getting there. Tight corners need less power on the pedals and getting off I tend to forget how high it is. So far superb fun :-bd
I can imagine loads of riding on this thing will help my body in a few spots.

Well worth the investment. Build quality is plain functional. The frame's insides are untreated (quite some rusty dust at the ports), as with Surly and many other steel frames. It could have been better protected for the transport.
I like the wheels. Nice rims, seemingly well built wheels. Left the rear brake on, have not used it yet besides a small test to see how it responds - feels good.
It goes slower than I anticipated, I did expect e road bike, but it's actually about the same as my Bold, or a bit less. Perhaps I've overtightenend the hub clamp a bit.

Fun when the learning curve is steep.

My girlfriend only made vids from me riding... wobbling around, so here's a serious comparison of the geometry of my old bike and my new one:

Ian

Post by Ian »

Love the contrast between those two bikes, Gian :-bd

The evolution of the bicycle as shown there is quite remarkable.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

sean_iow wrote:
Ian wrote:As a slight aside - did anyone see/ hear that Mark Beaumont attempted to break the penny farthing hour world record. A record that has stood for 130 years. He missed it by 200 metres.
I saw that, didn't he beat the British record but missed out on the world record?
Vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpAkhMmD3WA