Tent choices

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jethro

Tent choices

Post by Jethro »

Ok, so kinda sorted on bags etc.
The big shock to me, being so new to this that I've never actually done it yet! is volume. all my nice wild camping stuff won't fit on a bike.
So, tents. What tent, or tent styles do you choose and why? is weight as much of an issue as stuff is generally strapped to your bike rather than your back?

Not interested in Bivvys at this time, possibly never, as I'm old and broken and need a bit of space to live in........

EDIT:
3 season only
only for 1 person, but I'm used to a 2 person for myself for wild camping, so like the space.

J
Last edited by Jethro on Tue May 29, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
whitestone

Re: Tent choices

Post by whitestone »

Oh, crikey! Volume, bulk or whatever you want to call it is a problem on a bike. There's a few threads on here about it and it takes as much if not more thought than reducing weight. I take it you've read the TLS blog post (over on the "Reviews" section)? I'll assume late spring through to autumn rather than winter as well.

In one of the aforementioned threads, Stu mentioned 35 litres as being the maximum practical bikepacking storage and having worked at reducing both weight and volume over the last three or so years that does seem achievable or even on the large side. There's no problem with having stuff on your back but it's putting weight higher up so can affect the bike handling as well.

My smallest tent is a Terra Nova Lasercomp. A very tight squeeze for two using karrimats but there's only room for one if you use an inflatable mat like the NeoAir or Exped because of the sloping walls. The main problem once you want more volume is that the tents pack bigger and they are made of much lighter materials so you need to be much more careful when pitching. Have a look at https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... elters-c25 but make sure you are sat down as some of the prices are eye watering.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

If you're not in a huge hurry to get something, have a look on Ali Express at "3f UL Gear" - they make some very nice lightweight tents at a good price, lots of different styles to suit your needs. I've had a few bits of gear off them and been very happy, just as good as anything you'll buy in the UK!
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

So I've spent 10 minutes looking for reviews section until I realise it was at the top level of the domain and not on the forum!
No, not read it, but looking now.

Not at all adverse to Aliexpress stuff and have knowledge of naturehike and 3f ul gear stuff. I'll take a closer look.

At the weekend I said to the wife over a beer in the garden that I was ready to throw in the towel over all this as it was getting too hard to figure out.
She said, you only have those micro towels the size of a postage stamp and weighing about 9g, who's going to care if you throw one of those in!

J
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The SMD Lunar Solo is fast becoming a bikepacking favourite ... and with good cause. It's very easy / quick to pitch, has a small packsize, weighs very little (even by the standards of this place) and when compared to many others, isn't too expensive. Don't be put off by the single skin nature, it's much more of a hybrid design than a true single skin tent.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Throw in the 9g towel" :lol: I like that one :smile:.

Space = 10 x 8 tarp = 500g (*) = baked beans tin volume :-bd

(*) or 220g if £££.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I use a terra nova solar photon 2
packs small, lightweight, best not look at the price.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Vango helium 100 which is an ace wee tent. More recently I went with an SMD Deschutes with either a groundsheet only, lightweight bivvy bag or mesh inner - makes for a good 'tent' option at 850gs with proper pegs and one of Stus carbon poles.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:The SMD Lunar Solo is fast becoming a bikepacking favourite ...
Been on the lookout for one of these for a while. There seems to be a right shortage of stock. Did read something about an updated version but no idea when /if that is likely to appear.
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Thanks,
I'll take a look at some of these.

Seems like the same options os wild camping.
For some reason, I thought there may be some trick bike based ones using the bike as one of the poles or something.
I guess pole length becomes an issue as well.

J
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I thought there may be some trick bike based ones using the bike as one of the poles or something.
Topeak make one .... it's awful.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Just to add on the SMD Lunar Solo - I have one and have used it for about 60 nights in 2 years. Its a great lightweight tent, but mine is looking pretty sorry these days, where as I have heavier terra nova tents still going strong after over 10 years use. The light weight does come at the expense of durability.

Also due to the sloping walls if you are over about 5'10" tall then either your feet or head will be touching the tent and picking up any condensation.

A great tent though that can be pitched in under 2 minutes with loads of room inside
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

mechanicaldope wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:The SMD Lunar Solo is fast becoming a bikepacking favourite ...
Been on the lookout for one of these for a while. There seems to be a right shortage of stock. Did read something about an updated version but no idea when /if that is likely to appear.
Was looking myself and seems that they have discontinued the lunar for a new more durable version what is yet to appear , started looking at trekker tent now
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

I've a 3f gear one with a fab carbon pole from Stu which works great for me with a small porch and room inside the sleep area for some bits and pieces too.
Phil
@philg1971 Instagram
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Laurensdad wrote:I've a 3f gear one with a fab carbon pole from Stu which works great for me with a small porch and room inside the sleep area for some bits and pieces too.
Phil
Would that be the Lanshan 1?
On any trekking pole replacements ones, how you you protect the end of the pole/tent interface?

J
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On any trekking pole replacements ones, how you you protect the end of the pole/tent interface?
Generally, there's a reinforcement sewn in but anything to form a cushion / spread the load will work ... half a ping-pong ball, a glove or whatever's to hand.